Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mavissmith wrote:
Just lost my first capacity bar. I will report my case on Monday since Nissan Leaf Support is closed for the day.

TomT wrote:
I'm not sure it really makes any real difference. They close out the case after awhile anyway and it then disappears from their system...
------------

You're probably right, TomT, but I still feel it needs to be reported, documented, and hopefully/ideally resolved for us or perhaps for future generations of EV owners (which may still include us). I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet. -ms

mavissmith said:
mavissmith wrote:
Just lost my first capacity bar. I will report my case on Monday since Nissan Leaf Support is closed for the day.
TomT wrote:
I'm not sure it really makes any real difference. They close out the case after awhile anyway and it then disappears from their system...
------------
You're probably right, TomT, but I still feel it needs to be reported, documented, and hopefully/ideally resolved for us or perhaps for future generations of EV owners (which may still include us). I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet. -ms
mavissmith is doing the right thing by reporting this problem to Nissan. Having worked in an auto dealership for several years, I can tell you that all OEM's keep very detailed stats of customer complaint calls. It is just one more way to keep the pressure on Nissan to do right by their customers.

Reporting a lost bar at 27k and 19 months is about the same as reporting the tires are getting worn down.
JMHO

Now the guys in AZ that report three even four bars missing in half the time have something to report.

smkettner said:
Reporting a lost bar at 27k and 19 months is about the same as reporting the tires are getting worn down.
JMHO

Funny you should mention that. My tyres are worn down. 25,000 miles and looking to replace all 4 before the end of summer. I believe the all on torque available at rest contributes to faster tire wear on the LEAF or any EV. Michelin's next time round.

However on a more pleasant note according to turbo3's leaf battery app, I'm at 91% of original capacity. His app appears to read 1-2% high on new LEAFs in the showroom, so I'm willing to settle for 10% loss coming up to 2 years in July. Compared to what the folks in Arizona have seen this is great.

Here comes June ...It will be HOT...It was June of last year where I lost 2 bars.. Will it happen again I have no idea ..Im actually driving slower because of the huge loss of miles per charge..

I entered it into the wiki.

I've been "out of the loop" lately. Is there a warranty thread? I thought I read somewhere it didn't cover 2011s.

turbo2ltr said:

I've been "out of the loop" lately. Is there a warranty thread? I thought I read somewhere it didn't cover 2011s.

It's not official yet, nor is the price of the battery, but "by spring" we should have the details:

5 year / 60,000 miles

If your car loses 5 capacity bars, hence triggering what is sometimes referred to as "70%" capacity, but according to the original service manual is 66.25%, then you can get a refurbished battery that will bring you back up above 70%.

Sounds awesome, right?

TonyWilliams said:
If your car loses 5 capacity bars, hence triggering what is sometimes referred to as "70%" capacity, but according to the original service manual is 66.25%, then you can get a refurbished battery that will bring you back up above 70%.
I thought the warranty kicked in if you lost more than three bars, i.e. they guarantee you will have nine (or more) bars until 5 years/60k. They are only guaranteeing eight bars?

Well it's a lease and going back in Jan....unless I can sell it for more than the $15k residual. I doubt I'll loose another two bars in that time but then again, who knows.
I'm hoping the 2014s will be out by the time the lease is up...

Knowing what you do now, would you really get another Leaf in Phoenix???

turbo2ltr said:
Well it's a lease and going back in Jan....unless I can sell it for more than the $15k residual. I doubt I'll loose another two bars in that time but then again, who knows.
I'm hoping the 2014s will be out by the time the lease is up...

I wouldn't buy one but I'd lease another one in a heartbeat. Even with the reduced range,it suites my drive cycle well. It has been extremely rare I need to use my other vehicle to go somewhere in town. And with all the new DCFCs in the area, extended trips are even easier. On a few occasions I've done a 5 minute "splash and go" at a fast charger to ease any range anxiety. But I worry about tax incentives going away and the lease payment getting too high for me to afford. As it is I'm paying more than I'd like at $429.

The big question will be if the car is going to loose as much capacity this summer as it did last summer. My guess is no. I think I lost the third bar just because at the end of the summer last year I was on the brink of losing it but then the cooler weather came and I got a lot of my gids back. But now that the heat is here again, I'm just where I "should" be. But I don't expect it to drop like it did last year around this time.

I think the 2014 will have different battery chemistry.

I hope you are right. I suspect that the high heat you guys see there causes something more substantial than just accelerated aging. with normal aging, even if sped up, you'd hope for a plateau. with my experience with lots of Li-ion batteries in other devices, when heat is the issue, the battery goes off a dramatic cliff and never evens out, if the same conditions that caused the problem in the first place persist. I suspect that the cooler winters will help pause this effect but only briefly till the next summer kicks in. Apparently even the 2013's may have an improved battery venting system, according to one guy who took a tour in Japan. I am very interested in seeing how the 2013's do over a hot summer or two or three in your neck of the woods!

turbo2ltr said:
I wouldn't buy one but I'd lease another one in a heartbeat. Even with the reduced range,it suites my drive cycle well. It has been extremely rare I need to use my other vehicle to go somewhere in town. And with all the new DCFCs in the area, extended trips are even easier. On a few occasions I've done a 5 minute "splash and go" at a fast charger to ease any range anxiety. But I worry about tax incentives going away and the lease payment getting too high for me to afford. As it is I'm paying more than I'd like at $429.

The big question will be if the car is going to loose as much capacity this summer as it did last summer. My guess is no. I think I lost the third bar just because at the end of the summer last year I was on the brink of losing it but then the cooler weather came and I got a lot of my gids back. But now that the heat is here again, I'm just where I "should" be. But I don't expect it to drop like it did last year around this time.

I think the 2014 will have different battery chemistry.

turbo2ltr said:

it covers every LEAF ever sold in the US

+1 to that. pretty much a foregone conclusion that after the end of my 3 year lease in Jan, the LEAF is still (by far) the best car for my needs. every other EV out there has a major drawback for me. its either price, no QC, size, range or something.

Hey Turbo? wont it be nice to turn in your old LEAF for something better at half the price? I, for one am definitely looking forward to it!

derkraut said:
smkettner said:
JMHO

Now the guys in AZ that report three even four bars missing in half the time have something to report.
+1

Here ya go... five missing bars (that means 60% or less capacity):

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=293189#p293189" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back