How To: Reverse Backup Camera for SV Model w/ OEM Telematics

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Skyffej said:
ELROY said:
I already have the SL, but since you are very technically deep in this system, I was wondering if there is anyway to turn the camera on when you are not in reverse? Kind of like the Tesla S can use it as a supplementary rear view camera when driving forward.

I would image this is possible with an extra switch installed that would supply 12 volts to the back up sense line thus making the nav display think it was in reverse.

You can actually go in the diagnostic screen and make the camera stay on when driving, but it then has all those icon/buttons blocking the view.

Compdoc777 said:
I have the 2013 SL and it does not have the camera. I wonder if this is an option for the 2013?

Yes, you can install a back up camera into your 2013 SL with out the stock back up camera, I did it on mine with a aftermarket camera and bought the stock handle to get the right "bump" for mounting, and then hooked wires in the c pillar in the back on the drivers side which already has wiring into the nav unit.

Compdoc777 said:
then hooked wires in the c pillar in the back on the drivers side which already has wiring into the nav unit.

Do you have the map for the wires in the C Pillar so I don't have to pull out the Nav just to probe for them? Bet I still have to ground the camera trigger, since that is most certainly not extended to the C Pillar harness.

RePo said:
Compdoc777 said:
then hooked wires in the c pillar in the back on the drivers side which already has wiring into the nav unit.

Do you have the map for the wires in the C Pillar so I don't have to pull out the Nav just to probe for them? Bet I still have to ground the camera trigger, since that is most certainly not extended to the C Pillar harness.
Pull the cover off and look at the larger white connector:

c%20piller%20cover%20removed.JPG

There should be 5 more wires coming up from the body than wires exiting the connector going to the hatch. Pin 11 in that connector should have a black wire in it on the lower side and nothing on the upper side. Grounding that pin should let the AV control unit go into camera mode when you shift to reverse. Everything should be there and if you buy the proper harnesses and camera parts for an "S" trim car with the backup camera it should be almost plug and play.

Compdoc777 said:
I have the 2013 SL and it does not have the camera. I wonder if this is an option for the 2013?

Same with mine, the 2013 SL needs the $1050 Bose/4-way camera option that my dealer had no idea existed and that's why mine is missing the camera.

This site shows #14 as the camera for $125 to $150 & #12 as the Handle with the opening for the camera for $29

http://www.nissanpartsdiscounts.com/parts-catalog/nissan/leaf/2013/sl/electric/body-hardware/gate-and-hardware" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Little off topic, but that's really messed up that you can buy a 2013 SL, and not get a rear view camera unless you get the Premium package. Really surprised.

The salesman at Nissan was surprised too.

He kept saying I don't understand, with the 2012's we would order the SL and get the rear camera.

He's the one who told us after he did some research.

But the good news is that with this thread I can install the camera in a 2013 for only around $200, much better than $1050. But Do I really need it?, I lived in NJ and NYC for years and I know how to parallel park.

lion said:
Little off topic, but that's really messed up that you can buy a 2013 SL, and not get a rear view camera unless you get the Premium package. Really surprised.

Lasareath said:
The salesman at Nissan was surprised too.

He kept saying I don't understand, with the 2012's we would order the SL and get the rear camera.

He's the one who told us after he did some research.

But the good news is that with this thread I can install the camera in a 2013 for only around $200, much better than $1050. But Do I really need it?, I lived in NJ and NYC for years and I know how to parallel park.

lion said:
I put it in on my '13 S and I'm glad I did. The little hash marks are really helpful.

So I've read through the entire post and I'm still trying to figure out if anyone has done this successfully on a 2013 SV with the OEM style parts. I'd like to do this mod, but I'd rather not run into any surprises along the way, so if anyone can provide a step-by-step of the installation process for the 2013 SV (or just a list of differences from the other notes) it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

thankyouOB said:
the camera is boss. i thought it was a useless geegaw, but now i wouldnt buy a car without one.

+1

Same here. Didn't think I needed it until I had it :) As you say, I don't want a car without one now. The decent size Nav screen in the LEAF makes this a very useful feature.

Lasareath said:
I lived in NJ and NYC for years and I know how to parallel park.

I find it very useful for parallel parking, not for the maneuver, but to know I am just an inch away from the vehicle behind. Saves having to 'nudge' the car behind. Then you can pull forward with maximum distance in front to straighten it out. Once you've had one of these things, you'll always want it. Just like broadband :)

jelloslug said:
Skyffej said:
jelloslug said:
Where are you trying to hook it up at? Have you removed the trim panel at the drivers side "C" pillar? To get it to go into reverse camera mode you have to ground the camera enable wire.

