Offcial Honda Fit EV Thread (lease only)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mkjayakumar said:
Is Fit available in Texas, or is this a CARB thing for CA only ?
I don't expect Honda to sell more than the ~1,100 Fit EVs needed to meet CARB requirements. And not outside of CARB compliant states. There is no economic incentive at current price/demand. If I were you, I would be watching Spark EV as most likely conversion to sell beyond CARB territory. I don't think you will see a Honda BEV in general distribution until battery capacity/density goes up >50%, price drops in half, and QC fight is settled.

jhm614 said:
mkjayakumar said:
Is Fit available in Texas, or is this a CARB thing for CA only ?

It's CARB but not CA only, it's available in some of the CARB states as well. It's not available in TX.

Currently CARB states are California, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, NewYork, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington.

Credits between states can be exchanged at 50% value, if I understand the scheme correctly.

mwalsh said:
^ Pedantic hat on: ARB states. The "C" in CARB means CA. ;)

"CARB states" in this context means states whose pollution control mandates follow that of California, and not that of the less-demanding Federal standard. Obviously California follows it, since it invented it. So Tony's usage of the acronym is correct.

Per its Wikipedia entry, CARB is an anomaly in the regulatory world, since the Federal Clean Air Act apparently prohibits states from coming up with their own standards. CARB was exempted because it was created before the Clean Air Act came up with its own vehicle pollution standards.

mwalsh said:
^ Yes, I see the context now you've pointed it out to me.

Dang. I was going to suggest that we go with SOTCTHATCZG*.

*States other than California that have adopted the CARB ZEV Guidelines

When Texas becomes a CARB state, hell will freeze over? rather the polar icecaps would have melted and Dallas will be a thriving gulf coast city.

Texas doesn't need to be a CARB state, Texas will however pay $2,500 to assist in the purchasing of an Electric, LPG or CNG vehicle. http://legiscan.com/TX/text/SB1727/id/857706" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; beginning September 1, 2013.

There is even this old statute http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/GV/htm/GV.2158.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sec. 2158.005. PERCENTAGE REQUIREMENTS FOR VEHICLES USING ALTERNATIVE FUELS. (a) Not later than September 30, 2010, a state agency that operates a fleet of more than 15 motor vehicles, excluding law enforcement and emergency vehicles, shall have a fleet consisting of vehicles of which at least 50 percent use compressed natural gas, liquefied natural gas, liquefied petroleum gas, methanol or methanol/gasoline blends of 85 percent or greater, ethanol or ethanol/gasoline blends of 85 percent or greater, biodiesel or biodiesel/diesel blends of 20 percent or greater, or electricity, including electricity to power a plug-in hybrid motor vehicle.

It might be enlightening to count Texas government purchases of say GM Volts or Tennessee LEAFs compared to their peers in the rest of USA.

TX government agencies can easily meet that requirement without purchasing a single EV. E-85 and natural gas powered vehicles being included make it easy for them to do so.

So I've had the Fit EV for a week now and put about 360 miles on it. So far it's been fantastic. I'm averaging 5.1 M/kWh, driving mixed highway and hilly 45 mph route to and from work. I use the Econ and Normal settings mostly. The Sport setting is a hoot, but really sucks down the juice. It's very peppy in Normal, a bit sluggish in Econ, as you would imagine. A great setting, though, is B on the selector. That increases the regen a lot. It's supposed to be mostly for going down steep hills, but as others have pointed out, you can use it around town and you rarely have to use the brake. So I'm getting used to one pedal driving. In this setting it's really efficient. I haven't received my home charger from Leviton yet, but so far, with a charging station at work, I can make the round trip easily. And so far my total cost for electricity has been $0.

Drew

Saw my first HFE in the wild yesterday. While I think the wide chrome strip around the grill looks a bit tacky, when seeing it from the front it does make it easy to distinguish from a gas Fit.

Closing in on 1500 miles in the Fit EV and still averaging 5.1m/kWh. I rarely drive at night (no LED headlights - ouch!)and haven't been using A/C much, but still pretty impressive. I received my free charger from Leviton and am having a local electrician install it; so far I've been using the free chargers in my town and at work, mostly doing a 70 mile, hilly and highway round trip on one charge. No complaints; it's been a joy to drive.

Drew

Fitdash.jpg

dtomko said:
Closing in on 1500 miles in the Fit EV and still averaging 5.1m/kWh. I rarely drive at night (no LED headlights - ouch!)
I don't know if that deserves an "ouch." A pair of 55W low beams isn't going to change your mileage by more than 0.1m/kWh. That's 110 watts on top of a 10KW (ish) burn in the traction motor.

Good to know. I don't have enough experience at night to do a comparison, but the headlights alone light up two lines on the Accessories meter.

lease-only option puts off many buyers. you pay and pay and pay for years, and you end up with nothing.

not a marketing ploy that appeals to me. i prefer choice. you wanna lease, you do. you dont, you dont have to.
ditto for the battery.

dtomko said:
Good to know. I don't have enough experience at night to do a comparison, but the headlights alone light up two lines on the Accessories meter.
I used my Leaf to illuminate a work site when night fell on us unexpectedly. I left it in the parking lot facing the work site with the high beams on for about 3 hours. The SOC went down 4% in that time.

thankyouOB said:
lease-only option puts off many buyers. you pay and pay and pay for years, and you end up with nothing.

not a marketing ploy that appeals to me. i prefer choice. you wanna lease, you do. you dont, you dont have to.
ditto for the battery.
The new lease price is very good though. Probably a substantial loss for Honda. It's enough to make me think of visiting a dealer for a test drive.

Back