Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jaimev said:
Turbo3 said:
jaimev said:
Here is the fix for negative kw problem. (updated with larger fonts)

Thanks for the quick fix. That looks good.

One other thing...I've been having connection issues the last 2 days, perhaps 4 or 5 times - the most recent happening this morning around 8:00am. After parking and turning off the car for a while, I return and start the car, and Leaf Spy Pro has problems connecting with the ELM and displays this error message:

Pvbi71M.png

The problem clears up if I exit Leaf Spy Pro, and restart. It happens with ELM trace enabled, and also disabled. I use this dongle: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS modified to power off when the car is off.

Relevant trace files:
ERRdata.txt: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/574674/ERRdata.txt
TRC_1403260741.txt https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/574674/TRC_1403260741.txt
Based on the information in the logs I will change the recovery action for this type of error to restarting the serial link instead of just retrying the command. I will release version 0.29.22 with this fix later today for testing.

The problem is that you are turning the ELM power off which kills the link to the ELM. Since the ELM is off during charging you will not be able to take a background log of charging or to automatically continue a log after the Leaf is turned back on again.

The background service routine that runs when the phone is in sleep mode or the app is not in the foreground can not handle the ELM being powered off. So even with the fix you will need to have the app running in the foreground again to recover.

I do have an ELM modified like that so I should be able to reproduce it. If that is the case and I can verify the fix I may not release an update today as I am in the middle of another change I would like to complete before I release again for testing.

Good find though. Bug #2

TimeHorse said:
Turbo3 said:
I have been asked to see how many people would be interested in getting such a cable. I have one for testing and another that maps the AV-CAN to the CAR-CAN but that one was a mistake so limited numbers available.

So let me know if anyone is interested in either of these two special Y cables.

Here is what it looks like plus a screen shot of the iOS test program icon.

+1 (Though imageshack is blocked at work so I can't see the shots ATM.)

I will say though is I really would be curious to sample all 3 busses, including the Audio Bus, but that, I'll admit, is a very esoteric desire and not worth much investigation. But if you need beta testers for iOS let me know. And if you need any help with iOS development, I might be able to help. Are you using Objective C, C++ or C?
Using/learning Objective C. I bought the Developer Program membership and have Xcode install. Working through some tutorial and learning Storyboard. Need some code for the battery cell graphing routine. Have not look yet for any example code. Its a totally different world from the way the Current Leaf Spy is coded. Trying to see how View Controllers will map to my current screens. Any suggestions on overall structure are welcome.

Turbo3 said:
Based on the information in the logs I will change the recovery action for this type of error to restarting the serial link instead of just retrying the command....The background service routine that runs when the phone is in sleep mode or the app is not in the foreground can not handle the ELM being powered off. So even with the fix you will need to have the app running in the foreground again to recover.
Thanks for the fix. I always have the app running in the foreground on a dedicated Kyocera Event phone in the car. But I can see the usefulness in being able to log things while in sleep mode, via a powered ELM, and having the logs available via Dropbox/FolderSync. That's slick.

Also, you may have noticed on my screenshot that I had selected the new Aux/Htr/A/C energy usage display for viewing. If I switch on both the A/C and lights or have them both off, the bar graphs on the that display and the digital values don't change.

jaimev said:
Turbo3 said:
Based on the information in the logs I will change the recovery action for this type of error to restarting the serial link instead of just retrying the command....The background service routine that runs when the phone is in sleep mode or the app is not in the foreground can not handle the ELM being powered off. So even with the fix you will need to have the app running in the foreground again to recover.
Thanks for the fix. I always have the app running in the foreground on a dedicated Kyocera Event phone in the car. But I can see the usefulness in being able to log things while in sleep mode, via a powered ELM, and having the logs available via Dropbox/FolderSync. That's slick.

Also, you may have noticed on my screenshot that I had selected the new Aux/Htr/A/C energy usage display for viewing. If I switch on both the A/C and lights or have them both off, the bar graphs on the that display and the digital values don't change.
In testing the fix with my Kyocera I noticed that the Kyocera does not seem to support Bluetooth communications when the phone is in sleep mode. When I put the phone in sleep mode I get one more communication cycle with the ELM then nothing until I power up the Kyocera again. Putting the app in the background does work and it still communicates with the ELM but not in sleep mode. This is different then one of my other test phones which still works when the phone is in sleep mode. I will need to go through all my android devices and see which work and which don't when in sleep mode.

If the Aux/Htr/A/C bars don't change but the status indicates the app is still cycling through commands then the A/C is not really active and the lights are not drawing enough juice to change the reading. Try going to high beams, turning on rear defroster and changing the set temperature higher or lower.

