100 Mile Club, 200 km, 300 km, 200 Mile Club (24kWh LEAF)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KickinLeaf said:
Cruise was set to 30mph, got a few honks, but for the most part it went fine, we were able to drive on really wide shoulders to let traffic by as needed :) What I wasn't expecting was the leaf to perform as new, my leaf is over a year old and just turned 15k miles on this trip. No perceivable degradation loss.

oh ok. I have over 32,000 miles and 27 months on my LEAF and just recorded a "280" (99.6% SOC) count the other day but I feel that I do have about a 5% degradation. In moderate weather, the LEAFs batteries do seem to hold up fairly well

KickinLeaf said:
Today my son and I drove 100mi+ unrefuled. We made one stop about half way to get some photos of the cars sitting in front of a windmill at a wind farm. I used a 2012 Leaf, and my son (17) used his Honda FitEV. It is my birthday today so it was a great present! The FitEV had my son Matt and his gf Maddy in it with Matt driving. I was driving the leaf with my son Chris (14). The odometers were a little off between cars. There were quite a few hills (not large ones) which made the trip interesting.

The leaf average 6.8mi/kWh, FitEV was 7.4
The leaf traveled 104.3 mi, FitEV traveled 102.9mi
The leaf had 10mi on DTE, FitEV had 24mi
The leaf had 1 bar remaining, no LB warning, FitEV had 21% SOC

If you didn't hit LBW, you still had over 17% remaining, so not that much below the FitEV. Maybe you should have gone for the lofty and elite 200km Club? That 6.8 miles/kWh is pretty solid !!! I think you could have done 200km even with 10% capacity loss.

Also, wasn't the Honda FitEV only sold in California?

By the powers invested in me, I doth hereby bequeath you "Mr. 48", and offer "Honorary Mr. 48" to your son Chris. "Honorable Mention Mr. 48" goes to Matt and his girlfriend.

Please remember to bring your monogrammed jacket to each of the secret club meetings, and also please don't forget to greet fellow club members with the secret handshake.

TonyWilliams said:
KickinLeaf said:
Also, wasn't the Honda FitEV only sold in California?

Thank you Tony for the kind words :) Yes, it was, but they brought the FitEV to NY and NJ a month ago. We had to drive it back from Paramus NJ, that was the closest "certified" dealer which happened to be 250 miles away. We wanted to drive it to make it interesting, and that it was! There were minimal charging stations along the way. Lets just say the Nissan dealers were very kind to let us charge a Honda there :)

-Jim

Ah yes, Spring. We had a few days of that last week here in the Great North Wet, with warm sunny days and nights that were not that cold, and an old man's thoughts turned to getting in the 100 mile club. I did a 100% charge overnight, and Friday morning turned on the car and had 12 bars and a GuessOmeter range of 102, first one over 100 I've seen since last year. So drove to work, with that bright shiny thing rising about the time I got to work. Drove carefully, first leg 16 miles was 6.2 m/kWh. Drove home in traffic, ended the day with 5.7 m/kWh, and 32 miles.

Saturday, I needed to go into work, and it was raining. Ended the day with 5.6 m/kWh and 64 miles. Rain makes getting good mileage much harder. Light traffic made it easier. Took the gasser for an evening errand to keep the 100 mile run going. The poor old thing does need someone to drive it once a week or so to keep it healthy... Clunky old thing. Thinking about selling it. But I do need it once in a while.

Sunday, April 28, I woke early, drove most of the way to work (avoiding the hill at the end of the drive), and added some miles with a few U-turns on a very quiet road near a shopping center. Hit LBW for the very first time.

http://sdrv.ms/Z9QRSV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ended the morning drive before the sun came up with 5.7 m/kWh and 100.4 miles. GOM still showed 4 miles.

GOM plus odometer was almost always over 100 the entire time. Oh, and the EV is wet, as is usual around here.

I'm waiting for a 100% charge this morning to estimate battery capacity.

WetEV said:
GOM plus odometer was almost always over 100 the entire time.
That's the metric I typically use when I am driving for efficiency. Generally I'll need that to be over 115 or 120 early on and then if I can maintain it over about 100 for the rest of the trip I can make 100 miles before VLBW.

WetEV said:
Sunday, April 28, I woke early, drove most of the way to work (avoiding the hill at the end of the drive), and added some miles with a few U-turns on a very quiet road near a shopping center. Hit LBW for the very first time.

http://sdrv.ms/Z9QRSV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ended the morning drive before the sun came up with 5.7 m/kWh and 100.4 miles. GOM still showed 4 miles.

Great story (sorry you had to drive the oil clunker).

May you now and forever be able to drive 100 miles with mostly hydroelectric power, and I hereby crown you Mr. 49.

May you wear that number proudly always.

LBW at 91.9 miles
5.7 miles/kWh (Dash)
100.4 miles on the odometer
Recharge according to L2 Blink home charger 21.86 kWh
Temperature in garage was around 55 F

So how is the battery pack doing?
I don't think that the accuracy of the measurements is good enough to answer that question. The battery pack is close enough to new that measurement errors are similar in size to the differences.

110.0 odometer miles yesterday, to just past the VLBW.

That's (IIRC) my ninth 100+ mile range test, and second only to the 112.7 I got on 6/18/12, with both higher battery and ambient temps.

This trip is routine for me now, and the only noteworthy variable was the increase from ~42 lbs tire pressure to the ~46 lbs (which I added prior to my ~690 mile trip to the Bay area a few weeks back) seems to have produced ~ a 4% increase in range, more than I anticipated.

I can really seem to feel every bump in the road (~9 miles of this route is off-pavement) at that pressure, so I'm not sure whether I'll keep it that high in the future.

