Help hooking up an evseupgrade L6-30 Receptacle and Breaker

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lasareath said:
I've never used those rigid conduit ground clips shown on the last picture;
The grounding lugs in that last picture are not for grounding the box, but for grounding the conduit exiting the box. The grounding lug for the box is not pictured there.

Ahhh I get it. Thanks.

drees said:
Lasareath said:
I've never used those rigid conduit ground clips shown on the last picture;
The grounding lugs in that last picture are not for grounding the box, but for grounding the conduit exiting the box. The grounding lug for the box is not pictured there.

Went to my Parents house yesterday and checked out their electrical panel, it's a Square D QO just like what I have at home.

There is room to add a 2 pole 30A breaker. there are two in there right now for the air conditioner and something else.

The Leviton Receptacle should be here tomorrow, I just need to start, I think I have some free time Friday.

(I know somebody is going to post that the total amps on the breakers is more than 200A but I'm not interested. Don't waste your time. If I add up mine it's the same way. In 5 years I've never blown my main breaker. So I never use more than 100A at the same time. The only breaker I ever blow is one in the kitchen that runs my coffee machine and microwave. That's it. One day I'll run a new circuit for just the microwave oven.)

SQDQO1.jpg

SQDQO2.jpg

I need a 2 Pole 30A breaker like this one: should be around $15
SQDQO3.jpg

Lasareath said:
... (I know somebody is going to post that the total amps on the breakers is more than 200A but I'm not interested. Don't waste your time. If I add up mine it's the same way. In 5 years I've never blown my main breaker. So I never use more than 100A at the same time. ...
My understanding is that it's OK if the individual breakers add up to more than the service. Load calculations are more complex than that, and take into account whether loads are likely to be used at the same time, and how much the actual equipment will draw, not just the circuit breaker size.

Yeah, my wife is an Electrical designer at a MEP firm in NYC, I was just about to ask her that question on how she sizes her circuits and panels.

davewill said:
Lasareath said:
... (I know somebody is going to post that the total amps on the breakers is more than 200A but I'm not interested. Don't waste your time. If I add up mine it's the same way. In 5 years I've never blown my main breaker. So I never use more than 100A at the same time. ...
My understanding is that it's OK if the individual breakers add up to more than the service. Load calculations are more complex than that, and take into account whether loads are likely to be used at the same time, and how much the actual equipment will draw, not just the circuit breaker size.

Got all the supplies I need. Just waiting for some nice weather. It's been too cold and my Parents are not even in the state anymore, they are at their vacation home for 4 months in Florida, So I'm not really going to their house so why install the circuit if I'm not going to be using it?

They'll be home by April and weather will be so much nicer to work in an open garage with no electricity on.

Just one question; the 10 Gauge wire is really thick, can I successfully screw down the ground wire with a green ground screw as pictured?

Or should use that all copper terminal lug to attach the ground wire to the Metal gang box?

I have those grounding clips too but the slot where the ground wire is supposed to pass through looks too thin.

evse_circuit_parts_sm.jpg

Large version: http://www.myfirstleaf.com/evse_circuit_parts.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, The receptacle has a Ground screw.

The Metal box needs to be grounded as well.

So the ground wire coming from the Electric Panel needs to be secured to the Metal box and that same ground wire needs to be secured to the L6-30 Receptacle.

Please see the following video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6buad3pMg5Y[/youtube]

So my original question asks is the grounding screw large enough to successfully hold down a 10 Gauge wire, If not should I use another mechanism to secure the ground wire to metal box?

DaveinOlyWA said:
Lasareath said:
My Plug?, or the Receptacle?

DaveinOlyWA said:
didnt your plug come with a ground connector?

sorry Receptacle. being lazy but figured you would know what i meant

I used 10 gauge wire for my L6-20 outlet (yes, that's overkill for a 20A circuit). I had no trouble looping the ground wire around the box grounding screw and clamping it securely. Perhaps grounding screws vary by box manufacturer, but I certainly had no trouble with 10 G wire on mine. You will need long-nose pliers, or something similar, to make the loop in the stiff wire but it should work fine.

Thank you both for that info, I have many needle nose pliers.

When I was shopping for the ground screws I bought the ones with largest head.

DaveinOlyWA said:
ok, i got ya. ya, the screw will work. i grounded my box with the conduit which is the standard process here.

dgpcolorado said:
I used 10 gauge wire for my L6-20 outlet (yes, that's overkill for a 20A circuit). I had no trouble looping the ground wire around the box grounding screw and clamping it securely. Perhaps grounding screws vary by box manufacturer, but I certainly had no trouble with 10 G wire on mine. You will need long-nose pliers, or something similar, to make the loop in the stiff wire but it should work fine.

Lasareath said:
Just one question; the 10 Gauge wire is really thick, can I successfully screw down the ground wire with a green ground screw as pictured?

Or should use that all copper terminal lug to attach the ground wire to the Metal gang box?

I have those grounding clips too but the slot where the ground wire is supposed to pass through looks too thin.
You can probably wrap the ground wire around a ground screw, you you're right, might be tough with the 10GA ground wire.

So it could be easier to use terminal lug to attach the ground wire to the box. Or use a ground bar like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-by-Schneider-Electric-3-Terminal-Ground-Bar-Kit-PK3GTA1CP/202353311" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't mess with those grounding clips. Too easy for them to come off.

I am certainly not a fan of using the conduit as a ground if running conduit and pulling individual wires, too easy for conduit to come loose and then you lose your ground. I would always pull a separate ground wire.

Thanks. I guess I need to get one that comes with this extra screw so I can attach it to the Metal Gang Box.

Screen Shot 2014-01-19 at 3.29.40 PM.png

drees said:
Lasareath said:

You can probably wrap the ground wire around a ground screw, you you're right, might be tough with the 10GA ground wire.

So it could be easier to use terminal lug to attach the ground wire to the box. Or use a ground bar like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-by-Schneider-Electric-3-Terminal-Ground-Bar-Kit-PK3GTA1CP/202353311" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't mess with those grounding clips. Too easy for them to come off.

I am certainly not a fan of using the conduit as a ground if running conduit and pulling individual wires, too easy for conduit to come loose and then you lose your ground. I would always pull a separate ground wire.

Lasareath said:
Thanks. I guess I need to get one that comes with this extra screw so I can attach it to the Metal Gang Box.
Yep. Though as others have said, it's probably overkill and you should be able to get the 10GA wire under a ground screw OK. But if you're not happy with the way that turns out, using a ground lug.

I don't mind going overkill, I like the concept of the Terminal Ground Bar.

I may go with one like this because it has two screws that will hold it to the gang box.

Screen Shot 2014-01-19 at 4.05.54 PM.png

drees said:
Lasareath said:
Yep. Though as others have said, it's probably overkill and you should be able to get the 10GA wire under a ground screw OK. But if you're not happy with the way that turns out, using a ground lug.

Finally finished this job!!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.660747094002338&type=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes the 10 Gauge wire was not a hassle at all to get around the ground screw.

Thanks!

dgpcolorado said:

Used this L6-30R again yesterday and worked like a charm. So nice to use a Level 2 #EVSE at my Parents house when I visit them!

Back