Nissan To Install 500 More Quick Charge Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
Valdemar? so the two at Cal State Northridge are not associated with a dealership? Now that would be AWESOME!

They sure don't look like there's any connection to a dealership. Valdemar - the DEETS please!

They are listed on plugshare, that's where I found them. I haven't seen them in person even though I was on campus multiple times recently dropping my kids off at the summer camp there (used a different parking lot). CSUN has several free L2s around the campus, and now these. Very nice.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Valdemar? so the two at Cal State Northridge are not associated with a dealership? Now that would be AWESOME!
Is that the first dual installation for Nissan QCs, and available 24/7? Could it be they've actually started to listen to their customers? Nah, only in a dream. ;)

7:30 pm, charging using one of the DC units at CSUN, both are online, no fob to scan, looks like the chargers should be physically accessible 24/7, free (for now?), and it is not even my birthday.

TomT said:
Which lot is it and is that lot available to mere non-CSUN mortals?

Valdemar said:
2 more popped up at California State University Northridge:

Enter from Zelzah on Prairie St., turn right on the first stop sign just before the Student Recreation Center (big modern building), drive straight to the next stop sign, lot F5 is on the North-West corner of that intersection just North of the SRC, chargers are in the North-East corner of the parking lot along Matador dr. (you park facing Zelzah to charge). No signage yet. I was able to just drive in and charge today, and I have no current affiliation with the university. No idea if it is going to be like this on a permanent basis. You can't leave your car as you need a permit to park there. Who knows, may be they will require a daily permit ($6) to be able to charge there, but there is no gate of any kind that can block access to the chargers. Charging went past 90% today, so I don't think there is any charging limit set on them currently, the ones that are at dealerships are usually set to 80% or 90% which roughly corresponds to 8 and 10 bars on my '11.

EDIT: I had to stop there today as well and charge stopped at 90%, likely because I started with a higher SOC. I had a chat with a guy who was interested in the technology and also happened to work there, he said they plan to start charging money in the future for the QC. Unclear if this information can be trusted as there must be a pay system in place. It was a busy morning in the parking lot but both spots were open when I arrived. Not for long though as when I was leaving someone pulled into one of them. I don't think ICE'ing will be an issue once the signage is installed as the lots are monitored by parking enforcement there on a regular basis.

Computerizer said:
The Nissan LEAF Facebook folks linked to this article a bit ago:
Nissan To Triple Quick-Charging Stations For Electric Cars Over 18 Months
There are now about 160 quick-charge stations, mostly on the West Coast and in Texas; Nissan hopes to add another 500 new stations over the next 18 months.
This is probably good news for those of you that aren't on the west coast and have very few CHAdeMO options!
They said 500 stations in 18 months and everyone cheered, me included.

Nissan how are we doing on those 500 stations now that we are coming up on the half way mark ?

I find it funny that there is NO Sumitomo label to be found anywhere.

Manufacturer: Sumitomo
Distributor: Aerovironment
Brand: Nissan

cwerdna said:
Valdemar said:
It is a complicated view for a simple problem. All they need to know there are 2 types of chargers installed on the property, regular/slow and fast, and if they work or not. Is this too much to ask?
The unfortunate part is that some PHEV owners along with non-plugin vehicle owners incorrectly refer to charging at 240 volts as "fast charging". :roll:

OT, I haven't really kept up with this thread but I know people talked about the weather exposed 3 fans on the Nissan QCs. I looked at the one at Nissan Sunnyvale a few weeks ago and noticed that along w/2 fans under a hood (presumably not as weatherproof). I put up a few pics at https://picasaweb.google.com/105684180251177299188/NissanCHAdeMOCharger?authkey=Gv1sRgCJis0ZrH8qjH3wE#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

CHAdeMO 3,073 Quick Chargers Deployed
306 in USA
http://insideevs.com/chademo-3073-dc-quick-chargers-deployed-306-in-us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone want to guess how many are Nissan installs and how many are AV or Blink or whatever ?

