Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turbo3 said:
GoneSilent said:
My requests: DTC code reset working, I-Key fault error listing.
What DTC code is it?

I want to clear P18AB, P189D, P3180, P3182, P3100, U100A. I also have a few on the ABS side but I think that is related to the back-up brake capacitor and will go away. Do you know how many key cycles the leaf takes to self clear codes?

Also a note for others on 12v battery removal, If the battery is removed within 5 minutes after the power switch is turned OFF, multiple DTCs may be detected. So wait a good 5mins before you remove power to the 12v battery.

Turbo3 said:
What version of the app did you get running on your Kindle HD 8.9? Lite/standard/Pro and 0.28.?? or 0.27.
The only version I could get my hands on was V0.28.12 Lite from the Google Play store.

Turbo3 said:
Amazon requires that they test the app first before it is made available and they are the ones saying it has orientation problems and does not work on the Kindle HD 8.9. This was also verified by another Kindle user I sent the Lite APK too. Amazon controls what devices can download the app based on their testing.
There you go, had to jinx it. ;) I can confirm that on the 8.9 the app stops when I spin the screen around, but it's fine after a quick restart. I generally don't spin the device when I using it - sorry.

For what it's worth, the coder adapting CyanogenMod to the KFHD devices had to re-write the display/screen rotation code as it appears Amazon did something strange with the KFHD 8.9. Your app works perfectly on the KFHD 8.9 and 7 when the devices are running the ported Jelly Bean OS.

Turbo3 said:
Amazon tested the Kindle Fire HD (smaller screen) and said it passed but I have reports that that device is also not allowed to download. So I don't know what is going on with Amazon. It takes days for Amazon to test and report back which does not work well as a way to debug this problem.
I'm not surprised here as the store doesn't appear to segregate by KFHD 7 or 8.9 - it'll be an 'all or none' situation for you.

Sorry for the incomplete report earlier. I didn't get the screen rotation crash as I didn't rotate the screen the past few times I've used the app. And again - after the 'the app has stopped' message, one tap and it's back. If I lock the screen rotation on the Kindle, there's no app crash.

In other news, you got some advertising across the pond (start at 1:45 in):
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThHndplO4iI[/youtube]

For those who want to match their car's speed against
another source, try using GPS speed.

If you have an Android device with GPS (like the Kyocera Event),
the "GPS Test" app seems to be very good. It is free at
the Google Play Store, in the apps section.

I use it, and it has some very nicely done displays.

LEAFfan said:
Lasareath said:
LEAFfan said:
The problem with this mini is it isn't easy to open so it can be switched from 'always on' to switched Power (pin16 to pin 8).

Doesn't it turn off when the LEAF is off?, I had it on and connected to the App and when I turned off my LEAF the connection was severed between the car and my smartphone.

No, the red Power light stays on unless it's taken apart and you switch your pins. I believe this info is in the LEAF BA Wiki (now LEAF SPY).

So what's the hazard if I don't tear the adapter apart and move the power input? Does it run down my battery?

How can I tell if I need to do this? just look for the red light if the car is off and not charging?

pthack said:
So what's the hazard if I don't tear the adapter apart and move the power input? Does it run down my battery?

How can I tell if I need to do this? just look for the red light if the car is off and not charging?
Very few people have modded their adapters. I leave mine plugged in all the time and no sweat. If you were to leave the car off, LEAF Spy open, AND keep the phone in Bluetooth range of the car for an extended period it might be a problem, but otherwise no.

AndyH said:
In other news, you got some advertising across the pond (start at 1:45 in)
Thanks for noticing! Jim deserves it. It's not just the UK; LeafSpy is popular in places like Australia and Germany as well. We uploaded the relevant segment to our YouTube channel in July. Nikki does an admirable job with her show. Very excited about the new format (T.E.N.). Hopefully, it will work out as well as planned.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsc6v64zwos[/youtube]

Turbo3 said:
Minor updated released. Version 0.28.11

Features
* Independent selection of Temperature Units (C or F) from Speed/Distance Units.

Now that temps have dropped, what is your opinion on the accuracy of the tire pressures reported?

Thanks for update Turbo3! I noticed that previously the ambient temperature was displayed in F on the 4th page but this doesnt show in C. Could you please get that added to the app?

Also would like ability to remove GID's bar from page4 or at least ability to change colour of those bars as its the screen I use the most.

For a future feature, would it be possible to record journey stats i.e. when a start button is pressed, miles are totalled along with kwh used and on pressing stop line is saved to a separate text file (journeys.csv) containing the miles covered and watts used, maybe also min and max batt temperature?