Still no significant loss of range for my ~17,600 mile LEAF since I began range testing in the Summer of 2011, despite the 12.65 % reported loss of capacity:

="Turbo3"

edatoakrun here is the picture I took of your battery state at Saturday's BayLeaf meeting...

p1010171o.jpg

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=12098&start=50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edatoakrun said:

That's (IIRC) my ninth 100+ mile range test, and second only to the 112.7 I got on 6/18/12, with both higher battery and ambient temps.

This trip is routine for me now, and the only noteworthy variable was the increase from ~42 lbs tire pressure to the ~46 lbs (which I added prior to my ~690 mile trip to the Bay area a few weeks back) seems to have produced ~ a 4% increase in range, more than I anticipated.

I can really seem to feel every bump in the road (~9 miles of this route is off-pavement) at that pressure, so I'm not sure whether I'll keep it that high in the future.

Still no significant loss of range for my ~17,600 mile LEAF since I began range testing in the Summer of 2011, despite the 12.65 % reported loss of capacity:

="Turbo3"

edatoakrun here is the picture I took of your battery state at Saturday's BayLeaf meeting...

p1010171o.jpg

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=12098&start=50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1)your SOC value reported here is true SOC of the pack which means nearly 100% ?

2) your increase in efficiency of 4% is not likely to be fully attributable to your TP increase.

3) sorry I dont know this but what mechanism is telling you you have a 12.65% loss?

Did 100 miles today. Driving from Bergen County NJ to Brooklyn and back. I had 3 people in the car the whole time. Total weight was about 460 lbs. No cruise control, most highway miles with B mode on highways. Weather was 60-70f. Any other info needed?

oceanspray said:
Did 100 miles today. Driving from Bergen County NJ to Brooklyn and back. I had 3 people in the car the whole time. Total weight was about 460 lbs. No cruise control, most highway miles with B mode on highways. Weather was 60-70f. Any other info needed?

I just want to confirm that the car itself went 100 miles (usually folks are quite particular about the exact distance)?

What was the economy reported in the dash?

Hi all, wanted to see far my new car could go and what to trust, so we (wife and I ) started with 100% charge, 70 dregee, on normal city/street driving, with speeds from 25 to 55 and some rolling hills. we got 105 miles, 4.6 and VLB at 10% when we hit the charge station. Happy to see my car went over the 100 miles on one charge.

DaveinOlyWA said:
edatoakrun said:

="Turbo3"

p1010171o.jpg

1)your SOC value reported here is true SOC of the pack which means nearly 100% ?

2) your increase in efficiency of 4% is not likely to be fully attributable to your TP increase.

3) sorry I dont know this but what mechanism is telling you you have a 12.65% loss?

66 AH equals 100% BCAP. So Ed's car shows 87.45% CAP (top right on App screen) which is a 12.65% loss. He may lose a bar this summer.

Well, we finally had a nice day in TN & I charged the LEAF up to 100%, but only got 270 GID, little disappointed in that.

Anyway, it took me all day to do it, but I did 130.3 miles today. And I will say it's the only time I've ever gotten 6.6m/kwh for an entire day.

130miles.jpg

My only question is about turtle mode. I went to turtle @ 5 gid & coasted into my driveway with 4 gid. I thought there was a little more cushion. I only drove about 1/2 mile after turtle.

Philip

philipscoggins said:
Well, we finally had a nice day in TN & I charged the LEAF up to 100%, but only got 270 GID, little disappointed in that.

Anyway, it took me all day to do it, but I did 130.3 miles today. And I will say it's the only time I've ever gotten 6.6m/kwh for an entire day.

My only question is about turtle mode. I went to turtle @ 5 gid & coasted into my driveway with 4 gid. I thought there was a little more cushion. I only drove about 1/2 mile after turtle.

Philip

Excellent work!!! You are hereby inducted into the elite of the elite, only the 5th soul to crack the 200km glass ceiling. In addition, I do hereby proclaim you "Mr. 5-200" !!!

For the Turtle mode, please see the Range Chart linked in my signature line.

1/2 miles max in turtle.... I could have sworn that said 1 & 1/2 miles! It was my first turtle mode so I was playing around with how funny it felt to floor it and get nothing LoL

I didn't realize I had passed 200km, but now I figure I can drive in Japan

Philip

philipscoggins said:
1/2 miles max in turtle.... I could have sworn that said 1 & 1/2 miles! It was my first turtle mode so I was playing around with how funny it felt to floor it and get nothing LoL

Philip

you really don't have a lot after those circles start disappearing. they only last about a tenth of a mile each!

DaveinOlyWA said:
philipscoggins said:

Philip

you really don't have a lot after those circles start disappearing. they only last about a tenth of a mile each!
Yes, depending on the exact onset of turtle, there are only 100 to 200 Wh of usable energy left, which won't bring the car very far. Even if driven conservatively.

I also did 101.3 miles over yesterday and today. Averaged 5.7 miles/kwh and actually used A/C yesterday when temps were in the 80's. Did not exceed 43 mph (per speedometer) and most of the driving was on 35 mph roads so an easy test (don't need a number, already got one!)

having loaned out my GID meter, I don't know how far I could have gone other than I did travel 6.3 miles after VLB so probably had no more than a mile or two. But did this more on evaluating my range loss (ya, even in WA, it happens) and did get a GID count of 259 the other day so looks like next Jan will be a great time to do another lease.

TonyWilliams said:
philipscoggins said:

Philip

Excellent work!!! You are hereby inducted into the elite of the elite, only the 5th soul to crack the 200km glass ceiling. In addition, I do hereby proclaim you "Mr. 5-200" !!!
Seeing as how he broke 200km, shouldn't he be Monsieur Cinq-deux cent? :lol:

Back