KJD said:
CHAdeMO 3,073 Quick Chargers Deployed
306 in USA
http://insideevs.com/chademo-3073-dc-quick-chargers-deployed-306-in-us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone want to guess how many are Nissan installs and how many are AV or Blink or whatever ?
Thanks for the update, but I guess we "middle-of-the-map" drivers are SOL. Nothing across the entire center of the country is very disappointing.

Yep, looks like Kansas has the same number as Utah, Big Goose Egg. :evil:

Maybe someday EV Oasis will expand outside of CA, they seem to be doing it right.
http://insideevs.com/first-publicly-available-chargepoint-dc-quick-charger-logs-1000th-charging-session/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now, after almost 10 months of use (November 2012 install), this charger, owned and operated by Evoasis, reached the 1000th charging session, which makes it one of busiest on the West Coast.

KJD said:
Yep, looks like Kansas has the same number as Utah, Big Goose Egg. :evil:

Maybe someday EV Oasis will expand outside of CA, they seem to be doing it right.
http://insideevs.com/first-publicly-available-chargepoint-dc-quick-charger-logs-1000th-charging-session/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now, after almost 10 months of use (November 2012 install), this charger, owned and operated by Evoasis, reached the 1000th charging session, which makes it one of busiest on the West Coast.

No plans, sorry.

I used my CHadeMO port for the 1st time myself today, at a dealer. I had a mixed experience. If the post is tl;dr, just read the next paragraph.

In all the time I spent (running around, waiting, etc.) and the charge time, I probably would've been just as well off going to the free J1772 stations at the Santa Clara Valley Water District (http://www.plugshare.com/?location=7989" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). I have the 6 kW OBC and charging's not that slow using those. I used those a bit afterward and I was car #6 to show up there (out of 7 J1772 handles, in total).

To make a long story short, I was possibly going to have to make an unexpected trip to Union City, CA from south SJ and back, instead of just Milpitas. I only can charge at 120 volts at home and charged to more than enough for the Milpitas trip, but not enough for Union City w/o serious range anxiety or needing to charge on the return leg. So, I figure I may as well top off. I was at ~70% SoC already and know it's not so fast at higher SoC, esp. when really close to full.

First off, I'm thankful that Premier Nissan's DCFC is free for folks to use. But, the experience of total time taken to use it is similar to that of others (at dealers) reported here or another thread. Called dealer about using DCFC and whether there's a line. They say, "sure, come on by. " Arrive @ dealer, have no idea where the DCFC is. After being pointed to around the dealer, I finally locate it, after going too far and hitting a dead end.

Another Leaf's using it but owner is nowhere in sight w/no phone # left on car. I see he's been on for 25 mins and is at ~79% SoC. I go inside the showroom asking around for someone w/the fob. I do locate the owner, tell him about his status and he says he needs a few more mins.

Dealer's Leaf guy supposedly has the fob, but he gave it to the receptionist. We walk out to DCFC (not close to receptionist's desk) and again, can't find the owner. I don't want to interrupt his charge. Another Leaf wanting to use DCFC shows up. After some waiting and hoping owner comes back, receptionist says she has to go back to her post. Owner of 1st Leaf shows up and says I may as well get the fob now.

I scramble around, looking for receptionist. She's not at her desk and I can't find her. I finally locate her and charge.

Another Bay Area Leafer not long ago posted about using the DCFC at Boardwalk (where I leased from). Problem is that there were 5 Leafs behind her in line... I'd hate to show up and be #6.

cwerdna,

Your experience is nearly the same experience I had with Premier Nissan, and its equally just as frustrating. It's one of the reasons that I preferred using the Blink FCs in the Bay Area instead of going to a Nissan dealer for using FC. It's those multiple steps of getting a FC at a dealer--parking, going to a receptionist to ask for a FC, finding the right person that has the key fob to the FC, asking the dealer to move cars blocking the FC, moving the car to the FC, charging, and then (in my case) asking the dealer again to move cars now blocking my car (that has finished FC). All the while, the salesperson with the fob was trying to persuade me to look at other cars on the lot (and "special deals").