Turbo3 said:
For my group of testers, Version 0.29.21 of Leaf Spy Pro has just been uploaded to the test area in PlayStore. It should take about 90 minutes before it shows up for download.
The screen shot you posted shows 10.4V 12V battery voltage. If that is a calibrated value, you need to charge the 12V battery. Really low!!

Turbo3 said:
...Try going to high beams, turning on rear defroster and changing the set temperature higher or lower.
Strange....this morning with headlights on (but not on high) and heater set at 90 and fan at maximum, I saw no movement of the Aux/Htr/AC bars or values over a 3 minute period; app was cycling normally. At the same time, the Energy Info display on the center console showed the Climate Control subsystem using close to 3Kw.

jaimev said:
Turbo3 said:
...Try going to high beams, turning on rear defroster and changing the set temperature higher or lower.
Strange....this morning with headlights on (but not on high) and heater set at 90 and fan at maximum, I saw no movement of the Aux/Htr/AC bars or values over a 3 minute period; app was cycling normally. At the same time, the Energy Info display on the center console showed the Climate Control subsystem using close to 3Kw.
Can you send me an ELM trace?

What model year?

Turbo3 said:
jaimev said:
Turbo3 said:
Can you send me an ELM trace?

What model year?

I just tried it now...1 minute with heater on high plus high beams on. Climate control gauge showing between 3 and 4.5 Kw of use. No change in Aux/Htr/AC bars
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/574674/TRC_1403250516.txt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/574674/ERRdata.txt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2011 model year.

jaimev said:
jaimev said:
Turbo3 said:

I just tried it now...1 minute with heater on high plus high beams on. Climate control gauge showing between 3 and 4.5 Kw of use. No change in Aux/Htr/AC bars
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/574674/TRC_1403250516.txt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/574674/ERRdata.txt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2011 model year.
You need to have Logging enabled. Bug #3

The place where I put the new read commands is skipped if logging is not enabled and all my tests had logging enabled so I did not catch the bug.

New version later today to fix this and the other problem.

After thinking about it I now realize what happened. Reading the energy usage data was originally put in to support the up coming Hackathon and was only designed to be saved to the Log file that would be used by the Hackathon.

Later while trying to determine the units of each reading I decided it would be easier if I could see the reading real time so I modified the battery graphic to show them forgetting that they were only read while logging.

Turbo3 said:
The place where I put the new read commands is skipped if logging is not enabled and all my tests had logging enabled so I did not catch the bug.
I'm glad that was a simple bug to fix. :)

Regarding the experimental Motor Power and Accelerator screen...
Turbo3 said:
... To get real motor power the app needs motor voltage which means a different filter is used and that new filter does not allow seeing the brake/regen frames so no red/green bars while monitoring motor power. iOS version will not have this problem. (In the previous test version I was just displaying motor Amps which can be gotten along with Brake/regen frames.)
I mentioned previously that this had become my screen of choice, 95% of the time, when driving the Leaf. It was nice seeing the red/green bars (in v0.29.20) while braking - it was a good aid in learning how quickly one could decelerate while still regenerating power, and not have the mechanical brake kick in. While cruising, I also found the motor amp plot interesting to look at, as it slowly rolled out over time.

With 0.29.21, although the real power motor power is displayed, I find I really miss the red/green bars. I know I can switch to the alternate Braking screen and get them there. But when cruising. the red/green braking historical plots are (imho) not really interesting to look at because they're static and they're concatenations of disjointed braking episodes which don't have much meaning to me as I drive down the road.

In my ideal world, I'd love to have the old Motor Amp and Accelerator screen restored as a 3rd choice of available experimental screen.

Finally, I noticed that the Settings->Braking->Change Window Size value still only effects the Braking screen, and not the Motor Power And Accelerator screen. Was this by choice? Was there a reason that the Motor Power screen history is not similarly adjustable, or perhaps tied to the same setting?

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I turned ELM trace on when I view the Motor Power and Accelerator screen back in 0.29.20. I found that it significantly reduced the number of times the app hanged for me when viewing those experimental screens.

I apologize if this has been answered, but can anyone explain the discrepancy between "kWh remaining" and "Wh used" in Leaf Spy?

For instance, today I recorded some data about my commute and noticed this:

Code:
kWh remaining    Wh used
19.7             0
13.3             5927

That's 6400-ish Wh on the left and 5927 on the right. I've also noticed a similar discrepancy in other Leaf Spy datasets.

I guess what I really want to know is: which number is more accurate in terms of energy usage?

--Carter

crabasa said:
I apologize if this has been answered, but can anyone explain the discrepancy between "kWh remaining" and "Wh used" in Leaf Spy?

