100 Mile Club, 200 km, 300 km, 200 Mile Club (24kWh LEAF)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Edy said:
Hi Everybody:
sorry if this not the correct place for put this trad.

well, here in Ensenada, the speed limit is 25 MPH City And 38 MPH highway, The Weather is around 70F almost all the year (45F the lowest in winter and 95F the highest in summer) and the best most of the terrain are flat, so here it´s very easy drive the leaf over 100 miles every time i recharge it.

my 2012 Leaf is not new i brought it at Salvage Car auction, so the battery pack is around 90% of it´s capacity but 113 miles is my maximum range until today. as i learn more about how drive it i got more miles every time.

thanks to all
Edy

Hi Every one:
yesterday i did something great, drive my Leaf At The Ensenada Bay tourist corridor, is a scenic flat road, at sea level. with the beautiful Pacific ocean with you all the way. my first goal was to hit the turtle for the first time since i has the Car and know how far i can go with one charge, but after more than 6 hours driving at the 40 miles loop. (i did 3 complete loops) and at midday rush hour (Tourism Sunday), and wait for many red stop lights, i decide to go back home Tired and hungry, with very low battery charge warning. at the finish of the experiment, the dashboard cluster give this data:

Weather: between 68 to 72 F
Average Energy Saving: 7.3 Miles/Kwh
Average Speed: 19.3 MPH
Distance: 125.7 miles (202.3 Km)
Elapsed Time: 6:29 hours
Final note: I never met a turtle :(

i had some pictures if is necessary

Regards
Edy

Edy said:
Edy said:
Hi Everybody:
sorry if this not the correct place for put this trad.

well, here in Ensenada, the speed limit is 25 MPH City And 38 MPH highway, The Weather is around 70F almost all the year (45F the lowest in winter and 95F the highest in summer) and the best most of the terrain are flat, so here it´s very easy drive the leaf over 100 miles every time i recharge it.

my 2012 Leaf is not new i brought it at Salvage Car auction, so the battery pack is around 90% of it´s capacity but 113 miles is my maximum range until today. as i learn more about how drive it i got more miles every time.

thanks to all
Edy

Hi Every one:
yesterday i did something great, drive my Leaf At The Ensenada Bay tourist corridor, is a scenic flat road, at sea level. with the beautiful Pacific ocean with you all the way. my first goal was to hit the turtle for the first time since i has the Car and know how far i can go with one charge, but after more than 6 hours driving at the 40 miles loop. (i did 3 complete loops) and at midday rush hour (Tourism Sunday), and wait for many red stop lights, i decide to go back home Tired and hungry, with very low battery charge warning. at the finish of the experiment, the dashboard cluster give this data:

i had some pictures if is necessary

Regards
Edy
want to share this picture with you guys, taken this morning before leave my home.
i know there are many incredulous people in the world, but is not my fault born and live in the paradise of the long distance trip on single charge.
Perfect Weather, flat roads, 25 MPH speed limit, long errands at sea level.
GygWN5E.jpg

Edy said:

Welcome to the 200km Club (and only the 12th to achieve that threshold) !!!

The 300km and 200 Mile Club are still available !!!

DougWantsALeaf said:
Has anyone done 200 miles yet? I recall leaffan doing 181, but has anyone surpassed it yet?

Nope. But with the hottest battery (maybe a 122F / 50C day or just DC quick charge repeatedly until the battery is nice and toasty hot) should be over 22kWh usable on a new condition battery (one that can hold 281-284 GID).

Therefore, 200 miles divided by 22kWh = 9.09 miles per kWh (110 wattHours per mile) !!!

Therefore, 321.87km divided by 22kWh = 14.63km per kWh (68 wattHours per km / 6.8kWh per 100 km) !!!

I would recommend the highest level elevation that can be found on the hottest day (for lowest aerodynamic drag) with the hottest battery (for most energy storage) with a new condition battery and about 12-15 mph (19km/h - 24km/h) steady speed (not stopping or slowing, and then accelerating).

Needless to say, no spare weight in the car, no climate control, no headlights, no seat heaters, etc. Tires must be fully inflated.

It will take 13-16 hours to complete this. Bring water and lunch!!! I might also recommend one of those portable coolers so you don't get heat stroke.

NOTE: cars with battery temperature management will likely be more efficient at lower temperatures (77F-90F / 25C-33C), since the system will consume oodles of power trying to cool the battery.

NOTE 2: cars with different weight, motor types (DC, AC synchronous, AC induction), gearing, tires, etc will have different "ideal" speeds. On a Tesla Model S, that speed is about 25mph / 40km/h.

I had a productive day yesterday.. 106 miles with 35 remaining on the GOM. Sadly it was not my Leaf but rather Tony's RAV :/ Thanks Tony

TonyWilliams said:
Edy said:
i do my maths homework, and is almost impossible to achieve 300 km.
do it to the age of my Leaf and the 15.3K miles showing today.
i calculate that i had a maximum of 19 kw usable battery capacity.
186.5/19=9.9 M/Kw
i think impossible but i will tried next Sunday and i will drive until hit the turtle.
let you know what's happened down here,
and thanks for give me the credits for the 12th in the 200Km club..