Of course Blink FCs were notoriously unreliable, had charged $5/session (and is bankrupt now), but at least I can use the Blink app and find out if they are available (or not), and skip all the bureaucratic hassles of a dealership.

But maybe Blink's bankruptcy and Nissan's infusion of cash to Blink's operations may be a good sign. It would be a very bad thing if Nissan doesn't continue to build on and grow Blink's FC infrastructure, as the vast majority of FC units in the SF Bay Area are Blink units.

My '11 LEAF has now crossed 39.5K miles at nearly 25 months old. As our batteries continue to degrade, we'll need more available FCs that are more easily accessible to make the car more usable. As sales of LEAFs continue to grow at this pace, Nissan can not afford to step in to continue to grow the FC infrastructure.

Part of Nissan's strategy? Let others do the ground work, then swoop in at bankruptcy and get them cheap?

The dealership QC model sure doesn't sound promising.

I look to CA as the EV test bed, but it's not the only one. Most of the CHAdeMO is in Japan. Was that all govt built? How's that working out for them?

The UK seems to be installing QC at a quickening pace, some govt, some private, some on a charity model. It's encouraging to see grocery chains putting them up.

So, with the density of EVs in CA, are you getting installs at stores, coffee shops, fast food, etc? It's a natural fit. I hear there are a lot at Cracker Barrels in TN.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
I hear there are a lot at Cracker Barrels in TN.

I live in TN in the Cracker Barrel QC loop. And it is pretty cool. Most are off to the side so they aren't usually iced, except on busy holidays (don't even imagine you can charge at a Cracker Barrel at noon on Thanksgiving). We have them about every 30 miles along the interstates between Nashville, Knoxville & Chattanooga. None west of Nashville = no love for Memphis.

When I first got my LEAF I would use them at least once a week, now that it costs $5.00 to go from 30% soc to 72% soc, I use them as sparingly as I can (about once a month). I used to eat at the restaurants almost once a week, but no longer. I wonder if a store owner could "Validate your parking" at the charger and you get a reduced charge?

There are 3 free DCQC's still left in TN. One at a Murphy Oil gas station in Chattanooga & one at the Nissan plant in Smyrna & one at the Nissan headquarters in Franklin.

Also, the dealership I purchased my LEAF at, Downtown Nashville Nissan, is supposed to be getting one of Nissan's DCQCs, but they said the amount of red tape through Nissan & Nashville was astounding & don't expect the installation to be finished until mid 2014.

CayenneSJLEAFy said:
Your experience is nearly the same experience I had with Premier Nissan, and its equally just as frustrating. It's one of the reasons that I preferred using the Blink FCs in the Bay Area instead of going to a Nissan dealer for using FC. It's those multiple steps of getting a FC at a dealer--parking, going to a receptionist to ask for a FC, finding the right person that has the key fob to the FC, asking the dealer to move cars blocking the FC, moving the car to the FC, charging, and then (in my case) asking the dealer again to move cars now blocking my car (that has finished FC). All the while, the salesperson with the fob was trying to persuade me to look at other cars on the lot (and "special deals").
I've charged twice at the Premier Nissan QC in San Jose, and haven't had nearly the problems you report. The QC is located right at the west end of the service drive through, and both times I asked one of the service advisers for the fob, and they located it and swiped it for me. One time there was a new car sitting there, plugged in but not charging. The service person told me pull in beside it, ran down the person who had put the new car there, and gave them a lecture.

In my case this is about 20 miles from where we live, so I only need 10 minutes or less for enough to get home. I just sit in the car while it charges. Nobody bothers me.

Ray

I saw online that a Quick Charger at UC Davis opened but now I can't find the article. Does anyone know about this?

Back