Review - EVSE Angled J1772 Wall Mount Dummy Inlet

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UBUYGAS

Hello All,

Last week I bought a Angled J1772 Female wall mount so that I can keep my EVSE charging cable off the ground.

I bought the unit from this site: http://erroneus.myevblog.com/buy-plastic-parts-here/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This thread contains more info: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=11868&start=30#p336985" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the MNL Member I bought the Dummy Inlet from: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3642" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a nice sturdy product with a notch so that the J1772 connector clips on and does not fall out.

The only suggestion I would make is that he add White as an option.

My goal was to camouflage my EVSE Cord so that when you are driving by my house it mixes in with the color of my garage. My garage is white and so I bought white duct tape to cover the black cord. From the street the only thing that still stands out is the Gray Dummy Inlet. I might paint it.

Here's some pics of my Install:

evse_j1772_wallmount01.jpg

evse_j1772_wallmount02.jpg

evse_j1772_wallmount03.jpg

evse_j1772_wallmount04.jpg

evse_j1772_wallmount05.jpg

evse_j1772_wallmount06.jpg

evse_j1772_wallmount07.jpg

evse_j1772_wallmount08.jpg

evse_j1772_wallmount09.jpg

evse_j1772_wallmount10.jpg

evse_j1772_wallmount11.jpg

evse_j1772_wallmount12.jpg

evse_j1772_wallmount13.jpg

evse_j1772_wallmount14.jpg

Lasareath

Review - EVSE Angled J1772 Wall Mount Dummy Inlet

Thanks for the review! I ordered one as well, about a week and a half ago, but it hasn't shown up yet. Customs can really back things up.

EDIT: I wonder why he went to the trouble of building out all the port holes in the middle? Seems like just the outer circle would have worked as well. Maybe it adds strength though.

Yea I guess strength and maybe it holds onto the J1772 better. I was thinking I'd like a light in the center :)

pkulak said:
Thanks for the review! I ordered one as well, about a week and a half ago, but it hasn't shown up yet. Customs can really back things up.

EDIT: I wonder why he went to the trouble of building out all the port holes in the middle? Seems like just the outer circle would have worked as well. Maybe it adds strength though.

pkulak said:
It's 3D printed so there's very little extra effort to add those. :p

=Smidge=

Is your garage door pressing on the cable? If so, bad idea! I used 2x4 with a gap to keep it above the cable until I got my outdoor EVSE installed.The holder looks good, although I'd be worried about the plastic wearing and the retainer notch failing. How tough does the plastic seem?

LeftieBiker said:
Is your garage door pressing on the cable? If so, bad idea!

It is not pressing on the cable, Please see this post of how I made sure it does not:

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/1921410/#Comment_1921410" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LeftieBiker said:
How tough does the plastic seem?

Not sure. seems rigid. it's granular just like all 3D printed items. The screw holes held up to my Makita screw-gun just fine.

Thanks for creating this thread Sal. I noticed that the grey plastic is a very close match to your grey siding, looks good! I don't think you need to paint it.

pkulak said:

Paul, Sal is on the East coast, pretty close to me, you should get your package any day now.

I wonder why he went to the trouble of building out all the port holes in the middle? Seems like just the outer circle would have worked as well. Maybe it adds strength though.

Originally I wanted to create something that could potentially be used for testing the electrical connections, so I need something that would house the pins. That project was put aside, but in the mean-while I uploaded my original file to the thingiverse to share. It was quite a bit of effort and I failed more than once. I like the holes there because you know intuitively that this is a match for the inlet that is on your car. It may not be so obvious if it was just one big hole. They do add some strength, but that is not their intended purpose.

I have no plans on adding a light, that is why I have glow-in-the-dark available ;)

LeftieBiker said:
How tough does the plastic seem?
PLA plastic is very rigid, and I have seen it scratch other plastics. I think it should last a very long time in temperate climates. We just have to remember, it is not metal. Pulling on the cable, such as playing jump-rope, tripping on it, or hanging yourself will probably break the plastic... likely near the screws before the latch.