Regards
Edy
Welcome to the 200km Club (and only the 12th to achieve that threshold) !!!

The 300km and 200 Mile Club are still available !!!

TonyWilliams said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
Has anyone done 200 miles yet? I recall leaffan doing 181, but has anyone surpassed it yet?

Nope. But with the hottest battery (maybe a 122F / 50C day or just DC quick charge repeatedly until the battery is nice and toasty hot) should be over 22kWh usable on a new condition battery (one that can hold 281-284 GID).

Therefore, 200 miles divided by 22kWh = 9.09 miles per kWh (110 wattHours per mile) !!!

Therefore, 321.87km divided by 22kWh = 14.63km per kWh (68 wattHours per km / 6.8kWh per 100 km) !!!

I would recommend the highest level elevation that can be found on the hottest day (for lowest aerodynamic drag) with the hottest battery (for most energy storage) with a new condition battery and about 12-15 mph (19km/h - 24km/h) steady speed (not stopping or slowing, and then accelerating).

Needless to say, no spare weight in the car, no climate control, no headlights, no seat heaters, etc. Tires must be fully inflated.

It will take 13-16 hours to complete this. Bring water and lunch!!! I might also recommend one of those portable coolers so you don't get heat stroke.

NOTE: cars with battery temperature management will likely be more efficient at lower temperatures (77F-90F / 25C-33C), since the system will consume oodles of power trying to cool the battery.

NOTE 2: cars with different weight, motor types (DC, AC synchronous, AC induction), gearing, tires, etc will have different "ideal" speeds. On a Tesla Model S, that speed is about 25mph / 40km/h.
Just for reference, first persons I know of to have exceeded 100 miles on a charge, at least in the U.S., were Hiram Percy Maxim and Justus B. Entz, who reached 100 miles (with a bit of charge left) at an average speed of 12.9 mph on November 17, 1899, apparently on a route back and forth between Atlantic City and Philadelphia. This was in a specially made runabout.

Emil Gruenfeldt, who worked for Baker Motor Vehicle Company, achieved 160.8 miles on a charge @ 13.4 mph in 1909, and 201.6 miles @ an average speed of 12.75 mph on Aug. 30, 1910. Someone, possibly Gruenfeldt, achieved 244.1 miles in a standard Baker with Edison NiFe batteries later in 1910, judging by an old Baker ad.

Edited to add info and correct a few dates. Re-edited to correct the corrected dates to the proper century. :oops:

I made it! With room to spare, too!
On the road:
IMAG0483.jpg

At work where I charge:
IMAG0488.jpg

Edit: smaller pictures. 800 wide, instead of 4300… :)
Also, at work I hit the VLB, so the range left read as "---"

Four more 100+ mile trips since my last posting last Spring on p 71.

That makes 22 total 100+ mile-on-an-"100%"-charge trips on my LEAF (not including the multiple 100+ mile trips utilizing net descent) the last eight made after losing capacity bar 12 last August.

To sum it up, still no perceptible loss of range on this mountainous and low-speed route, since I started range/capacity test back in the Summer of 2011, as the increase in vehicle efficiency has continued to very closely offset the loss in available battery capacity.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9064" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

5/25/14:
104.4 odometer miles to ~VLBW, 15.1 kWh.

6/15/14:
102.0 odometer miles to ~VLBW, 15.0 kWh.

Those two were (fairly closely) time and temperature matched range tests to gauge changes in efficiency and changes in both nominal (dash, nav screen and CarWings reported) and actual.

Not much change since my tests posted last October:

10/6/13
15.1 kWh, 100.0 miles. (new speed/route/tire pressure standard, 48PSI @ ~70F...

10/26/13
15.3 kWh 103.0 miles. (NSRTP standard re-test)

The last two were maximum range tests. Driving speeds were much slower, and ambient (and the battery pack) temperatures were much hotter than my present test standard.

For the first time since delivery, I took my pack below ~VLBW. I had to do a lot of work on an old logging track to improve it into a LEAF-able route to my home bypassing the ~200 ft. turtle-killer climb that is my driveway.

6/30/14:
109.3 miles to VLBW, 14.9 KWH (at~200 ft higher altitude than start point)
121.0 odometer miles to 10 gids, 16.2 kWh.

7/13/14:
109.2 miles to VLBW, 15.0 KWH (at~200 ft higher altitude than start point).
126.1 miles to turtle (5 gids ), 17.0 kWh.

All miles above are as reported by odometer. Due to tire wear, the odometer was reporting ~0.002 high on these last four tests. I replaced my OE tires last week, at ~28,700 miles, so I'll expect new results for odometer accuracy, and, due to the (noticeable!) increase in rolling resistance a loss of range-for the first time since I got my LEAF, on my next range test.

KWH use is as reported by dash M/kWh, nav screen M/kWh and Carwings, trip (ERS) and daily.

I believe I now have a pretty good estimate of both the actual Wh per reported kWh at this time, and also the actual loss of capacity my pack has experienced since delivery, which I'll post on-topic on another thread.

mctom987 said:
I made it! With room to spare, too!
On the road:
IMAG0483.jpg

At work where I charge:
IMAG0488.jpg

Edit: smaller pictures. 800 wide, instead of 4300… :)
Also, at work I hit the VLB, so the range left read as "---"

Hello Mr. 86 !!!

