Hydrogen and FCEVs discussion thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GRA said:
Found the following NREL report, which describes the range verification test done for the Toyota FCHV-ADV (the Torrance-LA-SD and return real-world 331.5 mile drive I referenced a few posts back):

http://www.nrel.gov/hydrogen/pdfs/toyota_fchv-adv_range_verification.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It describes the vehicle as well as the test, the latter in great detail.

21 Kwh NiMH battery?

AndyH said:
Is it ok for Exxon to continue to exist in a 2050 future if they still process petrochemicals, but if a majority of their cashflow comes from providing H2 with electrolysis, or by owning wind farms, or performing other non-extractive/non-polluting functions? I ask this from a point of view inside a post 2050 world where most H2 is supplied locally as part of the distributed and renewable 'energy internet.'

Sure. Petroleum will continue to be necessary feedstock to numerous uses, from materials to fertilizers, to pharmaceuticals. That's why it's even more absurd to burn it for transportation.

Nubo said:
Sure. Petroleum will continue to be necessary feedstock to numerous uses, from materials to fertilizers, to pharmaceuticals. That's why it's even more absurd to burn it for transportation.
+1

Particularly when there are renewable transportation options available that are less costly.

Another reason to install local hydrolysis units - especially in time for the 2015 FCHV roll-out - seems that 10AM till 4PM might be a good time to convert some electrons to H2:

DuckChartBlogPost-ChartCourtesyCAISO.png

http://blog.rmi.org/blog_2013_10_29_renewables_bird_problem

Paper with examples of power import/export, demand response, and other possible ways to 'flatten the duck':
http://www.clean-coalition.org/site...bles-Integration_Power-19_ssw-21-Oct-2013.pdf

Stumbled on this - nice overview of the market from the inside as of 30 Sep 2012. Provides a view of the German TIR buildout as well as the work in the US.

The audio is clean and clear, but the captions appear to work well. (Except when they don't. "Nuclear generation" became "new killer". :lol: )

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxidO4F8an4[/youtube]

http://www.hydrogenics.com/about-th...th-a-commitment-of-up-to-us$20-million-a-year

A point from the talk. Transcription errors mine...

The slide actually exists on account of a visit I made to some investors here in London four weeks ago challenging me about the economics and details about how you put this together and actually see a rate of return. The only thing I draw your attention to this morning ... is on the right hand side you can see that at least a utility rate of return (ROI) is realizable across four different business models in using this power to gas solution. Whether it's for grid-scale, or biogas enhancement [electrolyzing hydrogen from excess wind and injecting it into the natural gas system rather than curtailing generation], or the wind-gas cooperative model that is being marketed today in Germany, or finally a captive wind to hydrogen fueling model that has already been talked about this morning. In each case we're showing a positive 12-15% return - this is basically the math that E.On and Enbridge did over the course of 14 months as they did due diligence on both the solution and our company in looking at business models for this application.

edit...typos

drees said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
that would be a misprint im sure. makes no sense to designate a battery by something other than capacity or voltage
It's not. It's done all the time.
AFAIK, batteries in FCEVs are usually rated in power terms (kW) rather than energy (kWh), because they're used for extra acceleration and to have someplace to dump energy from regenerative braking, rather than to provide main propulsive energy (which the fuel cell, also rated by its electric power output, takes care of). In the case of a FCHEV like this one, the battery can also be used as the main source of energy for a limited range, apparently about 30 miles, similar to the Outlander PHEV.

The use of NIMH is also not surprising, for a few reasons. Toyota is familiar with them, but more importantly, IIRR NiMH is a power battery more than an energy battery, and is probably better suited to intermittent operation. It's also more durable than currently available Li-ion batteries.

BTW, I found a more technical version of the California Fuel Cell Partnership Roadmap, which goes into matters like hydrogen costing per kg., wholesale and retail, using nat. gas reforming at various production scales in more detail. To be conservative on cost projections the roadmap assumes trailer delivery to dispensing sites, the least efficient and most costly method. I updated the link in my earlier post, or this will take you directly to it:

http://cafcp.org/sites/files/A%20California%20Road%20Map%20June%202012%20%28CaFCP%20technical%20version%29_1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still just 28 pages.

