Fuse for parking lights

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eCars33

I tried to replace the front parking lamps (near the high-beam bulbs) with LED bulbs. I think I blew a fuse, but I can't figure out where the correct fuse is. The headlamps still work, the driver's side tail light works, but all of the other parking lights are out.

Does anyone know which fuse I should check?

Nissan tells me the fuse is in the IPDM under the hood. I figured out how to get the IPDM open, but I can't see the fuses because the IPDM is upside down. It's difficult/impossible to turn it over because of all the wires.

Is there a secret way to turn the thing over so I can see the fuses?

You need someone to send/fax you the layout page from the service manual. If no one is (easily) able to do that, PM me with a FAX# and I'll dig it up. I recently replaced the horn fuse, so I know the area you're talking about.

I called the dealership, and they told me that the fuse was, indeed, in the IPDM. It wasn't easy, but I wrestled with all the wires to turn it on its side. From there, with the aid of a flashlight and a little flexibility, I was able to find and replace the fuse.

I still don't know why the LED parking bulbs would blow the fuse. They were CANbus LED's, so they should have worked.

I'll return them and stick with the stock bulbs.

eCars33 said:
I tried to replace the front parking lamps (near the high-beam bulbs) with LED bulbs. I think I blew a fuse, but I can't figure out where the correct fuse is. The headlamps still work, the driver's side tail light works, but all of the other parking lights are out.

Does anyone know which fuse I should check?
I had this exact same problem. However, one type of LED bulb worked and another type didn't work and blew the fuse. I was trying to replace a lower powered LED bulb for my DRL to a higher powered one.

Here's some helpful info that eCars33 didn't mention: The fuse is a "Red" #"10" fuse in "F7". This is within the third fuse box under the hood, on the right side of 12V battery. It says W1 on this box. The fuses are upside down within this box and it is very difficult to see anything. &^$%@# deliberate design to force us to go to Nissan stealership. Just as eCars33, I too had to wrestle with the wires to be able to lift this upside down fuse box and with a lot of difficulty I located the blown fuse. Now all you have to do is locate F7's Red 10 fuse instead of removing each fuse one by one to see which one is blown as I did the hard way.

The type that worked was this one:
290980169303_1.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290980169303?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
This type of LEDs fit and work for Daytime-Running lights (AKA: DRL & Parking Lights), Side-Marker lights (2011 & 2012 models only. 2013 has no Side-Marker lights), Map lights, and License-Plate lights.

The type that DID NOT work and blew the fuse:
141012613359_1.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141012613359?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
This probably blew the fuse because they are labeled as "Inverted" type.

This type worked for other forum users. They are very bright and a bit expensive:
timthumb.php

http://www.superbrightleds.com/more...194-led-bulb-15-smd-led-wedge-base-tower/910/
This type of LEDs fit and work for Daytime-Running lights (AKA: DRL & Parking Lights), Side-Marker lights (2011 & 2012 models only. 2013 has no Side-Marker lights), Map lights, and License-Plate lights.

This thread is a great reference for blown fuses while changing light bulbs. I got a pack of 10 ebay W5W 5-SMD LED lights and proceeded to change all W5W incandescent bulbs. I got thru all without problem, until the last license plate light, when I blew a fuse. Cheapo Chinese made bulb had a short in it.

Anyway, both license plate lights went out, as well as the right rear LED parking lights. The fuse box was a pain in the neck to get to and the labeling is pretty confusing. But after some trial and error, I figured out which is which.

NOTE: After the light fuse was replaced, I noticed a warning light on the dash appeared. It appears to be associated to the braking system. Hmmmmm. Opened that fuse box and looked thru if there is a brake related fuse. Sure enough, there is one fuse for ABS. I took out that fuse and put it back in to reset the ABS system. Warning light was then gone. :)

I blew a fuse too but I think it was because I had the lights on when I was putting the inverted type bulb in the front parking light lens and I touched the silvered part of the lens with a point on the PCB on the 'bulb'.

Duh.

What I have is the multi-element (20 LED?) 'inverted' type in the middle pic above in the front parking lights, and the 5 element type in the top pic for the license plate lights.

These are all on the same fuse and I'd been running the opposite for a while, i.e., the 'inverted' over the license plate, and the 5 element in the front parking lens. The multi-element 20 element is brighter IMHO so it should be used in the front. So I swapped locations.

It *is* a pain to replace that fuse in the 'upside down' fuse box. Really, Nissan? Luckily I was at the dealer and doing the lights during a charge so I got the Leaf tech to help. :)

To sum: I kind of doubt it's a problem with any of these lights blowing the fuse unless it's defective. IIRC There are 2x10 amp fuses for 4x5W bulbs which is under .5 amps per bulb (VoltsxAmps=watts so 12x.5=6 watts) for the 5 watt incandescent. No way the LED is drawing 6 times what the incandescent draws unless it's defective. (I just did P90X2 so forgive me if my math is bad. Suffice to say, you will only blow a 10A fuse if something shorts out. As expected.)

To avoid a short my advice it: Place the bulb in the socket, lay it on the plastic section of the hood shroud, see if it lights. If so, power off and screw it back in the lens. If not, polarity is probably reversed (LEDs you know) so turn it 180 degrees and put it back in the holder and turn it back on. Replace if good. Bending the wires on the bulb outwards a little makes it fit a little tighter in the socket.

* Don't be removing and replacing and moving things around when the power is on. * Take a little time and save yourself the trouble.

Well, that was exhaustive, wasn't it? I'm spent.

Pics if I get motivated. :)

Back