How to set that *(% clock

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
planet4ever said:
I have been mildly curious as to what the external standard is. If it really is GPS, they should be good indefinitely, right?...
If it is GPS, I suppose it could be off if the US military screws it up (more info at http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/gps.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, haven't had time to read it). But, then I'd imagine if it were really screwed up, much of or the entire GPS system might not work properly.

If you are referring to "selective availability", that was turned off in May of 2000. I suppose they could do something unusual for national security purposes, but that would be pretty extraordinary. Given the usefulness of the system and widespread adoption, they can't really mess with it anymore. I don't even hear aircraft pilots saying never to rely on the thing, something they used to do in the past.

In May 2000, at the direction of President Bill Clinton, the U.S government discontinued its use of Selective Availability in order to make GPS more responsive to civil and commercial users worldwide.

The United States has no intent to ever use Selective Availability again.

In September 2007, the U.S. government announced its decision to procure the future generation of GPS satellites, known as GPS III, without the SA feature. Doing this will make the policy decision of 2000 permanent and eliminate a source of uncertainty in GPS performance that had been of concern to civil GPS users worldwide.

^^^
No, I'm not talking about selective availability, which I am familiar with as I got my 1st GPS unit (http://gpsinformation.net/main/mag-330.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) probably not long after SA was turned off. I knew about the civilian vs. military frequencies and the accuracy differences between each, when SA was on.

I'm talking about them messing up the clocks on the satellites themselves, which would render the constellation overhead useless.

Radio waves travel awful fast. Gps uses the speed of light to calculate the receiver's position. The time the signal is sent must be accurate beyond belief for the system to even determine what continent you are on. Even if they put the dither back in, the time accuracy will be plenty good for our dashboard clocks.

johnrhansen said:
Radio waves travel awful fast. Gps uses the speed of light to calculate the receiver's position. The time the signal is sent must be accurate beyond belief for the system to even determine what continent you are on. Even if they put the dither back in, the time accuracy will be plenty good for our dashboard clocks.
I'm certain the navigation time is based on GPS.
And GPS time is the most accurate time source readily available.
To make GPS work right to start with, it has to adjust for the fact that time progresses slower at the GPS satellite which is moving faster than the surface of the earth. Implementation of GPS was a real world proof of Einstein's theory of relativity.

or just not set it. Since daylight savings time is now most of the year anyway, just put a sticky note next it it in the winter saying it is off an hour.... or move to Arizona.

As for the GPS.. on a recent trip to China, I noticed the GPS on my tablet did not work. It was always off by hundreds of feet. Isn't that selective availability?

KJD said:
How many people curse this clock setting every spring and every fall ?
Yes, I am plenty tired of the daylight savings time switch. Just pick one or the other and stick with it. If you don't want children going to school in the dark adjust school start times. And the same could be done with work hours if it is a concern. Daylight savings time was kind of fun when I was a kid, after moving from a state where it isn't used (Hawai'i, no surprise). But I got tired of it decades ago.

As for the LEAF clocks. It is simple to make the change once one knows how to do it. So I don't get all the fuss. Figure it out once, or read the detailed explanations here at MNL, and then it is no big deal ever after.

-Curmudgeon

dgpcolorado said:
Yes, I am plenty tired of the daylight savings time switch. Just pick one or the other and stick with it.
We could all live in Arizona to avoid DST ... only our way too quickly diminishing battery capacity would degrade even quicker. :?

DST is kind of annoying, kind of like people who set their clocks 5 minutes fast to avoid being late and then tell you the clock is 10 minutes fast so they don't need to hurry

dgpcolorado said:
If you don't want children going to school in the dark adjust school start times. And the same could be done with work hours if it is a concern
No no no! We all have to go to work and school at the same time so that we can clog up the freeways.

dgpcolorado said:
Yes, I am plenty tired of the daylight savings time switch. Just pick one or the other and stick with it. If you don't want children going to school in the dark adjust school start times. And the same could be done with work hours if it is a concern. ...
Yeah, that won't be near as disruptive as DST. :roll: :roll: :roll:

davewill said:
Yeah, that won't be near as disruptive as DST. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Ok, I'll bite:

1) Such changes wouldn't affect everyone, as is the case with DST (in the 48 states that have it). Why make everyone adjust clocks so that schools can start at 8 AM (or whatever time)? Does that make sense? Really?

2) Why not start schools at a time that allows daylight in the morning in December, and just keep it there? The objection from some parents, of course, is how do I get my kids off to school in time and still get to work? Well, how about changing your work hours to better mesh with the new school schedule. "No, we can't do that!" Why not? "Because we've always started at ____ AM, that's why!"

Sorry I just don't buy the usual arguments. Everyone should have to change to DST to accommodate tradition? Why?

3) In some places, e.g. Anchorage, Alaska, children go to school in the dark in the Fall and Winter and somehow manage to do so safely. In the snow. Yes, it is possible.

So, take your pick: adjust school/work times or just deal with a few months of morning darkness.

I fully realize that we are so wedded to "the way things are done" that getting rid of DST is very unlikely. But there are decent arguments against the practice and many of the reasons for it range from shaky to outright fallacious.

Just sayin' ...

dgpcolorado said:
... Well, how about changing your work hours to better mesh with the new school schedule. "No, we can't do that!" Why not? "Because we've always started at ____ AM, that's why!" ...
More likely because the boss says, "No"...so the other option is to be unemployed...but at least you wouldn't have had to change your clock!

Anyway, it just ain't no big thing. We've been doing it for a long time, and it's here to stay.

davewill said:
...Anyway, it just ain't no big thing. We've been doing it for a long time, and it's here to stay.
True, that.

Suppose that DST didn't exist. I would think that work/school schedules would have evolved into some sort of equilibrium that accommodates parents of school age children. And that such a thing could happen if DST was eliminated. Not that getting rid of DST will happen, of course.

Had my 2015 SL in for some minor collision repairs. Now I find the the toggle for 12/12 or 24 hour setting does not work. I go into Settings, Clock, and click on the on/off button. The light goes on and off, but it remains on the 24 hour setting, which I do not like. Hardly worth setting up a service appointment, guess I will just wait until the next 6 month service. I called the Leaf hotline, they have never heard of this problem.

Back