Nissan Leaf RANGE EXTENDER

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VIALeafProject

Good afternoon everyone!! We are two engineering Spanish students doing our final project at VIA University College, Horsens, Denmark. We are studying the posibility of installing a little gasoline engine in a Nissan Leaf to increase its autonomy. As many of you are users of this car (or any other electric car) we would appreciate your help answering a brief surve, no longer than a minute. Thanks in advance for your help ;)

In the 0-5 answers, 0 means "I completely disagree" and 5 means "I completely agree", so use the numbers in this range to say how you feel with these sentences.

1. Is the electric car your second car or you only have this one? (yes/no)
2. My electric car is mostly used in urban trips (0 to 5)
3. I make trips above the expected autonomy of my car (0 to 5)
4. I think that the reduced autonomy (compared to gasoline/diesel cars) is a problem in electric cars (0 to 5)
5. I would like to have more autonomy instantly (without waiting electricity recharges over half an hour) (0 to 5)
6. I feel identified with the term range anxiety (to be worried for not having enough battery to complete my route with an electric car) (0 to 5)
7. I would purchase a kit which allow my car increase its autonomy by fueling some gasoline (0 to 5)
8. I would renounce to some load space in the trunk for gaining some autonomy (0 to 5)
9. I would like that the kit mentioned above would be removable, allowing this way using all the trunk space when necessary (0 to 5)
10. The maximum amount of money I would pay for this kit would be:

1) Only
2) 5
3) 3
4) 5
5) 5
6) 0. I rent a car when going on longer trips
7) 1. I would prefer to rent a trailer that did this. Bonus points if the trailer has space for extra luggage.
8) 1
9) 3
10) Talking about renting a trailer:
Should be half the price it costs to rent a car. Bonus points if it has a big gas tank so I can go 700 miles without stopping.

1. Primary Car (secondary is a hybrid)
2. 2
3. 1
4. 2
5. 1
6. 1
7. 2
8. 2
9. 5
10. Since we are talking about turning a Leaf into a BMW i3 with REx, let's say about $4k is the going rate for a range extender.

Since the cargo area is open to the passenger compartment,
having the possibility of gas and exhaust fumes in the cargo area
might be unwise, perhaps even illegal in some areas.

A small sized gas engine and generator is unlikely to add
much range to the car during normal driving time (1 to 2 hours),
even with the gas engine running the entire time.

However, if you just intend to charge the car while parked,
or extend the range by 10 or 20 percent, that might be possible.

What do you have in mind, please?

If I wanted a ICE as a generator (along with all the other things it implies: an exhaust system, a gas tank, oil changes), I would have gotten a Volt. I doubt adding that as an aftermarket approach would be cost-effective or useful in a Leaf.

garygid said:
What do you have in mind, please?
They have in mind the same thing as the BMW REX.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-olhmMW8TRn8/U2p8i-EuRZI/AAAAAAAAE_o/5Rjhg5IKiTg/s1600/Range-Extender.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Would be difficult to integrate into the Leaf as an after market product.

1. no
2. 5
3. 1
4. 1 (Although misrepresenting their autonomy IS a problem)
5. 4
6. 1
7. 0
8. 4 (but not with fuel)
9. 5
10. 0 (don't want one)

Two things:

1. Do NOT put this in the passenger cabin. Put it on a trailer and get a hitch for the leaf.
2. You will need to have a motor/generator capable of 20-30kW at least. You will need DC output at about 370-390 v (depending on battery SOC)

Good luck.

1. Is the electric car your second car or you only have this one? (yes/no) - Yes
2. My electric car is mostly used in urban trips (0 to 5) - 5
3. I make trips above the expected autonomy of my car (0 to 5) - 0
4. I think that the reduced autonomy (compared to gasoline/diesel cars) is a problem in electric cars (0 to 5) - 2
5. I would like to have more autonomy instantly (without waiting electricity recharges over half an hour) (0 to 5) - 1
6. I feel identified with the term range anxiety (to be worried for not having enough battery to complete my route with an electric car) (0 to 5) - 5
7. I would purchase a kit which allow my car increase its autonomy by fueling some gasoline (0 to 5) - 0
8. I would renounce to some load space in the trunk for gaining some autonomy (0 to 5) - 0
9. I would like that the kit mentioned above would be removable, allowing this way using all the trunk space when necessary (0 to 5) - 5
10. The maximum amount of money I would pay for this kit would be: - Would not buy, I would buy a volt instead

1. Is the electric car your second car or you only have this one? YES
2. My electric car is mostly used in urban trips (3)
3. I make trips above the expected autonomy of my car (2)
4. I think that the reduced autonomy (compared to gasoline/diesel cars) is a problem in electric cars (4)
5. I would like to have more autonomy instantly (without waiting electricity recharges over half an hour) (4)
6. I feel identified with the term range anxiety (to be worried for not having enough battery to complete my route with an electric car) (0)
7. I would purchase a kit which allow my car increase its autonomy by fueling some gasoline (4) propane
8. I would renounce to some load space in the trunk for gaining some autonomy (0) prefer trailer
9. I would like that the kit mentioned above would be removable, allowing this way using all the trunk space when necessary (5) trailer
10. The maximum amount of money I would pay for this kit would be:[$5000] if it can be used as house backup generator and to also run on propane/NG

I'm getting around to building one for myself. Looking to increase my range to 180 miles or more. If you would like to chat about it pm me. I'll share my ideas with you.

If 84 miles range is not enough for you, save your money and buy a Tesla instead.

If the Tesla is beyond your budget, then buy a Prius. The range extender is a bad idea all around.

You are simply going to make a poor prototype of a production serial hybrid, the Volt. If you must do this build a range extender trailer or buy a recked Volt and put it back in working order and say you did it.

Back