Many thanks

Jim,

I am now a happy pro owner and the app works fine. As you probably know, the 2013 Leafs made May or later report some values differently than prior Leafs. Specifically, capacity when new is usually about 61Ahr and miles reserved below vlbw is greater. I would much rather know distance to turtle than distance to lbw or vlbw.

I understand that distance to turtle is difficult to estimate and that the current distance to reserve function helps some. As a temporary help if you could add bubbles in the settings for 0 and 1% SOC reserved it would help until a way to calculate distance to turtle can be worked out.

Also, since many of your new users will more and more be 2013 owners,
It would help if initial setup included a notice notifying a new user that the 2013s have lower new capacities. Currently there are appearing more 2013 owners very worried when they install leafspy on their new car and get a value of 90% of "new"

At the same time I think you should rename health as simply "H" or H-factor. It really isn't the health of the battery. I actually think this value shouldn't be available to most users at all, since we really don't know what it represents.

slinkyuk said:
Thanks for update Turbo3! I noticed that previously the ambient temperature was displayed in F on the 4th page but this doesnt show in C. Could you please get that added to the app?
The reason the app does not show ambient in C units is I am not sure of the ambient message format for Leafs that default to C units.

For F the app uses the following conversion to go from raw message data to degrees F: Ambient=BB(4)-52

I will need an ELM trace from a Leaf that displays the ambient in C to learn the conversion formula. I will also need to know what the dash ambient was at the time the ELM trace was taken. It should be taken after the Leaf has been sitting at the same temperature for an hour to be sure the raw and dash are the same since the dash takes a long time to respond to ambient changes.

stjohnh said:
Jim,

I am now a happy pro owner and the app works fine. As you probably know, the 2013 Leafs made May or later report some values differently than prior Leafs. Specifically, capacity when new is usually about 61Ahr and miles reserved below vlbw is greater. I would much rather know distance to turtle than distance to lbw or vlbw.

I understand that distance to turtle is difficult to estimate and that the current distance to reserve function helps some. As a temporary help if you could add bubbles in the settings for 0 and 1% SOC reserved it would help until a way to calculate distance to turtle can be worked out.

Also, since many of your new users will more and more be 2013 owners,
It would help if initial setup included a notice notifying a new user that the 2013s have lower new capacities. Currently there are appearing more 2013 owners very worried when they install leafspy on their new car and get a value of 90% of "new"

At the same time I think you should rename health as simply "H" or H-factor. It really isn't the health of the battery. I actually think this value shouldn't be available to most users at all, since we really don't know what it represents.
Version 0.28.12 will allow percent value selections of 0 and 1 for SOC reserved.

I will also switch to displaying the real Battery Health value from CAN message 0x5B3. However, for now Health will only be read once each time the app is started as it requires special code. So if Health changes while you drive you will not see the change until you exit and restart the app.

I see newer cars and the once that has P3227 update report 60,5ah from the app. But GIDS are only 255, not 281 as before. Is then about 255 GIDS normal?
My car is 2012 model With P3227 update AHr went from 66.4 to 60.5 in only one month after update.

Ingez said:
My car is 2012 model With P3227 update AHr went from 66.4 to 60.5 in only one month after update.

I think it is because P3227 update gives you more accurate readings, while pre-update leafs in cold climates reports high AHr. Mine Leaf is also not yet updated.
What mileage you have?

highend said:
Ingez said:

I think it is because P3227 update gives you more accurate readings, while pre-update leafs in cold climates reports high AHr. Mine Leaf is also not yet updated.
What mileage you have?

I have 8400 km, temp is arround 3 celcius here now

Just finishing up the testing of the next version 0.28.12. Here are screenshots of the first screen with the new SOH (State of Health) replacing the older value that was called Hlth (Health) which is now renamed to Hx since we are not sure what it really means. Also cleaned up the QC and L1/L2 layout based on Gary Giddings suggestions.

6x6y.png

l7a8.png

Turbo3 said:
Just finishing up the testing of the next version 0.28.12. Here are screenshots of the first screen with the new SOH (State of Health) replacing the older value that was called Hlth (Health) which is now renamed to Hx since we are not sure what it really means. Also cleaned up the QC and L1/L2 layout based on Gary Giddings suggestions.

6x6y.png

l7a8.png

Looks good. Look forward to see SOH on my battery

The previous tolerance was plus or minus 10 percent. Post P3227 it is plus 0 and minus 4 percent...

highend said:

Back