3 rd bar loss

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sksingh said:
Updated readings as of 19June2014

AHr 44.73
SOH 68%
Hx 61.46%
Mileage 38260

Fourth bar loss is imminent.
Question is whether it is beneficial to delay the warranty replacement.
Welcome any feedback.
Thanks
MY2015 LEAFs are rumored to have the "hot battery" technology that Andy Palmer promised for the spring of 2014. If I were you, I would ensure that I was getting a MY2015 installed instead of an earlier battery. I doubt you will need to delay, since you haven't lost the fourth bar, yet.

sksingh said:

AHr 44.73
SOH 68%
Hx 61.46%
Mileage 38260

Welcome any feedback.
Thanks

I wouldn't totally bet your 4th bar is imminent. The highest ever reading for a 4 bar loss was 46.6 that was posted here on MNL forums. The lowest was 43.05. TickTock currently has 42.48 and hasn't lost his 4th bar; I have 43.17 and have not lost my 4th bar (if you notice both are well below the 66.25%). So the issue may not be an issue with delaying the replacement for a hot battery, you may have a month(s) until the 4th bar goes away, or you could get lucky and get the loss early.

Unfortunately, there is no practical way to know what battery they will install in your Leaf as a replacement... Those who received the current battery as a replacement were supposed to get a coupon for the later "High Temp" battery but that had never occurred to my knowledge...

RegGuheert said:
MY2015 LEAFs are rumored to have the "hot battery" technology that Andy Palmer promised for the spring of 2014. If I were you, I would ensure that I was getting a MY2015 installed instead of an earlier battery.

TomT said:
Unfortunately, there is no practical way to know what battery they will install in your Leaf as a replacement... Those who received the current battery as a replacement were supposed to get a coupon for the later "High Temp" battery but that had never occurred to my knowledge...
Unfortunately, you are correct on all counts. I will say that Chelsea and I recently requested that Nissan provide more transparency on this topic. Hopefully that will be forthcoming sooner rather than later.

RegGuheert said:
MY2015 LEAFs are rumored to have the "hot battery" technology that Andy Palmer promised for the spring of 2014. If I were you, I would ensure that I was getting a MY2015 installed instead of an earlier battery. I doubt you will need to delay, since you haven't lost the fourth bar, yet.

I've also heard that, after 2015, battery degradation due to heat will "not be an issue".

sksingh said:

AHr 44.73
SOH 68%
Hx 61.46%
Mileage 38260

Welcome any feedback.
Thanks
You will only get one battery. If you own or plan to buy at lease end I will suggest you wait as long as possible. I would at least try to wait until after summer so the coming heat can cook the old battery. If leasing and plan to give back then replace asap to get the most use out of it.

Phatcat73 said:
I would time it for the end of summer or Fall in order to get the hot battery and get a good understanding of its range prior to following summer.

That's the ticket! Since I'm about a year away, I'm assuming I'll get a "hot pack" battery replacement (or it will NEVER be here).

bbrowncods said:
Will the replacement be a entirely new complete pack, or a few replacement modules to get back up to 70%ish SOH?
My guess would be closer to 100% rather than 70%. They won't want the car to come back for another replacement in 6 months - those replacements undoubtedly cost Nissan a lot of money in terms of labor, shipment and administrative costs.

I'd guess you're more likely to get a 100% pack now vs months down the road when refurbished stock piles up and Nissan figures out how to replace cells vs packs at their dealerships.

Capacity degradation, as opposed to an actual cell failure, tends to affect all cells relatively similarly so replacing just a few cells will not do much to restore capacity. Thus, I doubt you will ever see only a cell swap under the capacity warranty.

Phatcat73 said:
I'd guess you're more likely to get a 100% pack now vs months down the road when refurbished stock piles up and Nissan figures out how to replace cells vs packs at their dealerships.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond.
I own this car, and except for the range I love this car.
Will update when I lose the fourth bar.

Don't think capacity warranty replacements will ever be cell swaps.
When they finally roll out the second annual battery rental steal your battery program which Nissan indicates will be soon, some people probably in the PNW will join the program with battery that only has one or two bars loss. That battery will go into the LEAF of someone who qualifies for capacity warranty replacement but is somewhat close to the mileage or time limit :shock: :eek: :(

It's interesting that Nissan chose to warranty the battery based on capacity bars and not true amp hour capacity of the battery. It seems that the correlation of Ah and capacity bar loss is all over the board. I lost first bar around 24k, second around 26 or 27k and have yet to lose the third. I'm at over 41k now. I finally got a LEAF DD a few months ago, so only have post-2nd lost bar info, but my Ah has been around 50 for some time, but as soon as summer hit, it started falling. Down to 49.18 now. I have no idea when my third bar will drop, but I can still get about 60 miles mixed city/high speed driving in on a full charge. FWIW, I ALWAYS charge to 100% as soon as I get home, but I park out of the sun most of the time at home and work.

I'm anxiously following the MB B class Electric Drive and Kia Soul EV as the BMW i3, though a BLAST to drive, is simply too small for me and my family. The Mercedes is, well, a Mercedes - but the Soul has ventilated front seats! A seriously good feature in Texas.

This discussion has moved towards battery replacement discussion, but I wanted to let you know that today (3 years 1+months) - at just over 120,000 miles, bar 3 disappeared. GIDS were 195 this morning. Hit QC twice and it was gone.

I'll update other information later but the thread topic is appropriate for this situation.

TaylorSFGuy said:
This discussion has moved towards battery replacement discussion, but I wanted to let you know that today (3 years 1+months) - at just over 120,000 miles, bar 3 disappeared. GIDS were 195 this morning.

That's probably what Nissan envisaged for all of us. What a shame it didn't shake out that way.

TaylorSFGuy said:
This discussion has moved towards battery replacement discussion, but I wanted to let you know that today (3 years 1+months) - at just over 120,000 miles, bar 3 disappeared. GIDS were 195 this morning. Hit QC twice and it was gone.

I'll update other information later but the thread topic is appropriate for this situation.

thats over 100 miles per day average. Id say the battery has held up quite well. Just guessing... you probably quick charged at least once most days?

Back