How to stop iPhone automatically playing when connected?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BerryK

Hi. I searched this section AND the Navigation owners manual without finding a solution.

When I connect my iPhone to a USB cable plugged into my 2014 LEAF, it starts playing music right away. If I'm ALREADY listening to the radio, this is very annoying.

Is there a way to disable this automatic switching of the audio source?

BerryK said:
Hi. I searched this section AND the Navigation owners manual without finding a solution.

When I connect my iPhone to a USB cable plugged into my 2014 LEAF, it starts playing music right away. If I'm ALREADY listening to the radio, this is very annoying.

This is the single most annoying thing about the LEAF. Drives me crazy. The best solution I've come up with so far is to remove all music from my iPhone. It still tries to play it, stops anything else that was going on, but at least doesn't start playing all the time.

dm33 said:
BerryK said:

This is the single most annoying thing about the LEAF. Drives me crazy. The best solution I've come up with so far is to remove all music from my iPhone. It still tries to play it, stops anything else that was going on, but at least doesn't start playing all the time.

dm33 said:

Seems a little extreme. Are you plugging / unplugging iPhones in that much that you can't just switch the music back when you plug it in? If so you should probably get a cigarette lighter 12v USB charger and use that instead of the built in port.

dgalvan said:
I agree this is annoying. Would love a solution as well.

Unfortunately most of my cars do the exact same thing, when you plug in iPhone/iPod they just switch and play...most alphabetically but one is totally random!

Sick of hearing the first 3-4 bars of "ABC" over and over and over again....

I asked at the dealership, and they didn't know how either. Oh well, if this is the most annoying thing about my new car, I figure I came out ahead!

Good news! I found that if I plug in the iPhone BEFORE "starting" the car, it doesn't auto-play.

epirali said:
dgalvan said:
I agree this is annoying. Would love a solution as well.

Unfortunately most of my cars do the exact same thing, when you plug in iPhone/iPod they just switch and play...most alphabetically but one is totally random!

Sick of hearing the first 3-4 bars of "ABC" over and over and over again....

Probably better than hearing the start of "Abbey Road Documentary" every time I plug in the iPhone.

BerryK said:
Good news! I found that if I plug in the iPhone BEFORE "starting" the car, it doesn't auto-play.

i will certainly try this today. it's true that the iPhone will start to play the first song you ever loaded into your library, on ANY capable car, when connected via USB. THAT is something i want to kill apple for doing.

weirdly enough, if i'm on a bluetooth phone call and plug in my USB for charging, the song starts playing while on the phone call and WILL NOT STOP no matter what i do. the only option is to force-quit the app, which really doesn't keep my eyes on the road....

Actually this behaviour is one of the few thing that I actually do like about the iphone.

For me, I use my phone to listen to podcasts or music in the car via bluethooth, and what you get is a literally hands-free experience, because as long as you have the bluetooth on when you get in the car, it just starts playing, leaving you free to do drive.

In contrast, when I had an Android phone for a while (Samsung S4) it was a struggle to get the thing to connect to bluetooth in the car consistently, let alone automatically. I preferred the Galaxy phone in all other respects, but being a podcast freak, I like this seamless experience with the bluetooth on the iphone.

As an aside to this, the reason I dont use the mini-jack plugin, is I find that it doesnt really improve audio quality discernibly - not on the Samsung and not on the iphone either. Which I found surprising, but in that case well bluetooth all the way. So auto-play is a huge plus.

I realise that bluetooth audio is not a lossless quality, but I think that really says a lot about how bad the analog plug-in quality is. Whether this is down to the analog audio circuit in the car or the quality of the line-out on smartphones, I dont know. But it is what it is.

BerryK said:
My Prius and my new Leaf do the same thing with Iphone. I will try your suggestion. Thanks.

BerryK said:

I tried it this morning and it still queued up the music even when plugging it in before starting the car... :cry:

I should a new data point - since my last post I went back to Android again (move from Iphone 5S to new Samsung Note 4).

The bluetooth behaviour on the Android is much better now - it now autoconnects and autoplays if you have bluetooth turned on and your podcast or music paused.

Also found that in the bluetooth settings of the Note 4 there is also a toggle to turn of the autoplay/autoconnect if you prefer that.

BerryK said:

I use a charger plug placed in the aux power source for charging with USB cables. Since there is no data connection it will not trigger the internal audio switch over. Yes it is not a software solution and you will have to buy a power plug, I have been using a two port model - e.g.

http://store.griffintechnology.com/iphone/powerjolt-dual-universal-micro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So I can have phone and dedicated android for logging data from the LEAF Spy application.

I don't use the USB Jack at all. I use BT to spool music to the LEAF and if I need to charge I have Y cigarette lighter adapter plugged into the 12V Cig Lighter plug with a Dual USB car charger.

6400 reviews, 4.5 stars : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088U4YAG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And I use one of these because I need to plug in my DashCAM as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Roadpro-Platinum-Cigarette-Lighter-Adapter/dp/B0016LE80K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1420757438&sr=8-2&keywords=cig+lighter+splitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wanted to revive this old thread to see if anything has changed since 2015. I get suuuuper annoyed by the seemingly-inconsistent behavior of how music gets handed off between the car and my phone. I've used both iPhone and Android in my Leaf, and both have their own irritating quirks.

Has anyone discovered a way to consistently stop the autoplay (in newer Leafs)?

Back