100 Mile Club, 200 km, 300 km, 200 Mile Club (24kWh LEAF)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I did mine, I had a hill I climbed every day. I live in Seattle. Lots of hills. But my commute is very short, all on 30 mph roads. I went even slower and drove like a grandma.

The street I am going to use for the 100 mile run has a 35 mph limit, with lots of lights, but long blocks. I am going to try to time myself so I can hit green most of the time and keep the start up from stop at the top of the meter of 8 m/kwh if at all possible. I have been practicing this. That early on a Sunday morning should be no problem. Plus it is a 4-lane divided street with a 5th center lane for turning most of the time so anyone can pass me to go faster.

I joined the 100 mile club today, actually 114.3 miles from 100% to turtle. Two round trips to work over the last two days and an extra 15 miles at the end today to get to turtle. I compiled a lot of stats that I will post to a different thread, but the bottom line is it was normal driving close to speed limit, good weather, flat terrain and now I know what my Leaf will do. I will try it again in a year or so and see what happens. If anyone would like the log file from Leaf Spy Pro let me know I will be happy to send it to you.

biggsy said:
I joined the 100 mile club today, actually 114.3 miles from 100% to turtle.

Congratulations, Mr. 75 (isn't it odd that we have no "Miss" members?).

The Club toilet scrubbing brush shall be passed on to our newest, most junior member at the next general meeting. Mr. 74 is looking forward to it, as he complains that he has "dignity issues" that preclude him from this most essential duty. I trust your service to the club will be less troublesome.

We are back-ordered on new Club jackets, but a shiny new "75" should be on a jacket shortly. Welcome to the Club.

Tony Williams
100 Mile Club Member Emeritus

TonyWilliams said:
biggsy said:
I joined the 100 mile club today, actually 114.3 miles from 100% to turtle.

The Club toilet scrubbing brush shall be passed on to our newest, most junior member at the next general meeting. Mr. 74 is looking forward to it, as he complains that he has "dignity issues" that preclude him from this most essential duty. I trust your service to the club will be less troublesome.

Tony Williams

Thanks Tony, however unless I can get you guys to move the next meeting to the east coast, I will be unable to accept the "Club Brush". Please accept my sincere gratitude of the brush offer, but hold it for the next member who is able to attend the meeting.

Regarding the lack of "Miss" or "Mrs" members, my wife thought I was crazy not to charge before making the second trip to work, didn't see why I wanted to bother driving the extra mile after my 99 mile two day commute and will never understand why I drove an extra 14 miles to get to turtle.

Randy

biggsy said:
Thanks Tony, however unless I can get you guys to move the next meeting to the east coast, I will be unable to accept the "Club Brush". Please accept my sincere gratitude of the brush offer, but hold it for the next member who is able to attend the meeting.

The Club location has never been revealed to the public, and we members must do our best to keep it secret. We wouldn't want the lesser, unwashed masses showing up at our pristine door.

Tony Williams

This is my official submission to join the 100 mile club.

First let me indicate that my LEAF is a UK import to our sunny isle of Barbados (http://www.barbados.org) in the Caribbean. I have done 160 km before on a full charge, but now here's the evidence. Gotta try for that 200 km club - it's very possible.

100mileclub.jpg

This was all done on one day starting from yesterday morning at 8:00 AM until I got back come around 5:00 AM this morning. It was a sunny day averaging 28 C (82 F) with a variable 28 km/h breeze. Saturday is usually the errand day and boy was it a long one with classes for the children, grocery shopping for the grandparents and topping off the night with a tennis match event just to name a few.

Since Barbados is a little rock about 23 km x 32 km at its widest point with a dense road network, the drive consisted of a mix of city and h'way driving. There are no mountains or steep hills in Barbados, the highest point is 353 metres (1151 ft.) above sea level. Our topography is one of gentle terrace rises and descents. According to the VID, the average speed was 35.2 km/h (21.8 mph). You really can't drive too far without being impacted by traffic. I think it is this constant stop and go and cycling power on/off that would make it really challenging to get to that 200 km clocker. Just to illustrate, the car was cycled on/off 14 times during the day. Although there was a post about this with the general consensus that it does not subtract from your range, I am not convinced. My experience is that every power on/off cycle subtracts at least 2 km of range. I suspect, however, that if I were to test the range with one drive from full to turtle the 200 km would be possible.

On the final journey home I got LBW at 143 km (89 miles), VLBW at 164km (102 miles) and turtle popped up at 183 km (114 miles).

LBWonwayyo100miles.jpg

100miles-yahoo.jpg

EnergyEconomyof01XXsomething.jpg

Don't get me started on the last pic!!! :x :x :x Why is the UK/European LEAF the only region to have this stupid arse kWh/km display?? It's beyond me! Even the JDM LEAF has the energy economy display in km/kWh. At the next service update I am going to ask the technicians to change it if they can.

Finally, I am not is possession of any in-car monitoring devices as yet, the figures on this run were as follows:

Energy Economy Display (estimated): 0.110 kWh/km = 9.0 km/kWh (5.6 miles/kWh)
Calculated energy economy: 8.00 km/kWh (4.97 miles/kWh)

biggsy said:
TonyWilliams said:

Tony Williams

I make a motion that we keep the club open beyond 100 members for the first female who makes the mark (assuming that none do in the next 24).

We will then have (at most) 101 members.

N1ghtrider said:
biggsy said:
TonyWilliams said:

Tony Williams

I make a motion that we keep the club open beyond 100 members for the first female who makes the mark (assuming that none do in the next 24).

We will then have (at most) 101 members.

Maybe we should recruit a female?

fudd246 said:
This is my official submission to join the 100 mile club.

