GPS map updates

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed that it was (briefly) back in stock last week, so I ordered one. They give me a tracking number, but Fedex shows it as "label info received" as of yesterday, but no package yet in their system. Wonder if this version is really fixed. I'll let you know if/when I receive it and install it.

-Michael

I'll be more interested to hear if there are actually any data updates on it of value... Based on the reports from some 2013 model owners who had 2011s previously, it seems doubtful... My experience with auto navs in the past (this is my fourth) has been that there is not much point in updating more frequently than every fours years or so due to the long periods between updates and the lag in the updating and release of their production database... You would think that they would have taken a pointer from folks like Garmin by now but this is clearly not the case... Tesla is the only one who has got it right so far.

LittleChap said:
I noticed that it was (briefly) back in stock last week, so I ordered one. They give me a tracking number, but Fedex shows it as "label info received" as of yesterday, but no package yet in their system. Wonder if this version is really fixed. I'll let you know if/when I receive it and install it.

-Michael

I got a call from Navteq (now Nokia) asking if I would be willing to try out a new SD card and report back. I had received two earlier and neither worked. They sent it overnight, I installed it, and it works fine. One interesting question they asked was whether the two I had received previously were shrink wrapped when they arrived, and I think they were. My guess is that they hadn't been customized at all with my nav system info.

TomT said:
I'll be more interested to hear if there are actually any data updates on it of value... Based on the reports from some 2013 model owners who had 2011s previously, it seems doubtful... My experience with auto navs in the past (this is my fourth) has been that there is not much point in updating more frequently than every fours years or so due to the long periods between updates and the lag in the updating and release of their production database... You would think that they would have taken a pointer from folks like Garmin by now but this is clearly not the case... Tesla is the only one who has got it right so far.

]

Be even nicer if they'd do like Waze and allow NAvteq drivers to update the maps :)

There is one destination I travel to where the nav used to tell me route guidance would end and now it knows about the street. I haven't noticed any other changes yet.

rslatkin said:
There is one destination I travel to where the nav used to tell me route guidance would end and now it knows about the street. I haven't noticed any other changes yet.

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully it's worth it, we have several road changes where I live that really need to be on the map. I'll have to see if it is in stock or not.

JP

rslatkin said:
Any idea what the data date is for the update?
Any idea when the street that didn't show up previously was added / modified?
They extended Volkswagen Drive to connect with Apison Pike about 1/2 mile from my house six months back, and I'd like the Navigation computer to show it, but don't want to buy an old update.
I finally took a chance on my 2009 Altima and bought the end of the year discounted 2011 disc for it, but didn't see much improvement. Appears difficult to get a date of when the updates were done.

Nissan officially claims updates are done every 12-18 months. But the map on my 2012 Leaf (when I bought it in June 2012) was already 18 - 24 months out of date (a major interstate extension is missing). I imagine the new map will already be 6 - 12 months out of date now that it has been delayed for 3-4 months.

Contrast this with Garmin giving 4 updates per year for life, as part of the purchase price. And Garmin will tell you the speed limit on pretty much all streets and roads, unlike the Leaf GPS which only does that for major highways. The one extra feature the Leaf has is to let me know the locations of potential charging stations (not that many in the Twin Cities area).

gossett said:
Contrast this with Garmin giving 4 updates per year for life, as part of the purchase price. And Garmin will tell you the speed limit on pretty much all streets and roads, unlike the Leaf GPS which only does that for major highways. The one extra feature the Leaf has is to let me know the locations of potential charging stations (not that many in the Twin Cities area).

The LEAF GPS doesn't do traffic that I'm aware of, the traffic is a Sirius service right. and is integrated into the Nav system.

The database seems to run about 5 years behind the actual street info.

JPWhite said:
Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully it's worth it, we have several road changes where I live that really need to be on the map. I'll have to see if it is in stock or not.

