Valdemar
Posts: 2598
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011
Location: Oak Park, CA

Annual battery check cost? (yes I know the 1st 2 are free)

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:41 pm

Has anyone on this forum already paid for the 3rd battery check out of pocket? How much was it if so?
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB), -1CB(53.92Ahr)@140k/29mo,
51.1AHr, SOH 80%, 150k miles

9kW Solar

User avatar
mwalsh
Posts: 9631
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:10 am
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213
Location: Garden Grove, CA

Re: Annual battery check cost? (yes I know the 1st 2 are fre

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:46 pm

Valdemar wrote:Has anyone on this forum already paid for the 3rd battery check out of pocket? How much was it if so?


Yep. It was $58. But then I used Nissan Rewards points to pay for it.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 81,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bridgestone Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10640
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: California, now Georgia
Contact: Website

Re: Annual battery check cost? (yes I know the 1st 2 are fre

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:51 pm

$57 for me...

mwalsh wrote:
Valdemar wrote:Has anyone on this forum already paid for the 3rd battery check out of pocket? How much was it if so?
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

Valdemar
Posts: 2598
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011
Location: Oak Park, CA

Re: Annual battery check cost? (yes I know the 1st 2 are fre

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:55 pm

Not too bad, probably they bill you for 1/2 hrs labor. Still, this probably feels like wasting money on something you don't need.
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB), -1CB(53.92Ahr)@140k/29mo,
51.1AHr, SOH 80%, 150k miles

9kW Solar

User avatar
mwalsh
Posts: 9631
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:10 am
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213
Location: Garden Grove, CA

Re: Annual battery check cost? (yes I know the 1st 2 are fre

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:56 pm

Valdemar wrote:Not too bad, probably they bill you for 1/2 hrs labor. Still, this probably feels like wasting money on something you don't need.


Worth it to keep that warranty up though.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 81,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bridgestone Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

Valdemar
Posts: 2598
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011
Location: Oak Park, CA

Re: Annual battery check cost? (yes I know the 1st 2 are fre

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:58 pm

mwalsh wrote:
Valdemar wrote:Not too bad, probably they bill you for 1/2 hrs labor. Still, this probably feels like wasting money on something you don't need.


Worth it to keep that warranty up though.


That's exactly my point, the warranty you won't get to benefit from in 99.9% of the cases.
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB), -1CB(53.92Ahr)@140k/29mo,
51.1AHr, SOH 80%, 150k miles

9kW Solar

kubel
Posts: 1609
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:38 am
Leaf Number: 19628
Location: Southeast Michigan

Re: Annual battery check cost? (yes I know the 1st 2 are fre

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:48 pm

mwalsh wrote:
Worth it to keep that warranty up though.


It's not really needed. Nissan can't legally void the warranty for not having it done unless they can prove that not having it done caused damage some how (which is impossible, since it's just a report- it does absolutely nothing to the battery).

If you never changed your oil on a gas car and your engine blew up, it would be pretty easy to demonstrate that lack of maintenance caused the problem. They could void your warranty for not having the oil changed- which, by the way, you can have done anywhere you want (or done by yourself)- it's illegal for them to require you to get it serviced at the dealer to maintain a warranty.

But with the battery check, it has nothing to do with maintenance- it's just a data gathering tool for Nissan engineers and a way for the dealer to get you back into the service center every year so they can make some money and sell you $50 wiper blades and $30 tire rotations.

Get it done while it's free. After that, don't bother. The only real value is if you're curious to see how Nissan rates your treatment of the battery.
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
20% degradation in 42k miles
Leased 5-17-2012, Returned 1-15-2016


2017 Chevy Volt LT
Siren Red Tintcoat
Leased 10-21-2016

derkraut
Posts: 1516
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:39 pm
Delivery Date: 14 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 004248
Location: San Diego vicinity

Re: Annual battery check cost? (yes I know the 1st 2 are fre

Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:21 pm

kubel wrote:
mwalsh wrote:
Worth it to keep that warranty up though.


It's not really needed. Nissan can't legally void the warranty for not having it done unless they can prove that not having it done caused damage some how (which is impossible, since it's just a report- it does absolutely nothing to the battery).

If you never changed your oil on a gas car and your engine blew up, it would be pretty easy to demonstrate that lack of maintenance caused the problem. They could void your warranty for not having the oil changed- which, by the way, you can have done anywhere you want (or done by yourself)- it's illegal for them to require you to get it serviced at the dealer to maintain a warranty.

But with the battery check, it has nothing to do with maintenance- it's just a data gathering tool for Nissan engineers and a way for the dealer to get you back into the service center every year so they can make some money and sell you $50 wiper blades and $30 tire rotations.

Get it done while it's free. After that, don't bother. The only real value is if you're curious to see how Nissan rates your treatment of the battery.

Right on Kubel....I agree 100%
Derkraut
Color: Cayenne SLE, ETEC trim
reserved: 5/15/2010
Leaf del. 6/14/2011
New Traction battery installed on 7/28/2017:

Valdemar
Posts: 2598
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011
Location: Oak Park, CA

Re: Annual battery check cost? (yes I know the 1st 2 are fre

Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:24 pm

^^^ OT but I think $30 for tire rotation is actually reasonable. There are shops that will do it for free, but they have a slightly different business model. As for the battery check, I couldn't agree more. I thought there was something that Nissan makes you sign at the time of purchase that they can take to court? Need to review my paperwork. The idea of paying for a bogus 5-star report taken from a prematurely degrading battery just rubs me the wrong way.
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB), -1CB(53.92Ahr)@140k/29mo,
51.1AHr, SOH 80%, 150k miles

9kW Solar

User avatar
JPVLeaf
Posts: 767
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:32 am
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Annual battery check cost? (yes I know the 1st 2 are fre

Thu May 08, 2014 8:57 am

FWIW, 3-yr battery check being done today.
$34 at Tustin Nissan (Tustin, CA).
-jp
.
R 4/20/10, RAQ 9/3/10,
O 9/10/10, D 6/6/11
72k mi @ 50 mo, #1 [new batt @ 39 mos.]
33k mi @ 34 mo, #2

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”