GPS map updates

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Considering how stale the data always is and how much of it is actually updated from release to release, I've never found it worthwhile to update a car more often than every four years or so...

LEAFguy said:
JeremyW said:
Is there actually a map update available to 11/12s? Has anyone gotten it?
Jeremy - the map update is available for $179 from here:

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NissanNorthAmerica-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewStandardCatalog-Browse?CatalogCategoryID=iM8KCghB9t4AAAEuFBFDJP3i&ShowAllProducts=YES&PersistNavigationMenu=YES" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Usually these updates come out in the fall. Often you can pick up a new SD card in the spring for $99. Hope that helps!

The Nav in my 2010 Prius has a Region overview map where
it colors in the "full-coverage" areas, giving you a reasonable
indication of what areas are NOT well covered.

Is there any such "what-is-not-covered" info available for
the LEAF Nav system data, original or the update?

Is there any indication of how many points of interest
are included?

Approximate Ratings (assuming the data is current):
1 million = poor, 3 or 4 million = fair, 7 million = good,
10 million = better, 14 million = best.

One rather insert appropriate adjective here aspect of the LEAF Sat Nav is that the points of interest, especially on the motorway, include which off sites include Petrol. :roll:

garygid said:
The Nav in my 2010 Prius has a Region overview map where
it colors in the "full-coverage" areas, giving you a reasonable
indication of what areas are NOT well covered.

Is there any such "what-is-not-covered" info available for
the LEAF Nav system data, original or the update?

Is there any indication of how many points of interest
are included?

Approximate Ratings (assuming the data is current):
1 million = poor, 3 or 4 million = fair, 7 million = good,
10 million = better, 14 million = best.

LEAFguy said:
JeremyW said:
Is there actually a map update available to 11/12s? Has anyone gotten it?
Jeremy - the map update is available for $179 from here:

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NissanNorthAmerica-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewStandardCatalog-Browse?CatalogCategoryID=iM8KCghB9t4AAAEuFBFDJP3i&ShowAllProducts=YES&PersistNavigationMenu=YES" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I ordered the update and tried to install the new SD card, but all I get is a screen that says SD UNLOCK NG, which I think is only supposed to happen when the card hasn't been programmed correctly for the car. I called 800 number on the package, and they put me on hold for a while and finally told me to take it to a dealer. I'll let you know how that goes on Friday.

I had the same blue screen (with missing I). Same advice: take it to a dealer. I think they screwed up the disks and are having trouble admitting it.

garygid said:
Perhaps the SD card itself needs to be unlocked so
that the car can write on it?

When you order the SD card on their web site, it asks you for the "Unit Code", "Serial Number", and "Confirmation Code" from the nav. I would assume they'd use this to program the card properly for you before they ship it. Last I heard the dealers had no idea what to do with the cards.

I submitted all that information to Navteq. The blue screen echos most of the data I sent, but it is not clear if it is grabbing it from the car or the disk. I will be very interested to hear from the other person who had a dealer appointment today. My appointment is late next week.

I took the car and map update to my dealer. They confirmed that the SD card was defective. Now I need to wait for the card to get back to Navteq so that they will send a replacement. Then I try again.

gossett said:
I took the car and map update to my dealer. They confirmed that the SD card was defective. Now I need to wait for the card to get back to Navteq so that they will send a replacement. Then I try again.

Same here. They got my returned SD card and I just got a notification that they have sent me a replacement. Any bets on whether we get the same message again?

I got the replacement SD card and it has the same problem, just a screen that says "SD UNLOCK NG" and some numbers at the bottom. I'll call them back tomorrow.

NavTeq called me before I could call them, told me to return the SD card for a refund. They are pulling the upgrade and they will let me know when it's available again. So much for that!

I received my replacement and also got a blue screen. When I called I actually got a person on the line who was willing to have me send in the photo of the screen (a big step up from the first guy). A few days later they contacted me with prepaid return shipping and said they would be in touch. No news yet.

Well, so much for that. One wonders if we'll ever be able to pay for a map update, never mind get one for free!

LEAFguy said:
Usually these updates come out in the fall. Often you can pick up a new SD card in the spring for $99. Hope that helps!

Still priced at $179 and.....

... Nissan Leaf Map Update

Please note this product is currently out of stock.

I called two days ago about my returned SD card to see how they were progressing. I was told "a team is working on it". That can mean anything from (a) they are working hard and are encountering serious problems to (z) it is in someone's in-pile and he or she will think about it someday - once all the previous crises are dealt with.

JPWhite said:
LEAFguy said:

Still priced at $179 and.....

... Nissan Leaf Map Update

Please note this product is currently out of stock.

Where does it show the price for $99 (avail in Spring) ? I can't see it.

Back