hypermiling procedures

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babynuke

For those that have done it, would you please provide a complete list of do's and don't for hypermiling?
I have gleaned a lot of info from various posts, but it would be helpful to have a comprehensive list.
If there is a list already please direct me to it. I did do a search of both the forum and the wiki and did not find one.
Thanks!
Ty
2013 S arriving mid-September

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5508" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nubo said:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5508

Babynuke, I will add one important thing to this guide that will stretch your miles even farther: If you can, avoid freeways/interstates and drive on city streets. If you can and they aren't very busy like where I drive, then when you are a quarter to a half mile from a light or a stopsign, throw your shifter into Reverse (7mph or faster puts it into Neutral) and coast. If your timing is off (I watch the crosswalk flashers) and you have to slow down, use B mode so u don't have to use your friction brakes. Make sure when u r driving in the city to keep it in ECO B. Some posters may tell you to just feather the pedal for neutral, but you will see how difficult that is to hold it in neutral for any distance. If you follow Stoaty's recommendations and mine, you will see a huge increase to your miles and m/kW h. I've been using various hypermiling techniques since 1981. If you have any questions for me, you can send me a PM.

Thank you for the link and advice.
I am looking forward to see how much I may need to change my driving. Speed is going to be the big thing for me. I don't like driving under the limit. Most of the other techniques, I use some variation now with my ICE vehicle and always get 2 to 3 mpg better than the EPA ratings.
Ty

The other aspect to maximum driving efficiency is choice-of-route. When I plan a Google maps route I look first at shortest distance, not the estimate of shortest time. Of course, some shortest-distance routes are unworkable for various reasons but often the shortest route gives you the maximum effective range for your trip.

The other choice-of-route factor involves significant climbs. The two things that really drain battery fast are speeds over 70 mph and steep climbs - unfortunately both are very common on the interstate near us. When looking for a maximum-range route I will intentionally avoid unnecessary hills or, alternatively, plan routes that have gentler climbs.

Finally, unless you really like hypermiling all the time don't feel that you have to. It is very good to know hypermiling techniques as they can come in handy in lots of situations where you need maximum range, but it's also fun to put the LEAF in D mode and drive it without worrying about maximizing your miles/kWh.

Edmunds has a good article about hypermiling http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/hypermiling-quest-for-ultimate-fuel-economy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, there are some great youtube videos specific to Prius, allot of the techniques would work for leaf.

Main difference i have noticed is with Prius you could roll along for a bit, with leaf in eco it slows down way faster.

Back