2013 Nissan LEAF with a Spare tire and no Trunk space lost!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very neat. But not sure I would like the idea of wing nuts in a location where they can rust. Regular grease will help, but maybe use a copper or zinc grease. Think about what might happen to the upper end of the bolts too - if the nuts slacken at the top and they, and the bolts, end up rotating when you attempt to remove the lower nuts if they are corroded/choked with dirt, then you might not be able to remove the wheel ever again - I suggest you make sure you can reach up through the spokes with a spanner [to stop the top bolts spinning] to make sure this situation couldn't happen.

The top of the carriage bolts are square just below the heads, I pounded them into the trunk floor with a sledge hammer and they turned the round drill holes into square holes, then from underneath I fastened the bolts to the car with stainless Nylon Lock Nuts and washers. The bolts do not spin whatsoever. The wing nuts are stainless as well.

I also posted links that I ordered 2 new 3/8" x 6" Stainless Steel Bolts which should arrive in a few days. I also ordered stainless hinges, so in a couple of weeks everything will be stainless steel.

donald said:
Very neat. But not sure I would like the idea of wing nuts in a location where they can rust. Regular grease will help, but maybe use a copper or zinc grease. Think about what might happen to the upper end of the bolts too - if the nuts slacken at the top and they, and the bolts, end up rotating when you attempt to remove the lower nuts if they are corroded/choked with dirt, then you might not be able to remove the wheel ever again - I suggest you make sure you can reach up through the spokes with a spanner [to stop the top bolts spinning] to make sure this situation couldn't happen.

I have no idea. Do you have a link to what the trailer hook looks like and how it's attached to the car?

toasty said:
would this work, if you have the trailer hitch installed too?

I see that you bought what looks like a standard scissor jack. I have a 2013 SV, and want to know if there is anything in particular I need in the way of a jack. I have the 16" alloy wheels. With no 'indents' for a jack, will I have a problem using one?

This is the one I bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/141021850889" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You should have indentations like this:

leaf_jack_location.jpg

I inserted the slot in the jack between those two arcs.

Sal

LeftieBiker said:
I see that you bought what looks like a standard scissor jack. I have a 2013 SV, and want to know if there is anything in particular I need in the way of a jack. I have the 16" alloy wheels. With no 'indents' for a jack, will I have a problem using one?

This auction has a Nissan Jack that has the tools that look like the same ones that come with the LEAF

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2012-Nissan-Versa-OEM-Jack-07-08-09-10-11-12/141043223508?_trksid=p2047675.m1985&_trkparms=aid%3D444000%26algo%3DSOI.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D13%26meid%3D1067214552558055281%26pid%3D100012%26prg%3D1014%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D141021850889%26" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LeftieBiker said:
Thanks. I'll look into that.

Someone once reported that the Leaf comes standard with a spare and jack in Australia. I wonder if we could just get the part numbers and order a factory kit.

They are listed here on the forum but the cost is ridiculous, it's like $225 for just the Jack!, the Versa or Altima jack for $45 shipped works a lot better for me.

reeler said:
Someone once reported that the Leaf comes standard with a spare and jack in Australia. I wonder if we could just get the part numbers and order a factory kit.

The Nissan Altima 2002-2006 spare wheel (rim) part number from any USA Nissan dealership:
40300-L31010. Should be 66.1mm center hub diameter.
$184 new or $5 - $20 at a wrecking yard.

Jack: 99550-L31001
$33.08

Lug wrench: 99545
$7.15

The official Nissan spare tire for the LEAF is a T125/90D16 98M. The Jeep Grand Cherokee uses that tire, for instance.

The wheel (rim) part number is 403001ya7a that can be ordered from a Nissan dealership outside the USA. Good luck finding one. Price is big.

The jack part number is 99550-3ND0B and sells for UK £233.00 ($357 plus VAT and shipping and import duties). See above price of Altima jack in comparison.

The tool kit 99501-4J800 and sells for UK £113.00 ($173 plus shipping and government fees/taxes). You already have a lug wrench in a USA spec'd LEAF, so you shouldn't need this.

Sometimes the bolt pattern may be in English measure, which is 5x4.5 inches, or 5x114.3 mm. Also, Infiniti is a Nissan product, so the Infiniti J30 wheel may fit, for instance.

Here is the jack installed in its proper location in the LEAF:

669299a0.jpg

Jeep Cherokee/Comanche series (all years) and 1993-1998 Grand Cherokees have the right bolt pattern so a Jeep compact spare will fit in place of the rear wheels on a LEAF. If the rear brake pads on the LEAF are sufficiently worn, the Jeep Cherokee compact spare wheel will clear the caliper. Otherwise, it will lightly rub on the caliper unless a spacer is used. Due to the larger calipers, the Jeep Cherokee wheel will not fit on the front of the LEAF. The 1999 and later Grand Cherokees have a larger bolt circle so wheels from them will not fit the LEAF.

Gerry

Tony, I fixed it for you. The 2013 does not have the clips anymore. That's why I used a heavy canvas bag to hold my Jack and tools.

TonyWilliams said:
Here is the jack installed in its proper location in the 2011 & 2012 LEAF:

669299a0.jpg

TonyWilliams said:
The official Nissan spare tire for the LEAF is a T125/90D16 98M. The Jeep Grand Cherokee uses that tire, for instance.

I don't think this official Leaf spare is for the 2013 SL with the 17" wheels. That size comes out to a diameter of 24.85" which is 0.64" smaller in diameter than the tires on the 17" wheels.

The 2nd spare I bought arrived today. it is T135/90/16 which comes out to 25.5", In the next few days I am going to try it out and see if it fits and clears everything.

Now I'm seeing that it's the same as the Altima spare through 2010, and also that it's the same as 2002-2006. Which is it, or both? What we need is a list of Nissan cars we can use the spare, jack and tools from. I'm guessing it's just the Altima and Versa, but what years - for sure, for each model?

What you need all depends on what tires you currently have. Do you have 16" wheels or 17"?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

205/55/R16 - The Ecopia's have a diameter of 24.87"

Tony Williams Spare is T125/90D16 = 24.85"

The Spare Tony Williams talks about is clearly made for the Ecopia's

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

215/50/R17 - The 17" Michelin's have a diameter of 25.46"

The spare I just bought is for a 2010 to 2012 Altima, it is T135/90/R16 which = 25.56"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400391100055?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's the calculator I used:

http://www.pepboys.com/tires/treadsmart/calculating_overall_tire_diameter/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LeftieBiker said:
Now I'm seeing that it's the same as the Altima spare through 2010, and also that it's the same as 2002-2006. Which is it, or both? What we need is a list of Nissan cars we can use the spare, jack and tools from. I'm guessing it's just the Altima and Versa, but what years - for sure, for each model?

LeftieBiker said:

No, it wouldn't be a Versa wheel with only four bolts per wheel. Maybe the jack and lug wrench.

What you need all depends on what tires you currently have. Do you have 16" wheels or 17"?

Good point. as I posted earlier, I have the 16" alloy wheels. So it has to be an Altima spare (2002-2006?), it can be a Versa or Altima Jack, and we don't know yet about the tools. If someone were to compile a small chart with what works with each wheel set (xx"steel, 16" alloy, 17" alloy) that would be very helpful.

Back