SAE J1772 inlet port Dimensions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ILETRIC said:
How about making a mold out of it and proceed from there... I like it!
Like casting in aluminum? :D

I did recommend borland that the internal dimension be increased for a "comfortable" fit. Guess I overshot a tad... too loose a fit is better than too tight, though! Glad it worked out!
=Smidge=

Borland, where do you think you will go from here? Try submitting it to sharp ways and see what the options are as far as materials and whatnot? It would be great if we could all order these directly from them.

dzd said:
Borland, where do you think you will go from here? Try submitting it to sharp ways and see what the options are as far as materials and whatnot? It would be great if we could all order these directly from them.

I'm still waiting for a reply for information about printing specifications from Shapeways. I don't see them as being a supplier that would be inexpensive. I uploaded a file earlier to Shapeways server and the server said the part passed all test for printing and showed a price quote of $65 for one. I assume they would add taxes and shipping to that. So, I would need to remove some material in order to get the price down lower, but I don't think it would be down to a reasonable level.

There are other small printers that can produce the part much cheaper. I'm thinking now that I might be able to get them made with 3D printing in ABS plastic material with shipping for $25 each. I'll let you know when I have more information. Could be a few more weeks of work.

If I were getting a 3D printer, under $999 for my birthday,
which one would you suggest?

The Solidoodle 3 perhaps?
http://store.solidoodle.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=79" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks, Gary

garygid said:
If I were getting a 3D printer, under $999 for my birthday,
which one would you suggest?
Depends on how technically inclined you are. If you want an out-of-the-box machine I can't say anything bad about the latest generation of Solidoodle. You an certainly do a lot worse. (Stay away from anything involving the word "Acrylic" IMHO...)

If you're adventurous you can save quite a bit of money sourcing parts yourself, but obviously that's time and effort not everyone is willing to put into it. You can also get part kits (partial or complete) as a compromise.
=Smidge=

Anyone interested in a small J1772 tea cup?

oa0y87.jpg

Actually, I was playing with the 3D CAD program and came up with this... it's supposed to be a J1772 plug dust cover.

2afybfn.jpg

I'm still working on the 3D printed J1772 holster at a low cost.

----------------------------------------
- Update May 6, 2013...

I made some changes to the design to accommodate Shapeway's manufacturing process... this makes the tube wall thiner and hollows out the bottom.. These changes only reduce the price to $50 which I assume you'd need to add taxes and S&H. So that's still not reasonable.

35i9k07.jpg

n7s4.jpg

I need to make a J1772 snap in holder for our EVSEs at the university. Some times the cord gets bumped and the 75 amp cordset falls on the ground. I need a 90 degree version with two mounting holes one that the top middle and one at the bottom. I have access to a Z-corp 3d printer in my engineering building. The base needs to be thin enough to fit behind the metal holding braket which is about (1/4" gap) maybe a bit thicker even.

Borland do you think I could print some slightly modified versions of your holder and test them out here?

IMG_0523.JPG

IMG_0528.JPG

something like this?

35k37tf.jpg

I'm kinda busy now, so the answer is no, not now. Don't know what that Z-corp printer does or what its process is.

I can't find anyone that can make a decent print to my dimensions, so I'm not likely to spend any more time with this project.

Borland, would you be willing to share the work you have done so that one of us may try to carry on the project? Like maybe share your drawings on the auto desk share site of email me the files?

No. I don't want anyone putting graffiti on my graffiti art. Nothing very complicated here that you can't duplicate very quickly. Besides, the Autodesk's 123D Design free software has some bugs that create problems modifying existing drawings, so it's best to start with basic shapes when learning to use the program.

The biggest problem is with printing. The hobby/open source 3D printers require calibration and settings that most operators don't fully understand.

Sorry to be somewhat off topic, but has anyone measured the diameter of the charging cable on the 2013 level 1 EVSE? Is it still ~11.5 mm as was the previous years, or is it thinner?

Check out my Install and review pictures here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=15077" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks Joel for posting your link below! I just bought one of these:

J1772_wall_mount.jpg

You don't happen to have WHITE PLA?

http://erroneus.myevblog.com/buy-plastic-parts-here/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jclemens said:
I can't believe you guys missed this. :?
I had this done, printed and uploaded a month before this thread was even created

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:53586

who in the world has a 3d printer at home and has not heard of the thingiverse?!

Sorry, no white, Once I use up the dark blue PLA, I will get white next time. You are not the first to request it.
The dark blue was a mistake as I was trying to order glow-in-the-dark blue.
I will be sending you grey and you'll get an email as soon as it goes out.

Thanks!

Can I spray paint the unit?

jclemens said:
Sorry, no white, Once I use up the dark blue PLA, I will get white next time. You are not the first to request it.
The dark blue was a mistake as I was trying to order glow-in-the-dark blue.
I will be sending you grey and you'll get an email as soon as it goes out.

I have painted PLA in the past, but with a brush, not sure how it would take a spray, it might work.
I'd suggest masking the input area as to not get paint flakes in your charge plug.

Back