For instance, today I recorded some data about my commute and noticed this:

Code:
kWh remaining    Wh used
19.7             0
13.3             5927

That's 6400-ish Wh on the left and 5927 on the right. I've also noticed a similar discrepancy in other Leaf Spy datasets.

I guess what I really want to know is: which number is more accurate in terms of energy usage?

--Carter
The numbers come from two different places.

The kWh remaining is based on Gids read from the Leaf times Wh/Gid set on the Settings/Battery panel. Default is 77.5 Wh/Gid. This is the best estimate of remaining energy. However you can adjust the Wh/Gid number up or down if you feel the number is not correct for you situation.

The Wh used is calculated based on SOC from Leaf and Ahr from Leaf. This gives a rough estimate of energy used. This is an estimate only. If the battery warms up and the Leaf Battery Controller thinks the battery has more available energy it would look like regen is happening. If the the battery gets cooler the Battery Controller might lower the available energy which would look like the motor used more kw. So the kw used number can change without the Leaf moving at all. It can go up or down when you think it should do the opposite (at least for short periods).

Just uploaded 0.29.22 to Google Playstore for the Tester Group. Give it 90 minutes to show up for download.

Should fix all current problems.

New feature is Change Log and Application Help. Go the the About screen to access them. The Change Log lists everything that is new in 0.29.22 but only a few of the previous changes in 0.29.21. In time I will update the older change list.

The Help is just starting and I am still working on some of the formatting controls (trying to add line drawing). So there is only a tiny amount of information there right now. Much more to come over time. I would like to have answers to all the questions people have asked included in the Help file but that will take time to do.

Only use the back key to exit the Help and Change Log screens (i.e. don't press the Setting button to exit). It will take a second for these screens to go away and be replaced with the Leaf Spy screen so just wait for it to change back.

jaimev said:
Turbo3 said:
I'm glad that was a simple bug to fix. :)

Regarding the experimental Motor Power and Accelerator screen...
Turbo3 said:
... To get real motor power the app needs motor voltage which means a different filter is used and that new filter does not allow seeing the brake/regen frames so no red/green bars while monitoring motor power. iOS version will not have this problem. (In the previous test version I was just displaying motor Amps which can be gotten along with Brake/regen frames.)
I mentioned previously that this had become my screen of choice, 95% of the time, when driving the Leaf. It was nice seeing the red/green bars (in v0.29.20) while braking - it was a good aid in learning how quickly one could decelerate while still regenerating power, and not have the mechanical brake kick in. While cruising, I also found the motor amp plot interesting to look at, as it slowly rolled out over time.

With 0.29.21, although the real power motor power is displayed, I find I really miss the red/green bars. I know I can switch to the alternate Braking screen and get them there. But when cruising. the red/green braking historical plots are (imho) not really interesting to look at because they're static and they're concatenations of disjointed braking episodes which don't have much meaning to me as I drive down the road.

In my ideal world, I'd love to have the old Motor Amp and Accelerator screen restored as a 3rd choice of available experimental screen.

Finally, I noticed that the Settings->Braking->Change Window Size value still only effects the Braking screen, and not the Motor Power And Accelerator screen. Was this by choice? Was there a reason that the Motor Power screen history is not similarly adjustable, or perhaps tied to the same setting?

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I turned ELM trace on when I view the Motor Power and Accelerator screen back in 0.29.20. I found that it significantly reduced the number of times the app hanged for me when viewing those experimental screens.
I too am not happy about the Brake screen graph. I might just replace it with the Motor Amps with the brake/regen bar at the top and the second screen would be the Motor kW with Accelerator Blue bar on top.

For those with 2013 or later Leafs the current app does not work with the new message format Nissan switched to. I will be updating the app to handle the new message format tomorrow (Friday) with a release later in the day.

This applies to the new Energy Use display and perhaps a few other places. I will know more when I review the complete trace Kevin sent me.

Turbo3 said:
Just uploaded 0.29.22 to Google Playstore for the Tester Group.

Digging the new motor power/regen bars in the Energy use bar graph. Nice! And I appreciate the Change History and Application Help screens.

jaimev said:
Turbo3 said:
Just uploaded 0.29.22 to Google Playstore for the Tester Group.

Digging the new motor power/regen bars in the Energy use bar graph. Nice! And I appreciate the Change History and Application Help screens.
Thanks. I am waiting for an ELM trace of a charge from a 2013/2014 Leaf to see if I can get the EVSE pilot status working on 2013 on up Leafs.

0.29.23 has the fix to display Energy Use for 2013 on up Leafs and the Help file is updated with a "Recent Changes" section that covers the new Energy Usage with a nice graphic on where to tap for newbies. Just waiting for the 2013/14 charge trace before releasing it.

The change history is great for me so I can see what I have changed.

Back