I am powering it directly off a shop supply at 6.2volts
and then running wires up to pins 40 and 60 on the nav head (I already have pin 58 grounded to get the back up to display in R)

Note: doing the same thing with my NON oem camera I get picture just fine but trying to hook up the OEM camera Part # 28442-3NH0B I get a black screen with only guide lines. aka NO Video from the camera.

So I am trying to figure out what's up and verify what color wire is what.

According to the service manual 6 volts is correct. I believe that white and red are the power and black and yellow are the video signal. One thing: I used camera P/N 28442-3NH0A.

Hi, jelloslug
I came across the same problem as Skyffej, I ordered the OEM camera P/N 28442-3NH0A, and tried to hook the wires directly to the nav head, I cannot get any image except a black screen with guide lines when I put in reverse. (I think I correctly ground pin 58)
Do you know which color of these 4 wires is which?

red (power +) ?
black (video -) ?
yellow (video +) ?
white (power -) ?

Should it be supposed to work if I hook the two video wires into pin 40, 60, and two power wires to 39, 59 ?

ruradium said:
Hi, jelloslug
I came across the same problem as Skyffej, I ordered the OEM camera P/N 28442-3NH0A, and tried to hook the wires directly to the nav head, I cannot get any image except a black screen with guide lines when I put in reverse. (I think I correctly ground pin 58)

red (power +) ?
black (video -) ?
yellow (video +) ?
white (power -) ?

Should it be supposed to work if I hook the two video wires into pin 40, 60, and two power wires to 39, 59 ?
According to the service manual:

39-- Red (camera V+)
40-- Red (camera signal +)
58-- Black (reverse enable ground)
59-- White (camera V-)
60-- Shield (camera signal -)

jelloslug said:
ruradium said:
Hi, jelloslug

red (power +) ?
black (video -) ?
yellow (video +) ?
white (power -) ?

39-- Red (camera V+)
59-- White (camera V-)

Do you know which wire is which from the camera ? I`ve got 4 wires from camera P/N 28442-3NH0A, red, black, yellow, white, I don`t know how to hook them up.

ruradium said:
jelloslug said:
ruradium said:
Hi, jelloslug

red (power +) ?
black (video -) ?
yellow (video +) ?
white (power -) ?

39-- Red (camera V+)
59-- White (camera V-)

Do you know which wire is which from the camera ? I`ve got 4 wires from camera P/N 28442-3NH0A, red, black, yellow, white, I don`t know how to hook them up.

1-----Red (camera V+)
2-----White (camera V-)
3-----Black (camera signal +)
4-----Shield (camera signal -)

******all of the above was for getting ready to install an oem camera.....

Okay so I ordered a OEM camera two listed I picked the one that said it works with the SL
I assume that both would work with probably just different connectors ???
I got it the other day and there are four wires in an eight position connector (the other positions are blank)
Black
red
White
Yellow

Any idea on what goes to what ? (power input, signal out etc....)
Also can some one confirm that the camera only use 6.2volts for input power ?

I tired connecting it up but can't get an image on the Nav unit, keep in Mind I CAN get an image on the nav unit using a non OEM camera ! ***this is driving me nuts*****
either I got a bad OEM camera or I broke it trying to connect it up...... OR I am not connecting up the right pins to the right thing

I have two wires running all the way to the nav unit pins (40 camera input video) and 60 camera shield for video
If I connect my non oem camera to those wires I get a picture just fine
if I connect the oem camera I get nothing but black, I think I have tired all different combinations

Any body out there done this on a 2013 SL without the Premium package ?
ANy help would be great ..........

Hi, Skyffej
Did you solve this problem? I cannot make the OEM camera work either.

ruradium said:

Okay so I ordered a OEM camera two listed I picked the one that said it works with the SL
I got it the other day and there are four wires in an eight position connector (the other positions are blank)
Black
red
White
Yellow

I tired connecting it up but can't get an image on the Nav unit, keep in Mind I CAN get an image on the nav unit using a non OEM camera ! ***this is driving me nuts*****
either I got a bad OEM camera or I broke it trying to connect it up...... OR I am not connecting up the right pins to the right thing

I have two wires running all the way to the nav unit pins (40 camera input video) and 60 camera shield for video
if I connect the oem camera I get nothing but black, I think I have tired all different combinations

Hi, Skyffej
Is the camera getting power?

jelloslug said:
ruradium said:

Black
red
White
Yellow

Hi, Skyffej
Is the camera getting power?

I tested, there is about 6.2 volt between the power lines, I assumed it is. (I hook the power lines of the camera to pin 39, 59)

Back