Review - EVSE Angled J1772 Wall Mount Dummy Inlet

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have ya'll seen this (similar) dummy wall mount on eBay? Works just fine for me; maybe it needs its own thread.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171168650540?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't like that it is not angled. It may work for some but I bought Joel's because it's angled. Plus Joel's comes with stainless screws.

I do like this sign he sells:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EV-Charging-Station-Parking-Sign-for-EV-Reserved-Charging-Stainless-Steel-/171176847260?pt=Electric_Vehicle_Parts&hash=item27daef679c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But I don't like the concept of advertising his website. Maybe I should make up some signs like that!

I could use my domain http://www.EVSE4U.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; !!! LOL

Stanton said:
Have ya'll seen this (similar) dummy wall mount on eBay? Works just fine for me; maybe it needs its own thread.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171168650540?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lasareath said:
I don't like that it is not angled. It may work for some but I bought Joel's because it's angled. Plus Joel's comes with stainless screws.

For almost twice the price I can buy my own screws (had some laying around actually); I really don't see the advantage of the angle, especially for indoor use (I wouldn't put this stuff outdoors anyway).
Like you said, to each his own!

Mine is mounted outside and I also have thousands of screws all around. I do like that his screws are stainless and are square drive. If somebody wants to steal it they need a square bit.

Eventually there will more and more of these dummy inlets around and somebody will need to review them. Maybe I might have to. As you said this one is only half the price!

Stanton said:
Lasareath said:

For almost twice the price I can buy my own screws (had some laying around actually); I really don't see the advantage of the angle, especially for indoor use (I wouldn't put this stuff outdoors anyway).
Like you said, to each his own!

I just bought one. I'll review it when it arrives.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-24 at 4.31.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-24 at 4.31.34 PM.png
    61.5 KB · Views: 43
When I downloaded the original holder from thingiverse there was only it. now there are 5 designs. Most have a latch and a couple are angled. I guess that's the beauty of of public domain. Lots of people improve on the original.

If only it did not take over four hours to print, I would try them all.

I just bought the black 90 degree holder from Ebay. I asked the seller if it has a notch to engage the locking catch on the plug, and it does. I'm going to mount it above one of my cord hooks, and use the hook as a fallback (heh) holder.

pkulak said:
Only problem is that it doesn't snap into place. The connector seems to stop about a quarter inch from all the way in, and that's enough to never let the little hook actually fall down into the locking groove:
Not a big problem though. Friction seems to holding it in just fine. It would be nice if it locked though.

Also, the screws came with it are literally the most obscure fastening devices I've ever seen, and I'm 32 years old. They look like hex screws, but there are only 4 sides. I did have some phillips screws lying around that worked though, so no problem there either.

Sorry to hear the latch is not working. I mechanically test every unit I make, there is sometimes some support material under the latch hook how GlenD pointed out. Though I always clean it out, but perhaps I may have missed it.
I designed the depth of the latch to work with 3 different types of j1772 plugs that I have here with me. (2 types of dostar, and a yazaki (one that comes with the leaf)) and the latch works with all of them, though there are varying degrees of friction. I have not had feedback about this issue before.

I have something similar to this tool to clean out the hooded inlets:
BentNeedleNosePliers.jpg

Also I am pretty sure that the screws that I include are nickel plated, not stainless. Though if this is desireable, perhaps I'll switch to SS when I use these ones up.

The square drive is pretty popular in hardware stores in Canada, they also go by the name Robinson (as apposed to Phillips). Early on, I bought a box of 100 to include as 'value-add'. The basic inlet does not come with screws.

Thanks, jclemens! I actually solved the problem by removing the hood and then the two rails on each side of the locking notch. The problem was actually about a millimeter clearance on the left. Works great now!

pkulak said:
Thanks, jclemens! I actually solved the problem by removing the hood and then the two rails on each side of the locking notch. The problem was actually about a millimeter clearance on the left. Works great now!

Interesting, I think I will modify my design to allow an extra 1mm on both sides.
Thanks!
I guess you figured out that ABS cement/solvent works so well, it is actually stronger than the ABS plastic itself once it is cured.

Back