UBUYGAS
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 404190

Bought an HD Dash Cam for my LEAF - Check it out here...

Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:58 pm

Hi All,

I bought a Dash Cam that was recommended by TECHMOAN, Not sure if you ever seen his Video reviews but they are very informative.

Attention - NEW DASHCAM INSTALLED ON 05-15-2015 - DUAL CAMERA SYSTEM

CLICK HERE: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=15151&start=90#p423465

Update 07-09-15:

I Added another DVR with two more Cameras pointing side ways, So now I have a 360 degree view around the LEAF and the ability to retrieve the video footage as well.

See install pics here: http://salsleaf.com/dash_cams_rear_doors/index.htm

Honestly I really don't know if I need a Dash Cam. I just bought it because I like gadgets. The thing I didn't want to do was buy a crappy one so I've been watching this Guy's reviews for a year until he found a model that he said is the one he's going to keep in his car.

This is the Unit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... 1062684569" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mine comes with a Built in GPS and I also bought a 32GB micro SD card as well.

I bought mine from an eBay seller in China and it took 3 weeks to show up. It looks like now that there are sellers in CA and that the camera has gone down in price :(

I just got it today, I charged it and I'm going to watch the video again (because he goes through all the settings) and then I'm going to mount it tomorrow.

I will post back with my findings and pics of how it looks installed.

Check out the Video review Here:

Do you already have a Dash Cam in your LEAF?, I'd like to hear why you bought one and if you use it all the time?

Thanks,

Sal
Last edited by UBUYGAS on Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:21 am, edited 7 times in total.
Do you know the EV RULES?

Learn them today by clicking here: http://EV-RULES.com

UBUYGAS
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 404190

Re: Bought an HD Dash Cam for my LEAF - Check it out here...

Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:43 am

Just hooked up the Dash Cam in front of the rear-view mirror. I ran the power line under the ceiling liner and down the windshield all hidden and out of sight.

The Cam has a Motion mode that will record as soon as it detects motion for 1 minute. the bad thing is that the internal battery only last 10 mins (which the reviewer states) I'll need to test it out.

But I am planning on running a direct connection from the 12V battery to keep it on all the time. I also would like one in the back. Going to test this one first up front and if it works out well I'll get another one.

time to go for a drive!
Do you know the EV RULES?

Learn them today by clicking here: http://EV-RULES.com

EVDRIVER

Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:19 am

Can you set a loop so once the card is full it starts recording over automatically, erasing the older footage?

braebyrn
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 08 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 024521

Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:24 am

The car cam has saved our family from multiple tickets, showed accident scenes, near accident scenes, etc. Definitely worth the money. We have had a couple for at least 5 years. The audio recording part is great when the officer tells your kid that he ran a red light and of coarse the gps and video when they were at that stop light for 6 seconds. The same video and gps are great to show the judge just how some officers treat young high school drivers! They are also a great tool to use for teenage drivers because you can review their driving habits.

I like the small size of the one in the video. Mine was in the $400. range and is bulky and doesn't have all the cool features. Looks like we are going to be getting a upgrade soon.

adric22
Delivery Date: 05 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 000768

Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:28 am

Would it be possible to get power from the rear-view mirror? My Leaf has buttons on the mirror for opening garage doors, etc.
2013 Blue Nissan Leaf SV
2012 Summit White Chevy Volt

MikeD
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 592

Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:08 am

Lasareath: It would be of interest to some people (and perhaps yourself) to explore the possibility of using microSDXC memory cards that had been formatted for FAT32 (replacing the original exFAT), such as the Sandisk 64GB Ultra microSDXC. If this works OK, I would expect that as larger capacity microSDXC cards become available that they may be usable as well by this device when formatted appropriately using FAT32.

GlennD
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 20 Jul 2013
Leaf Number: 410357

Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:39 am

2012 Cayenne Red SL traded for:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist
Loved the VW but it sat too low for my old body
Back to a Cirrus White 2017 B250E

GlennD
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 20 Jul 2013
Leaf Number: 410357

Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:41 am

adric22 wrote:Would it be possible to get power from the rear-view mirror? My Leaf has buttons on the mirror for opening garage doors, etc.

It would be very possible. When Amazon delivers mine I will post.
2012 Cayenne Red SL traded for:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist
Loved the VW but it sat too low for my old body
Back to a Cirrus White 2017 B250E

kubel
Leaf Number: 19628

Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:59 am

The BlackVue DR-400G-HD has worked well for me the past few years. It's a few generations old now. Their latest version has a front and rear camera that saves to one card and supports WiFi for reviewing files on your phone. http://www.amazon.com/BlackVue-Channel- ... B00FK7QFM0

In Russia, dashcams are commonly used for protection against insurance scams. Here in the US, they are good for protecting innocent people from police that lack integrity, and for capturing general stupidity (either my own, or other people).

braebyrn wrote:They are also a great tool to use for teenage drivers because you can review their driving habits.

Great idea. I wish more parents thought of this. My dashcam is getting sort of old, but it still has GPS and will log trips (with events) using Googe Maps API on the DVR application. It also captures the date, time, and speed. If parents were smart, they would invest this small amount of money into their car. I honestly think it would save lives.
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
20% degradation in 42k miles
Leased 5-17-2012, Returned 1-15-2016

2017 Chevy Volt LT
Siren Red Tintcoat
Leased 10-21-2016

adric22
Delivery Date: 05 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 000768

Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:02 pm

GlennD wrote:
adric22 wrote:Would it be possible to get power from the rear-view mirror? My Leaf has buttons on the mirror for opening garage doors, etc.

It would be very possible. When Amazon delivers mine I will post.

The only thing I'm not sure about, though.. Do any of the power sources in the mirror get turned on and off when the cars' ignition is turned on? I think the mirror may have power all of the time. I'd definitely want the camera to know when the car is on so it starts recording, then stops when the car is turned off.
2013 Blue Nissan Leaf SV
2012 Summit White Chevy Volt

Return to “Accessories / Mods”