I was going to notch my door instead, and keep the piece of wood. I guess concrete isn't that hard to repair, either.

A general request to people posting photos: if you use a free service like Photobucket, you can post clickable thumbnail images: you just click on the image for a bigger one. Failing that, reducing the photo size with an editing program will let the page load reasonably fast...

The problem with the piece of wood is that my garage has a sensor that will retract the door if it closes on something.

If you time it just right and the door sits open by a couple of inches then my cats can get out (their litter boxes are in the garage)

If you didn't have cats then the problem I have is that (and I tested this) on my door if it does not close all the way down and you insert something under the door and click the down button the door will hit the object and the safety feature will trigger and the door will retract all the way up.

Nice and easy for thieves to enter the garage and steal my (2) $2500.00 StreetStriders and $10,000.00 in tools.

The notch in the concrete is a much better way to do it.

As per the size of the photos, thanks for the tips but I have posted 1000's of photos on the web over the past 20 years. These photos have already been resized before uploading them to my own FTP server. The pictures have been resized to 1000 pixels on one side. The original size is around 3000 to 3500 pixels, so the images are 3 to 3.5X smaller than what comes out of my iPhone.

I use an App named FTPonTheGo to upload the my photos directly from my iPhone to one of my servers depending on the topic of the photo.
http://ftponthego.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sal

LeftieBiker said:
I was going to notch my door instead, and keep the piece of wood. I guess concrete isn't that hard to repair, either.

A general request to people posting photos: if you use a free service like Photobucket, you can post clickable thumbnail images: you just click on the image for a bigger one. Failing that, reducing the photo size with an editing program will let the page load reasonably fast...

This is not a beautiful solution but works for me--I had the electrician put in two of these RV hatches (one on inside wall, one on outside wall) so there's a little locking door with a notch cut out for the charger cable in my garage. The notch is the perfect size for the cable on my AV charger. The locks on the hatches are by no means sturdy, so they're in a part of my wall that isn't near a door handle or anything valuable. Even if an intruder busted it open, they'd be able to stick their arm inside and nothing else. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0021W9R68/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you were a handy sort of person, you could probably fabricate a cute little door with the same features.

I park inside the garage when I can, but my husband uses the space for projects so I wanted flexibility. We have a rat problem in our neighborhood (avocado trees), so I didn't want to just pass the cable under the garage door with any kind of gap.

I have been looking for a dummy inlet like this, so thanks for the info.

I like that little door. Very Good idea.

I like this one as well: http://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-541-2-A-Deluxe-Electric/dp/B000BGJWA2/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I did think about putting something similar through my house or garage door but I decided that under the door was the easiest for my location.

The only reason I bought this dummy inlet is because I didn't want the handle sitting in the snow this winter. All summer it has been sitting on the ground with no issues.

happyZEVer said:
This is not a beautiful solution but works for me--I had the electrician put in two of these RV hatches (one on inside wall, one on outside wall) so there's a little locking door with a notch cut out for the charger cable in my garage. The notch is the perfect size for the cable on my AV charger. The locks on the hatches are by no means sturdy, so they're in a part of my wall that isn't near a door handle or anything valuable. Even if an intruder busted it open, they'd be able to stick their arm inside and nothing else. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0021W9R68/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you were a handy sort of person, you could probably fabricate a cute little door with the same features.

I park inside the garage when I can, but my husband uses the space for projects so I wanted flexibility. We have a rat problem in our neighborhood (avocado trees), so I didn't want to just pass the cable under the garage door with any kind of gap.

I have been looking for a dummy inlet like this, so thanks for the info.

As per the size of the photos, thanks for the tips but I have posted 1000's of photos on the web over the past 20 years. These photos have already been resized before uploading them to my own FTP server. The pictures have been resized to 1000 pixels on one side. The original size is around 3000 to 3500 pixels, so the images are 3 to 3.5X smaller than what comes out of my iPhone.

Not to belabor the point, but this topic takes along time to load, and the posts keep jumping around as the photos 'fill in'. It's a shame we don't have a way to "hide" posts like with Motet.

