Security indicator light blinks even when car is unarmed????

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Volusiano

I started noticing today that my security indicator light (page 2-34 of manual, red car icon with key pic inside) is always blinking every 3 seconds now, even when my car is unlocked and turned off, sitting inside my garage, regardless of whether the key fob is nearby or not. I never notice this behavior before when the car was unlocked and turned off. I can understand it blinking if the car is locked. But in this case the car is off and unlocked.

Does anybody else see the same thing in their car?

Volusiano said:
I started noticing today that my security indicator light (page 2-34 of manual, red car icon with key pic inside) is always blinking every 3 seconds now, even when my car is unlocked and turned off, sitting inside my garage, regardless of whether the key fob is nearby or not. I never notice this behavior before when the car was unlocked and turned off. I can understand it blinking if the car is locked. But in this case the car is off and unlocked.

It's always blinked in my car when the vehicle is turned completely off. My Subaru did the same thing, regardless of if the doors were locked or not...

OK, thanks for your inputs. I feel much better now that yours blink, too, even when the car is unlocked. I could have sworn, however, that mine never blink before while the car is unlocked, until today.

In my Lexus LS400, the security light only blinks after the car is armed.

In reading page 2-36 of the Leaf manual, it says "The light blinks after the power switch was in the ACC or OFF position. This function indicates the security systems equipped on the vehicle are operational."

But it stops short of clarifying whether it should blink when the car is not armed.

Volusiano said:
I started noticing today that my security indicator light (page 2-34 of manual, red car icon with key pic inside) is always blinking every 3 seconds now, even when my car is unlocked and turned off, sitting inside my garage, regardless of whether the key fob is nearby or not.[..]
Same here.

I believe the idea is that the security system consists of more than just a lock/unlock and alarm function. It also consists of a passive immobilizer, as demonstrated by the fact that the car can not be turned on without the key fob nearby. The function light is also showing that this system is operative.

johnr said:
Yeah, mine too. I fail to see the point of it, but at least it doesn't hurt anyone. LOL

My wife just ran an errand in the car and it started doing this when she returned home today, but it started beeping at her as well. It never did this previously either. It seems that it will beep continuously for a couple of minutes and when trying to diagnosis this by turning the car on/off a couple of times -- some weird side effects happened: Radio spontaneously turned on one time and the homelink for the garage door activated.

Guess I'll either be doing a cold boot of my car tomorrow or going by the shop for a system diagnostic.

I noticed this in my 2013 SL today: all doors closed, vehicle locked in parking garage, a red security indicator light (red car icon with image of a key inside) is blinking every n seconds. What does this mean? Is something wrong with the car?

Arvind said:
I noticed this in my 2013 SL today: all doors closed, vehicle locked in parking garage, a red security indicator light (red car icon with image of a key inside) is blinking every n seconds. What does this mean? Is something wrong with the car?
Nothing wrong with your car. The blinking icon means your security system is functioning normally. If that icon lights steady when the car is ON, there is a fault. Page 2-21 of your owner's manual.

ebill3 said:
Arvind said:
Nothing wrong with your car. The blinking icon means your security system is functioning normally. If that icon lights steady when the car is ON, there is a fault. Page 2-21 of your owner's manual.
Just in case it's not on page 2-21 in your manual (it's on page 2-20 in my 2011 manual), try searching for "security indicator light".

Back