No, all of the traffic systems have to have some form of connectivity to download the traffic data, be it SiriusXM Satellite, commercial FM broadcast, or cell connectivity... The Leaf is XM.

JPWhite said:
The LEAF GPS doesn't do traffic that I'm aware of, the traffic is a Sirius service right. and is integrated into the Nav system.

TomT said:
No, all of the traffic systems have to have some form of connectivity to download the traffic data, be it SiriusXM Satellite, commercial FM broadcast, or cell connectivity... The Leaf is XM.

JPWhite said:

I think my point is to get traffic you have to pay Sirius for the data feed (and traffic is only available on their premium plans). It's not Navteq the makers of the map or navhead.

JPWhite said:

I can live without the live traffic data, but I do find it helpful at times to see the current location's speed limit displayed on on the Garmin GPS.

Yes, it is the same (either Sirius or XM) with all the auto manufacturers other than Tesla as far as I know...

JPWhite said:
I think my point is to get traffic you have to pay Sirius for the data feed (and traffic is only available on their premium plans). It's not Navteq the makers of the map or navhead.

Cheaper to buy a dedicated GPS unit with lifetime maps and trafffic. Got a 5" one last Christmas for $69 and no monthly payments.

Anfd for the amount of long distance traveling we will be doing on a Leaf, better to have a unit you can put on another car!

TimeHorse said:
JPWhite said:

If you dig around, you can reduce the cost for traffic substantially: http://www.siriusxm.com/servlet/Sat...ontent&cid=1282009830228&pagename=SXM/Wrapper

I have since moved over to Waze for all my navigation needs; since it routes dynamically based on live traffic and lets me know the mileage for each route chosen. Came a different way home this evening due to heavy traffic in the city where I live. Waze also warns you of red light cameras, speed traps and so on.

I only recently have tried out Waze and I have mixed feelings (aside from using my iPhone 5 being way less convenient than the nav system being built into my Prius).

Some of the routes that it suggested were way whacky and not a good idea. It had nothing to do w/traffic and would've taken my thru some residential areas (w/lower speed limits and a roundabout route) instead of a road that runs adjacent to the residential areas.

I do like how it warns of upcoming stopped cars on the shoulder.

The problem with Waze is that it is crowd sourced and thus the quality and quantity of data can vary widely... I've actually found that Google Traffic generally does a better job in the areas where I typically drive...

JPWhite said:
I have since moved over to Waze for all my navigation needs; since it routes dynamically based on live traffic and lets me know the mileage for each route chosen. Came a different way home this evening due to heavy traffic in the city where I live. Waze also warns you of red light cameras, speed traps and so on.

TomT said:
The problem with Warz is that it is crowd sourced and thus the quality and quantity of data can vary widely... I've actually found that Google Traffic generally does a better job in the areas where I typically drive...

The crowd sourced data is a double edged sword, it both its greatest strength and greatest weakness. Abused waze will be as worthless as CB Radio, respected it will be as powerful and as up to date/accepted as Wikipedia.

The traffic data that Google has is crowd sourced as well BTW. Both systems use their own users to feed the beast. The biggest difference comes in that Waze allows its users to modify the maps to reflect road changes etc. A bad editor can 'break' a map in a locale resulting in the 'wacky' routes you refer to. If I see something I odd I simply fix it.

Using Google maps I determined my best route home after taking a new job. pretty proud of the route I developed over several weeks of trial and error, avoiding traffic 80% of the way. Averaged 1 hr in each direction. With Waze even though I dislike the routes it chooses, (taking me directly through notorious and congestion sections of interstate in the Nashville Downtown loop) the results speak for themselves, I average 45 minutes in each direction. I select shortest route in the morning when traffic is light to save electric, and choose fastest route home in the evening. Interestingly fuel economy is only marginally worse despite a much higher % time spent on the interstate.

The Navteq system built into the LEAF has superior turn directions, its a polished product, however lack of traffic data for ALL roads, not just the highways is its Achilles heel for the commuter.

Back