AndyH said:
Another reason to install local hydrolysis units - especially in time for the 2015 FCHV roll-out - seems that 10AM till 4PM might be a good time to convert some electrons to H2:

DuckChartBlogPost-ChartCourtesyCAISO.png

http://blog.rmi.org/blog_2013_10_29_renewables_bird_problem

Paper with examples of power import/export, demand response, and other possible ways to 'flatten the duck':
http://www.clean-coalition.org/site...bles-Integration_Power-19_ssw-21-Oct-2013.pdf
More scare mongering over solar IMO.
The drop from 2014 to 2015 is too big to take seriously.

Besides the best way to mitigate solar would be to charge (and pay) rates based on actual peak TOU.

The current 10a to 6p for SCE just seems wrong. s/b 2p to 7p or 8p. But don't tell SCE.
Once midday becomes off peak or super off peak then just adjust rates accordingly. But I don't think that is happening any time soon and certainly not in 2015 as shown.

Don't remember if this paper has previously been linked, but it's a DoE comparison of BEVs and FCEVs dating from 2009, comparing energy and power densities. The FCEV wins for long range, as it's both lighter and requires a smaller volume for storage than the BEV. This is at an energy density of about 200Wh/L for the Li-ion batteries. Improved batteries narrow the gap, but batteries still have a ways to go:

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/hydrogenandfuelcells/education/pdfs/thomas_fcev_vs_battery_evs.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GRA said:
http://www1.eere.energy.gov/hydrogenandfuelcells/education/pdfs/thomas_fcev_vs_battery_evs.pdf

Well, since that guy is clearly "selling" hydrogen, let's see how this comment looks based on what we know today:

"An EV with an advanced Li­Ion battery could in principle achieve 250 to 300 miles range, but these batteries would take up 400 to 600 liters of space (equivalent to a 100 to 160 gallon gasoline tank!). The fuel cell plus hydrogen storage tanks would take up less than half this space, and, if the DOE hydrogen storage goals are achieved, then the hydrogen tanks would occupy only 100 liters (26 gallons) volume for 300 miles range."

TonyWilliams said:
GRA said:
http://www1.eere.energy.gov/hydrogenandfuelcells/education/pdfs/thomas_fcev_vs_battery_evs.pdf

Well, since that guy is clearly "selling" hydrogen, let's see how this comment looks based on what we know today:

"An EV with an advanced Li­Ion battery could in principle achieve 250 to 300 miles range, but these batteries would take up 400 to 600 liters of space (equivalent to a 100 to 160 gallon gasoline tank!). The fuel cell plus hydrogen storage tanks would take up less than half this space, and, if the DOE hydrogen storage goals are achieved, then the hydrogen tanks would occupy only 100 liters (26 gallons) volume for 300 miles range."

yeah, thats a great work of fiction, Tesla has a frunk, a cabin for 5, and a boot that fits 2 kids
the shorter range Honda Fuel cell vehicle, its got a cabin for 4, and a boot

next thing is that they would imagine that H2 fuel cell efficiency is comparable to Battery EV!

ydnas7 said:
TonyWilliams said:
GRA said:

yeah, thats a great work of fiction, Tesla has a frunk, a cabin for 5, and a boot that fits 2 kids
the shorter range Honda Fuel cell vehicle, its got a cabin for 4, and a boot

next thing is that they would imagine that H2 fuel cell efficiency is comparable to Battery EV!

Here's some more:

"All­ electric battery ­powered electric vehicles will probably find niche applications as city cars and limited range commuter cars. A major breakthrough in battery technology, well beyond the US ABC battery goals, would be required before a battery EV could satisfy customer’s needs for conventional passenger cars, particularly with respect to battery recharging times. Most drivers would not accept more than 15 to 20 minutes charging time on long distance travel for EVs, while FCEVs can be refueled in the 5 to 10 minutes expected by consumers."

smkettner said:
More scare mongering over solar IMO.
The drop from 2014 to 2015 is too big to take seriously.

Besides the best way to mitigate solar would be to charge (and pay) rates based on actual peak TOU.

The current 10a to 6p for SCE just seems wrong. s/b 2p to 7p or 8p. But don't tell SCE.
Once midday becomes off peak or super off peak then just adjust rates accordingly. But I don't think that is happening any time soon and certainly not in 2015 as shown.
It's not scare mongering! That's important - it's one of the lessons learned in Germany. Again - if you haven't looked over the Third Industrial Revolution talk, or read info about what's been happening in Germany for the past 5 years (you know, the stuff a certain political groups throw to 'prove' solar won't work - like negative pricing or grid instability) than this won't make sense.