You need to get a modern internet connection. Dial-up and DSL are so 1994. You need Fios or Cable. My Cable connection downloads at 50Mbps

LeftieBiker said:

Not to belabor the point, but this topic takes along time to load, and the posts keep jumping around as the photos 'fill in'. It's a shame we don't have a way to "hide" posts like with Motet.

You need to get a modern internet connection. Dial-up and DSL are so 1994. You need Fios or Cable. My Cable connection downloads at 50Mbps

What a ridiculous, elitist thing to write. Those photos could have been 1/10th the size you posted and been just as informative. I guess I'll just filter you when you post giant pictures of modest objects. That will fix the page load issue.

Alright, got mine today! I got the one with the hood. Very handy for keeping the cable off the ground:

It's pretty cool. I've never seen anything 3D printed before. You can actually see every single layer in the edges. Amazing. Only problem is that it doesn't snap into place. The connector seems to stop about a quarter inch from all the way in, and that's enough to never let the little hook actually fall down into the locking groove:

Not a big problem though. Friction seems to holding it in just fine. It would be nice if it locked though.

Also, the screws came with it are literally the most obscure fastening devices I've ever seen, and I'm 32 years old. They look like hex screws, but there are only 4 sides. I did have some phillips screws lying around that worked though, so no problem there either.

It looks like you have concrete under it. If so, I would definitely find a way to lock it in place. That was my big concern with these things - the plug dropping to the hard, hard apron.

Looks very nice!

On mine the lock is very snug but you can use your thumb to press it down and lock it in because there is no hood in the way.

Those screws are square drive or Robertson http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You'll find them on a lot of electrical devices such as circuit breakers because the screw holds on for dear life and won't fall off and cause a short on a live circuit.

I have a couple sets of bits with them so it was a piece of cake to screw in.

Here's a video showing how they hold: http://johnmacnab.hubpages.com/video/Robertsonthe-Finest-Screw-on-the-Planet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pkulak said:
Alright, got mine today! I got the one with the hood. Very handy for keeping the cable off the ground:

It's pretty cool. I've never seen anything 3D printed before. You can actually see every single layer in the edges. Amazing. Only problem is that it doesn't snap into place. The connector seems to stop about a quarter inch from all the way in, and that's enough to never let the little hook actually fall down into the locking groove:

Not a big problem though. Friction seems to holding it in just fine. It would be nice if it locked though.

Also, the screws came with it are literally the most obscure fastening devices I've ever seen, and I'm 32 years old. They look like hex screws, but there are only 4 sides. I did have some phillips screws lying around that worked though, so no problem there either.

Here you go, I made these just for you. 1/10 of the size. In the future I'll make two Threads per topic. One will have "- Low Res" at the end. That'll be for all the 800x600 dial up people.

evsedummyleftiebiker01.jpg
evsedummyleftiebiker02.jpg
evsedummyleftiebiker03.jpg
evsedummyleftiebiker04.jpg
evsedummyleftiebiker05.jpg
evsedummyleftiebiker06.jpg
evsedummyleftiebiker07.jpg
evsedummyleftiebiker08.jpg
evsedummyleftiebiker09.jpg

evsedummyleftiebiker10.jpg
evsedummyleftiebiker11.jpg
evsedummyleftiebiker12.jpg

evsedummyleftiebiker13.jpg
evsedummyleftiebiker14.jpg

LeftieBiker said:
What a ridiculous, elitist thing to write. Those photos could have been 1/10th the size you posted and been just as informative. I guess I'll just filter you when you post giant pictures of modest objects. That will fix the page load issue.

pkulak said:

Look for extra plastic. On the holders with latch there has been a slight amount of dross in the latch area since the printer really does not like unsupported runs. An exacto knife cleans it right up.

GlennD said:
Look for extra plastic. On the holders with latch there has been a slight amount of dross in the latch area since the printer really does not like unsupported runs. An exacto knife cleans it right up.

Yeah, that would probably do it, but I can't get any kind of tool up under that hood. The one without the hood is probably a better idea just because you can clean up any issues there may be.

Back