Congrats on making it look easy, and best wishes at your club Indoctination course, scheduled to begin shortly. Please study all the materials sent to you to prepare you for your course, keeping special note of the parts with big smily faces and skull and cross bones.

I've taken the liberty of ordering your club dinner jacket in our usual "one size fits all". I hope you don't mind too much if it doesn't fit, as they rarely do.

Anyhoo, welcome aboard and we will see you at the club soon.

Tony Williams
100 Mile Club Member Emeritus

127mi = 204km, 6.1mi/kWh

:D

I don't think I'll ever hit the 300km or 200mi marks. At 200mi, that's over 9.5mi/kWh. About double my running average.

IMAG4195.jpg
IMAG4196.jpg
2014_07_29_19.59.39.png

Humbly submitted, after a quite busy day.

For those familiar with the New York Capital Region, this was a 8 mile errand within Clifton Park, then Schenectady, to downtown Albany (via I-890/I-90 at 65MPH), back to Schenectady (@65MPH again with A/C!!), Latham, Mechanicville, Ballston Spa, then back home to Clifton Park. 60-80F ambient throughout the day.

I didn't realize this was a 100 mile contender until about mile 70, which is why the high speed and air conditioning. At that point I could have charged, but I decided to just go for it instead. So the last 30 miles are so I was working pretty hard to hyper it.

No discernible capacity loss after 17,000 miles, BTW.

I had a lot of stops to make yesterday and put about 80 miles on the car and it still showed 24% SOC, so I decided to go for 100 miles today. I did get the LBW at 90 miles, but didn't ever get the VLBW. The GOM went from 9 to "---" at about 100 miles, so I headed home to plug it in. The actual trip miles were 104, but I forgot to reset the meter until I had gone about 1.5 miles yesterday. I had the AC on nearly all the time and the average speed was 22 mph, so a little under 5 hours driving, and it was fun!

100%2Bmile%2Btrip.jpg

billg said:
I had a lot of stops to make yesterday and put about 80 miles on the car and it still showed 24% SOC, so I decided to go for 100 miles today. I did get the LBW at 90 miles, but didn't ever get the VLBW. The GOM went from 9 to "---" at about 100 miles, so I headed home to plug it in. The actual trip miles were 104...

With the great power bequeathed me, I doth hereunto and forever shall refer to you as Mr. 88, with the full rights and privileges of said appointment.

Please try and keep your jacket pressed, proudly displaying both your 100 Mile Club membership patch and the number "88" anytime while at the club.

Exactly 12 lifetime memberships remain within the club to be dispersed only to the next 12 successfully qualifying candidates. Failure to provide your application in triplicate will result in a mandatory reapplication (also in triplicate) after a 30 day probationary period.

Tony Williams

billg said:
I had a lot of stops to make yesterday and put about 80 miles on the car and it still showed 24% SOC, so I decided to go for 100 miles today. I did get the LBW at 90 miles, but didn't ever get the VLBW. The GOM went from 9 to "---" at about 100 miles, so I headed home to plug it in. The actual trip miles were 104, but I forgot to reset the meter until I had gone about 1.5 miles yesterday. I had the AC on nearly all the time and the average speed was 22 mph, so a little under 5 hours driving, and it was fun!

100%2Bmile%2Btrip.jpg

FYI; "_ _ _" means you did hit VLBW

Please accept my application for membership - I was able to hit 227km after a five-hour-run.
The conditions were close to perfect - air temp 15-20c, battery temp a bit over 20c. Little wind, little rain, no heat or AC, mostly flat surface (start and finish at the same place), but DRL on all the way. Average speed was 50km/h for 200 kms and then it dropped as I was trying to empty the battery going round the block... Finally, got bored at 6 Gids, so no turtle for me.
Strangely, LeafSpy reported last gids as really huge (instead of typical 80Wh, they lasted for 200-300Wh).
Some evidence:
Start:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xvyskm2kr5z9nqy/2014-08-16-05-59-42.jpg

At 100 kms:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qv7l0pak08fhpre/2014-08-16-08-29-43.jpg

Finally:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lwsdlkxs0spvf8p/2014-08-16 13.31.00.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1tfmvg4y3pw5ouj/2014-08-16-13-30-01.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tre68n125b99a57/2014-08-16-13-32-20.jpg

Janno

janno said:
Please accept my application for membership - I was able to hit 227km after a five-hour-run.

With the immense power bequeathed unto me, I doth hereunto and forever shall refer to you as Mr. 89, with the full rights and privileges of said appointment. In addition, you are now a full member in the 200km Club.

Please try and keep your jacket pressed, proudly displaying both your 100 Mile Club membership patch and the number "89" anytime while at the club.

Exactly 11 lifetime memberships remain within the club to be dispersed only to the next 12 successfully qualifying candidates. Failure to provide your application in triplicate will result in a mandatory reapplication (also in triplicate) after a 30 day probationary period.

Tony Williams

Back