Automatic Door Lock changes

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smkettner

As I was in to get my 24 month battery check, I requested the dealer change my 2011 LEAF to unlock the doors when the Park button is pressed. I expected no other changes and stated so.

OK so the doors unlock when Park is pressed but...

As I then put it back in D and drive off the doors do not relock. I am thinking they should, is that possible?
Also the doors no longer unlock if I stop and just turn the LEAF off. This function has stopped, can it remain?

The doors do still lock when LEAF is initially started and rolling about 15 mph. At least that still works.

Can I get this to work as I want or do I just have it reset back to original?

Sorry, that's the way it works. It either unlocks when you press Park, or when you power off, you can't have both. Terrible design, in my opinion. I changed mine(*) so it doesn't lock automatically. That took care of the Park problem 95% of the time. The other 5% of the time is the occasional panic feeling my wife gets when riding with me. If she locks the doors manually, and then wants to get out of the car without me powering it off, that's her problem.

Ray

* And, yes, you can disable or re-enable either auto-lock or auto-unlock yourself by powering up, and then (within 20 seconds) holding down the appropriate side of the button until the hazard lights flash. You can't make the Park-vs-Power change yourself.

Thanks for the comments. This is just not going to work the way I expect it should :(

I think I am just going to disable the whole lock thing. Since I am manually involved so much with "automatic" then it may as well be full manual. This is my first real dissapointment in the LEAF in that it could have easily been designed to operate as expected with a few more program options.

You can do what you describe but the changes have to be made by the dealer (via the CONSULT platform). I had a similar issue when I first got my Leaf and it took us about a half-hour to get the right combination of lock/unlock (you set one and it disrupts the other--but eventually you can have it just the way you want it), BUT you only get to choose one TYPE of lock/unlock.

For the record I:
1) unlock @ power off
2) lock when I shift out of Park

Stanton said:
For the record I:
1) unlock @ power off
2) lock when I shift out of Park
Can anyone summarize the different locking/unlocking options available? It would be nice to know all the choices, divided into 4 categories:

1) factory default for the three model years to date
2) changes owners can make themselves (using the 20 second button-holding Ray mentions)
3) changes which must be made by a dealer (using Consult)
4) things only Phil knows how to do :)

Thanks!

Glenn said:
Can anyone summarize the different locking/unlocking options available? It would be nice to know all the choices, divided into 4 categories:

1) factory default for the three model years to date
2) changes owners can make themselves (using the 20 second button-holding Ray mentions)
3) changes which must be made by a dealer (using Consult)
4) things only Phil knows how to do :)

Sort of. First, please refer to the existing MNL short thread on topic at: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=5466&start=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For part of the specifics, see Ingineer's post in that thread, copied here: http://evseupgrade.com/pic/?leaf-auto-lock1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. This also explains what you can do (not much) and what requires CONSULT (everything else).

These come from the service manuals and have been very helpful. I've also summarized the 6 modes for unlocking alone in that same thread extracted from the 2012 manual, copied here:

...there are actually 6 modes for the unlock function alone. Modes 5 and 6 are for future use, and:

• MODE1: All doors are unlocked when the power supply position is changed from ON to OFF (factory default)
• MODE2: All doors are unlocked when shifting the selector lever from any position other than P to P position
• MODE3: Driver side door is unlocked when the power supply position is changed from ON to OFF
• MODE4: Driver side door is unlocked when shifting the selector lever from any position other than the P to P position

My guess is that anything not in the above fits into your 4th category of stuff only Phil can do.

Don't know if it was clear, but the only thing you can do WITHOUT the CONSULT tool is turn the whole auto lock/unlock function "on" or "off" (enable/disable); all the combinations thereof require a trip to dealer (and a nice tech with some time to spare).

Further information about door lock/unlock options using CONSULT III plus:

As indicated above, there are 4 active modes under "Automatic Door Unlock Select". However, there is a "gotcha" using Mode 2 - doors unlock when shifting into 'park'. There is an interaction between mode 2 and the "Automatic Door Lock Select" mode.

There are 2 "Automatic Door Lock Select" modes: VHSPD, and P RANGE.

In lock mode 2 and unlock mode VHSPD, the doors will unlock when you go into park, but they will not lock again until a door is opened and then closed. They will then lock when the car gets above 20mph. If no door is opened and closed after going into park, they will not lock when the car gets above 20mph.

In Lock mode 2 and unlock mode P RANGE, the doors will unlock when you go into park, and lock immediately when you shift out of park. This is the mode I had the tech set in my car. It does just what I want.

The certified Leaf mechanic at the dealership had never heard of this, and said no one had ever asked about it before. It took him an hour to figure out all the permutations and interactions. The salesman originally wanted to split the cost of reprogramming with me, but I argued that this should be an option that was available to the driver, or at least explained at the time of lease/purchase. After some consulting with the service manager, he agreed to pay for the reprogramming.

Back