Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you, now I know I made the right choice when I bought and later resisted the temptation to dump the car. Indeed, good things come to those who wait!

What an awesome surprise! With over 60K miles on mine I can now confidently say that I've saved enough on gas to pay for the replacement of the battery. Everything above that is "bonus". Now I'm back at being in love with my LEAF!

I've only read the first post so far, but

THANKS NISSAN!!!

This is an acceptable solution. It's not everything I could have hoped for, but it is workable. I would have liked the option to keep my old battery for personal use, but I understand the need for a way to keep packs available for new cars by only selling to current owners. The required trade in seems to accomplish that without too many headaches.

Very nice surprise. How long do we have to wait to learn not just the MSRP but the invoice price as well?

Awesome news. :)

I was bummed that I finally lost a bar... but this brightens my day.

Now I should definitely be able to drive the thing until the wheels fall off. :)

Awesome!
I am glad Nissan did the right thing!

The bad PR last year generated a lot of angst, but this seems like a happy end for this story!

SharonaLA said:
Quick question. How much is the average range on the 2015 battery compared to our. 2011 batteries?
It should be the same as when it was new, but hopefully it will not lose range as quickly.

Now the wait...

...for the brave soul who plunks the money down, gets the lizard, and tells us all about it.

One thing that gives me a little pause is this statement: "Changes in battery chemistry, however, have been made in an effort to make the battery more durable in extremely hot climates."

This sounds like they have left themselves some wiggle room because 1) they are not absolutely certain it will be better or how much better and/or 2) it may actually turn out to not be that much better...

There is something else I'd like to push for, now that Nissan has seen the light on this:

For those not "black-listed" with the B0133 notation against their cars, I'd like to see an upgrade path under warranty replacement, so that an owner can get the lizard pack and update hardware rather than a remanufactured/new battery pack of the old type shipped from Japan. Preferably at no additional cost (can't be any less to freight from Japan than it would be to giving up a couple of hundred bucks of hardware, right?), but at nominal cost if Nissan feels that's what is has to do.

Good point. I wonder what happened to the coupon that warranty replacement people were told they would get for a lizard battery later...

mwalsh said:
For those not "black-listed" with the B0133 notation against their cars, I'd like to see an upgrade path under warranty replacement, so that an owner get get the lizard pack and update hardware rather than a remanufactured/new battery pack of the old type shipped from Japan. Preferably at no additional cost (can't be any less to freight from Japan than it would be to giving up a couple of hundred bucks of hardware, right?), but at nominal cost if Nissan feels that's what is has to do.

I have to say, after all the gnashing of teeth, assumptions, and frustration this is not what everyone expected. I am a newer owner, very happy with my Leaf and have been recommending it to people with caveat of range and loss of battery.

But to be able to say you can plan the cost of new batteries as part of your ownership is an amazing plus. And it truly is very reasonable. Considering a new Tesla battery is around $40K (yes I know it is 3x the capacity) this is quite reasonable.

I am not sure why everyone expected Nissan not to come through after all the money and effort they have put into a genuine EV available nationwide.

Truly well done, glad to be a customer and can't wait to see what's in the plans for Nissan and EV next. I'll be the first in line.

JPWhite said:
TomT said:
One has to assume that they are not losing money at $5,500 retail so the cost of the battery must be equal to or less than this...

That's a brave assumption.
That is my assumption too. Infact this is the "retail" price - their cost should be lesser. That is why I posted earlier < $275/kWh.

TomT said:
Good point. I wonder what happened to the coupon that warranty replacement people were told they would get for a lizard battery later...

I've confirmed this is still going to happen, though I expect the logistics of how exactly it will work were probably being sorted in parallel with this effort and the lizard battery becoming available to dealers. Now that it has, details should be forthcoming.

mwalsh said:
For those not "black-listed" with the B0133 notation against their cars, I'd like to see an upgrade path under warranty replacement, so that an owner get get the lizard pack and update hardware rather than a remanufactured/new battery pack of the old type shipped from Japan. Preferably at no additional cost (can't be any less to freight from Japan than it would be to giving up a couple of hundred bucks of hardware, right?), but at nominal cost if Nissan feels that's what is has to do.

I've not heard anything other than that warranty replacements would be done with the lizard pack, once they were available. That's been the suggestion since the hot pack was announced last Aug.

Back