Bosch Introduces <$450 L2 EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveEV

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2013/05/bosch-20130508.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.pluginnow.com/charging_stations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anything else get that inexpensive? Properly building a 30A OpenEVSE will approach that price.

Only the 16A version costs $450, the higher-current/longer-cord versions cost more.

16A 12' Cord: $449
30A 16' Cord: $593
30A 25' Cord: $749

The 25' cord version seems like a rip-off: $150 for 9 ft of extra cord? That's $10/ft for the cord! Leviton sells a 30A 25' cord/handle set for $173 itself.

I am puzzled by this disclaimer for the $173 Leviton cord/handle set: "The J1772 connector assembly is not to be used as a replacement for a Leviton EVSE. Please check with the manufacturer of the EVSE to ensure compatibility.". Perhaps Leviton bought a lot of these cables, but then never used them for their EVSEs (maybe because they are TOO bulky)? There is an NEC requirement (Article 625.19 -- Automatic De-Energization of Cable) that Level 2 EVSE cables have "breakaway" protection, but I don't know how this is typically implemented -- perhaps this was a factor?

It is also interesting to read the comments of a buyer: "This cable is 3x thicker than the cable that came with the stock L1 charger. The three 10AWG wires weigh a lot and are wrapped in twice as much insulation as I expected. Those thick wires are bundled with multiple fibrous reinforcement strands and then the whole bundle is covered in an extra thick outer jacket made from some of the toughest rubber I've ever encountered. The advertisement photo doesn't do a very good job of showing just how big this cable really is. The plug is equally stocky and operates very smooth.".

I measured the diameter of my 2011 Leaf portable EVSE's cable as around 11.5 mm and that of my Blink's cable as around 15.5 mm. Anyone have a diameter for the 2013 Leaf's portable EVSE cable? If the buyer is correct about "3x thicker"...!!!

I would think from the standpoint of robustness a stiff cable should hold up longer than a more flexible one if that reduces the flexing that the internal copper wires receive over time (assuming these wires are constructed the same) -- so this might be a good buy. But then why the disclaimer?

Edit Update: I just measured an Eaton DC QC cable as ~33 mm, so unless the 2013 portable Nissan EVSE is significantly thinner than than their previous ones, the buyer's "3x thicker" statement is likely quite inaccurate.

That's definitely heading in the right direction; I just can't bring myself to spend $900+ on a L2 EVSE. My one question is: will it support a "plug-in" installation? The website says "permanent", but there are other "permanent" EVSE's that will just as easily take an L6-20 (or similar) pigtail.

I may have to finally break down and purchase a EVSE since the prices are looking kind of decent now. I'll be able to finally keep my modded one in the car.

From reading some article online there is a 30% tax credit for the purchase and installation of an EVSE, so that should further bring the price to $314.30. Is that right?

On a tangent, $156 for 9' of cable. Cost between the 2nd and 3rd EVSE. Damn, prices of copper must be outrages.

marccbr said:
On a tangent, $156 for 9' of cable. Cost between the 2nd and 3rd EVSE. Damn, prices of copper must be outrages.

According to these guys: http://www.tucsonev.com/J1772Extension.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; the copper price is <= $2.50/ft

(of course according to the date, this post is from the year 2103 in the future :lol: )

This looks like a pretty good unit. My only concern is that they do a free estimate for installation, which kind of sounds like the aerovironment deal that nissan pushes. Do they have certain electricians to install them and you have to go with them or can you deny their installation service and still purchase their L2 EVSE? I'm just wondering how much their installation fees are going to drive the price up on it.

I'm tempted to get this charger for my home (have been living on basic 110V), for my 2012 leaf. Anyone have insight if this is a good value/investment?

http://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the-latest/bosch-introduces-low_cost-240v-home-ev-charger/2000009343/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks,

Rob

I'm pretty sure you can just by the unit itself and have your own electrician install it or DIY. Since I already have a 240v L6-20 plug in the garage it should be a very cheap install.

Way to go Bosch! About time somebody starts selling glorified transformer for what it should cost. As far as cost of DIY openEVSE - that's not a given that it should cost less than a commercial product. We get into territory of scalable economics, wholesale parts and streamlined production. Try to build your own bicycle from scratch - can you beat a $49 price of a similarly equipped and same assembly quality bike from Walmart? No chance. Same thing here - larger manufactures with large production volumes will always have an upper hand and price advantage. Good on Bosch.

CRLeafSL said:
This looks like a pretty good unit. My only concern is that they do a free estimate for installation, which kind of sounds like the aerovironment deal that nissan pushes. Do they have certain electricians to install them and you have to go with them or can you deny their installation service and still purchase their L2 EVSE? I'm just wondering how much their installation fees are going to drive the price up on it.

I contacted Bosch regarding this and here is the answer that I got:
Thanks for reaching out. You can purchase any of our products without installation, including the 30A Power Max. Currently the only way to order the unit is by calling Bosch. Please note that none of the Power Max products will begin shipping until mid to late June. If you would like to forward me your information I can have a representative call you to start an order?

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any additional questions!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Meghan Chamberlain

Bosch Automotive Aftermarket
Automotive Service Solutions
Marketing Coordinator (AA-AS)

28635 Mound Road
Warren, MI 48092
USA

BestPal said:
Way to go Bosch! About time somebody starts selling glorified transformer for what it should cost.
Transformer? Not really. Yes, it may contain a small low power transformer to power its own electronic circuits, but the primary purpose of the EVSE is to act as a high power safety switch. There is never, ever, any voltage change or AC/DC conversion inside the EVSE of the power going from the wall to the car. That's why we keep insisting this is not a "charger".

Ray

I have just put in my order for the unit alone without installation.
The difference is that with their approved installers (And their fees) they warranty it for 3 years and 3 year support. Without the install (which is the way I am going) you only get 1 year warranty. I ordered the 30a 18' for $593 plus shipping. :D

My employer will be installing 3-6 EVSEs in the parking lot. These Bosch units (installed on poles) could be a cost-effective solution. It would be very helpful if users who have installed them could comment on whether they think the units are rugged enough to survive outside use in a Chicago parking lot. Thanks!

rexh62 said:
The difference is that with their approved installers (And their fees) they warranty it for 3 years and 3 year support. Without the install (which is the way I am going) you only get 1 year warranty. I ordered the 30a 18' for $593 plus shipping. :D

If you but it with an American Express credit card they will extend the warranty for another year. If it fails in the second year you will have to provide evidence that it has failed and provide estimates to repair, or replace. I think other credit cards offer similar extended warrantys.

LKK said:
rexh62 said:

If you but it with an American Express credit card they will extend the warranty for another year. If it fails in the second year you will have to provide evidence that it has failed and provide estimates to repair, or replace. I think other credit cards offer similar extended warrantys.

Thanks, I had forgotten this feature of Amex, but Yes, I did buy with my Amex card, so Woopee!

Ya, das ist echt gut!

I am thinking seriously about getting the Bosch for a level 2 charger in our garage. At $449 it really changes the equation a little. Though we haven't needed anything beyond a level one charger yet, having a level 2 would be a minor stress re-leaf (pun intended).

I am sure as volumes go up, prices will continue to fall. If the cord is so expensive, I would be ok with a 6 foot cord...say maybe 50-75 bucks cheaper?

You can buy it and DIY. Maryland offers a 20% tax credit for unit and installation, but you have to show that you pulled a permit and had the inspection. So you can save the installation cost, or get the discount - but not both. Fed credit may be different -

Back