Lost a bar in the UK... after 3 years, 21 days, 52,778 miles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aminorjourney

I'm not sure if I'm the first one in the UK to get this (although I think so). I do know that Hiro Nakamura is one of the higher mileage LEAFs here. (There are a handful with higher mileage but not far off)

Driving to the mall this morning with the family (it's a holiday today) we noticed the first capacity bar has now vanished.

Blf6ClvIQAAZzTe.jpg

I've rapid charged a fair bit, and been keeping an eye on my pack with LEAF Spy Pro. Last time I checked, it listed health at 84%, but hadn't lost the first bar.

My wife's been driving it to and from work the past week on a new contract and I've been in her Volt. (Because the kids are home from school, I work from home, and only ever do 40 miles or so a day)

Her current commute is about 80 miles round trip, so she's been rapid charging in the morning after 35 miles back up to 90 percent, then driving home in the evening on whatever is left. Yesterday was obviously a bad day for our LEAF because she hit this on the M4 Motorway ....

BlafImBCUAEZUNq.jpg

Which resulted in this...

BlaPyujCAAAFsZc.jpg

When I drove out to help her in her car, I was really shocked at how badly the tire had blown out. It's a surprise she kept the car in a straight line as she was doing 70 at the time.

Anyway, I digress.

In a little over six weeks, I'm driving Hiro from Bristol, UK to Stuttgart, Germany, via Koblenz. Most of the way, I'll be QCing as I have to make the trip in about two days with my photographer acting as a co-driver. Then,We're taking part in the week-long WAVE trophy, where my LEAf will be one of the media cars covering the event. (All cars taking part have to be electric, and taking the Volt would mean taping off the fuel filler at the start of the event, relying on just 40 mile range... I don't want to do that!)

From there, it'll be another trek back, from Switzerland back to the UK. That'll be the best part of another 800 miles on top of the 800 miles out, and 800 miles on the trip.

So, what do people think of my stats? What do you think of my trip plans (there's a rough route planning Google Doc here, which people can help edit if they want.)

And am I the first?

If someone wants to add me to the Wiki that's fine too. I'll try and grab some LeafSpy shots later, but I have a TransportEvolved show to plan for now!

Nikki.

aminorjourney said:
I'm not sure if I'm the first one in the UK to get this ...

Nikki.

Nikki-

May I suggest you do some range/capacity test using the AVTA standards as discussed on these threads:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=13265" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=14271" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To get a rough idea of what your LEAF's actual loss of available battery capacity is?

Since the LBC is obviously not very accurate in determining the SOC at either "100%" or turtle/shutdown, it would be a good idea to repeat a few times to get, a reasonably accurate estimate of your present average available battery capacity, as compared to the new capacity values reported in the AVTA tests.

Looks to me like UK has some kind of magic battery there. Most of us, even in temperate climates in the US, have lost 2 bars at that mileage (see sig below).

ILETRIC said:
Looks to me like UK has some kind of magic battery there. Most of us, even in temperate climates in the US, have lost 2 bars at that mileage (see sig below).

Oh yes, I know! But you wouldn't believe the stir some EV folks are trying to create here in the UK over my tweet this morning. Y'know, I think I've done really rather well. I've hammered my LEAF a lot. It's never let me down. We've had one turtle in three years.

Frankly, I think my car is performing just as Nissan expected it to in the UK. We've had a fairly warm winter this year, not too hot a summer either...

I'll be interested in how you get on with your 800 mile trip.

My son and I drove to Land's End last Sunday - 394 miles. The 4th rapid charge put the battery temperature gauge up to 9 bars. I would have thought you might have similar problems.

Yesterday we did about 250 miles on our return and again, after 4 rapid charges, the first to 80% and the rest to rather less (60%, 70% and 75%) again we were up to 8 bars showing.

MIT have something to say on this. http://www.technologyreview.com/view/429282/are-air-cooled-batteries-hurting-nissan-leaf-range/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; refers.

ILETRIC said:

their climate and battery longevity pretty much matches The Puget Sound region. We do have our exceptions with Steve Marsh losing his first at 76,000 but most report losing theirs right at 50,000 give or take few grand

DaveinOlyWA said:
ILETRIC said:

their climate and battery longevity pretty much matches The Puget Sound region. We do have our exceptions with Steve Marsh losing his first at 76,000 but most report losing theirs right at 50,000 give or take few grand

Well, given I'm planning on moving a little further south next year with My LEAF (provided Nissan get back to me on getting it to the same spec as a US one) Hiro won't get a temperature shock!

Back