I've pointed it out already in this thread, and have posted links and info in other threads, but this is exactly what Californian's can expect as more renewables are put on the grid if we don't add storage. It's what Rifkin's talked about from Europe, and it's what Lovins and RMI have talked about in Reinventing Fire.

The 'duck' chart was prepared not by Koch-funded anti-renewables forces or Arizona regulators fighting rooftop solar, but by independent groups working to transform our grid and learning from the experiences of the groups on the planet that are ahead of us.

edit...not completely accurate. The chart itself was created by CAISO.

I don't buy it one iota. I can't get how that much solar gets installed in one year.
We would need to add in 2015 as much solar as all previous installed combined. Are there really that many commercial sites getting completed because no way home solar will jump that fast. Yes I agree storage would be huge to carry that power into the early evening.

I have never seen that dip in demand into the 4pm hour yet it says it already exists in average demand.
I plan to revisit this in March to see how far off that prediction really is.
Why not show October so we can also look at the real curve.

http://www.caiso.com/Pages/TodaysOutlook.aspx#SupplyandDemand

Must be a different graph because it dips well below the current overnight minimum in the middle of the day.

The California Independent System Operator (CAISO) created the "Duck Chart" to show
how high levels of solar could result in system balancing issues starting in 2015 as
California approaches the 33% RPS in 2020. Unfortunately, the Duck Chart has been
used to falsely illustrate a need for new natural gas plants that can ramp up and down
quickly to address sharp changes in net demand (demand minus solar and wind
generation) in the spring months starting in 2015, as solar comes online in the mornings
and tapers off in the evenings.

Germany's seen this, as have other areas of the EU.

From here:http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=333790#p333790
...We had the five pillars, but we moved pillar 1 quickly, and not the other four. So we put in a huge amount of green electricity because we have feed-in tariffs. That is, you're paid premium for sending your green electricity back to the grid beyond what the price of the market is to encourage early adoption. So we have millions of people putting in a little green electricity. ... We didn't move pillar 4 quick enough - the energy internet. So we got millions of little players trying to get green electricity into a grid that's 60 years old, servo-mechanical, centralized, leaks 20% of its electricity and it's overwhelmed by all these little players - it can't handle it. Then Pillar 1 has been so successful we have so much green electricity because of the feed-in tariffs - we didn't move Pillar 3 storage fast enough. We've got regions that are 30, 40, 50, and 60% green electricity and we are losing 3 out of 4 kiloWatts because we're not storing the energy. So the electricity is at night because of the wind - we don't need it at night! Sometimes at high-noon there's so much solar going into the grid that we have negative price - meaning the utility pays you to not put the energy on. Then at midnight it goes back up again because we haven't put in Pillar 3 storage. And now our car companies are petrified because they spent billions on electric and fuel cell vehicles, they're sending them to market but if they don't have an infrastructure to plug them into, it's all lost. So we've got to build this out as an infrastructure revolution. And when we do, this third industrial revolution, this is power to the people - I mean this literally and figuratively.

Andy; showing us over capacity potential means nothing unless you can show that hydrogen has made improvements in containment, transportation and storage. THAT is the holy grail. it is that which puts hydrogen in the same ballpark as gasoline and its prime advantage over electricity.

until you can show us that, I prefer molten salt, pumped water, etc. as a way to store over capacity. neither is a great option (although molten salt does seem to have enough merit to warrant futher investment into the tech) now neither of these options are portable. they only store power onsite which greatly limits its usability.

when we can create the hydrogen by hydrolysis, pipe it 300 miles to major refueling station to put into big trucks and do it without losing half of it in the process, then we got something. so are we at that point?

keep in mind; the piping system must be robust enough to last long enough to justify its initial costs.

must be cheap enough to be able to calculate a reasonable rate of return and by reasonable; I think 25-30% is reasonable considering the massive health and ecological benefits involved.

but we dont have any of that. not one single point. current containment still leaks. it is VERY expensive and uses materials that is currently in a worldwide shortage which means any significant additional demand will cause an already expensive item to sky rocket.

keep in mind; hydrogen is a great idea towards a partial solution to our transportaion needs and it will have to work in concert with plain old battery EVs so with that mind; if any of the above had been solved, seems to me that would have made just as much news as a 200 mile battery pack weighing 300 lbs would have

smkettner said:
I have never seen that dip in demand into the 4pm hour yet it says it already exists in average demand.

My take is that the curve doesn't represent total demand, but the portion of demand not being met by solar/wind.

Back