First let me indicate that my LEAF is a UK import to our sunny isle of Barbados

Congratulations Mr. 76,

You have shown esprit de corps in the our great electric vehicle community and provided the necessary inspiration to your fellow drivers to go above and beyond the normal range of the Nissan LEAF.

Your meritorious service and exemplary performance of duty is in keeping with the highest traditions of electric vehicle community, and reflects great credit on yourself, the Nissan LEAF and the 100 Mile Club.

It is my sincere hope that this appointment will be cherished by yourself and be a source of great pride to your family.

Welcome aboard,

Tony Williams

I know this is not exactly the same, but was very pleasantly surprised by my new leaf. First let me say that I leased my leaf 3 weeks ago, (2013 S w/ quick charger). Just 6 days after I signed the leas I got caught in the massive traffic jam in Atlanta during the snow storm. I thankfully charged my car at work, so I left with a 100% charge. Not being completely familiar with the range I was a little worried about getting home in the cold (averaged 15* F). Now i only drove 22 miles, but my leaf kept me going for 13.5 hours in the cold, with the heater running on and off. I was blown away by how well it did in the snow, keeping me warm for 13.5 hours, and still having 26% battery left when i finally got home at 3:30 in the morning.

I can't wait to try for the 100 mile mark now.

ksnogas2112 said:
So is that called staying warm with your idle spare time?
I guess it would be something like that. Sitting in that seat for 13.5 hours was an experience i don't want to have again. Luckily the seat is comfortable.

I recall hearing LEAFfan achieving some pretty incredible distances on a degraded battery on his former Leaf (pre-'13). Does anyone have that post? If not, can he or someone post how many miles were driven on that single charge and how many capacity bars were lost at the time?

cwerdna said:
I recall hearing LEAFfan achieving some pretty incredible distances on a degraded battery on his former Leaf (pre-'13). Does anyone have that post? If not, can he or someone post how many miles were driven on that single charge and how many capacity bars were lost at the time?

Check the first post for all the links.

TonyWilliams said:
cwerdna said:

Check the first post for all the links.
Yeah, I looked but didn't see how many capacity bars he had on his '11 Leaf at the time.

I later did see a pic showing 151 miles w/all capacity bars. I thought he still achieved some pretty impressive numbers after 1 or more capacity bars were lost.

WE DID IT!!!

From Late last night/early morning my wife and I finally did the distance challenge. I will post detailed results later but wanted to let you know that we are now Number 77 in the 100 mile club and Number 10 in the 200Km club.

We left the house at 2:46am 3/30/14 at 100% (265gids from LeafDD). The first test was at freeway speed (cruise control set to 65mph). We made it to 68.9 miles with both dash and console showing 3.1 m/kwhr. Once the car slowed us down we only had a couple of miles until it shut down with us calling Roadside Assistance to be taken by flatbed to Mossy Nissan Kearny Mesa, San Diego DCQC.

We charged there for 45 minutes to about 90%, then moved over to the L2. By the time it reached 99% it was only 262 gids but did not want to wait another hour to get more electricity (it was already 6:30am). This next run had the cruise control set to 30mph on a 35 mph speed limit street with lots of stop lights. We drove a 10 mile circuit that was fairly flat, but after several circuits were only experiencing 5.4 m/kwhr. We then starting driving through a nearby industrial area with better roads and less lights. There we had a 6.1 mile circuit. We finally finished at 12:30pm, 6 hours later (with a 45min stop for a McBreakfast). The interesting thing was that the last few gids gave us much more distance. Earlier we were getting about .6 miles per gid, but from gid 6 to 5 we got 3.1 miles.

After driving a mile or so on gid 5 we started heading back to the dealer as we had an incline to climb going over a freeway and did not want to die on the road. As it turned out we got over the hump and started coasting downhill the quarter mile to the dealer. When we were passing the dealer the car shifted into (N) so we rolled through a right turn at the traffic light (light was green), down behind the dealer, then another right and up a 5 foot climbing driveway and left turn into the L2 charging station. Without the downhill momentum we would have never made it. As it was I barely used the brakes at the end. Total miles was 126.0 with 4 gids remaining. Not sure how many more miles we would have gotten if we had stayed plugged in another hour or so before starting, but we were tired and sleepy and did not want to wait. As it turned out we got just over 200 km. Another couple of miles would not have given us much. By about noon I was thinking that it would be not so nice if we missed the 200 km club by that extra amount, but in the end we made it.

On the first run we got 68.9 miles at 3.1 m/kwhr = 22.2 kwhr

On the second distance run we got 126.0 miles at 5.8 m/kwhr = 21.7 kwhr

From the above it appears that even though we only get 265 gids with full charge we still get full battery use. Could it be that the gids in our Leaf's (those with 260 gids rather than 284 gids) have more than 80 watts?

Mr. Williams:

This is my first post outside the "newbie" board, having taken my 2012 near-virgin Leaf off the truck with only 4052 miles back in November. It's a lease swap orphan, lovingly cared for by a frequently absent lessee from Santa Barbara who just spent too much time out of the country.

As a frozen Midwestern plains guy, I am EXTREMELY grateful not only for the Forum, but for the detailed and rigorous expertise from members like you. Every time I speak to a prospective Leaf Pilot, I give them the URLs for your battery guidelines. Freakin' golden, sir -- Nissan should make this required reading for sales teams at Leaf-certified dealerships.

Anyhow, to the point. We have not had three consecutive days with temperatures above freezing for more than 72 hours in months. When we've broken above 40F for several hours, I marvel at how much more range I can squeak out. Recently I managed to get to 4.1mi/kWh during a week with average highs of 34F, heat on 2/3rds of the time in suburban driving (45-50mph max). Tomorrow breaks 50degF. That's Barbados as far as I'm concerned. Sometime this week I expect to provide the bona fides to join the 100mi club. Stay tuned.

Thanks again!

Back