Poll : How much will the MY13 Leaf cost ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Your gues for lowest trim Leaf 2013 price is :

• <=$27,500

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • $27,501 - $28,500

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • $28,501 - $29,500

Votes: 13 17.1%
  • $29,501 - $30,500

Votes: 29 38.2%
  • $30,501 - $31,500

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • $31,501 - $32,500

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • $32,501 - $33,500

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • $33,501 - $34,500

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • > $34,500

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

evnow

What will be the price of the MY13 Leaf S model (the new low end model) ? The price is likely to be announced in 10 days (@ NAAS/Detroit auto show).

The lowest trim Leaf 2012 is $35,200.

The lowest trim Leaf 2011 was $32,780.

BTW, the reason for the starting point of 27,500 is ... less than that would make it <20K post tax credit.

My guess is just shy of $30k.

I agree with others, probably just shy of $30k.

But I think there is an outside chance the "S" could be severely de-contented and priced just under $27,500, so that Nissan could advertise it as "starting under $20,000, after tax credit".

You probably won't see many low price "stripper" LEAFs on the dealer's lots anyway, as they will be just as uncommon as the loss-leader "starting at...$ "stripper" ICEVs.

While I'm at it, I'm also guessing the 2013 LEAF EPA range will be ~79 miles, and that the total USA 2013 MY LEAF sales will be ~48,000, ending in ~October, when the nearly-identical 2014 MY will hit the dealerships.

I would not buy the stripped Leaf (of course this depends on what is stripped out) if you are planning on keeping it a long time. You might also take a hit on resale. I'm hoping my Leaf is the first car I keep at the end of the lease. It would take a reasonably priced replacement battery with hopefully at least 10 miles more range.

May be I'll run a separate Leaf SV/SL poll later.

I think S price will dictate SV/SL prices to an extent. I don't think they can make S much lower than SV/SL but not have many on the dealer lot.

BTW, currently each dealer is allowed to order ONE S.

My guess is the S will be sans navigation and heated seats, the SV will have navigation and cloth seats while the SL will have leather and maybe a power driver seat.

edatoakrun said:
You probably won't see many low price "stripper" LEAFs on the dealer's lots anyway, as they will be just as uncommon as the loss-leader "starting at...$ "stripper" ICEVs.
Yep. It'll be just a teaser car w/a low price to get people interested (via ads) and to try to get upsell people to the SV.
willk55 said:
My guess is the S will be sans navigation and heated seats, the SV will have navigation and cloth seats....
I think you might be right... I'm thinking the S will also lack cruise control (big bummer, if so).

I figure they might sell the S as a teaser car and/or to fleets (rental, taxi, security, meter maids, company shuttles, etc.)

willk55 said:
My guess is the S will be sans navigation and heated seats, the SV will have navigation and cloth seats while the SL will have leather and maybe a power driver seat.
Leather will be an option - a lot of us won't buy leather seats.

evnow said:
I wonder if Nissan will instead/ever offer simulated leather. Toyota offers Softex, which I believe is some sort of simulated leather.

Prior to the 06 Prius, one couldn't even get factory leather on a Prius. Cloth was the only choice, since I suppose it ran counter to having a Prius in the first place. Now they moved away from genuine leather again and don't offer it on the Prius anymore, just Softex.

I think price should be on par with the ICE equivalent after the government subsidy. Some states are higher and some are lower, but let's say $10K. I think $29,999 before delivery costs for the MSRP is my vote. That would put the after tax price at about the same as the low end Beetle, another iconic smaller car. Strip out as much as you need to get there.

Thinking about it from the other direction, a battery at 24KWh is probably $10K at $400/KWh. Since Nissan owns the battery plant and most costs are fixed now with the raw materials being only a small part of the production cost, they can sorta sell batteries at whatever cost they want. Even if $400/KWh is low, the Leaf has no ICE so there is at least a few thousand dollars of savings there to offset a higher battery cost.

If one could say today that there was price parity, only the loss of range would be weighed against the reduced fuel cost. I think that is the "tipping point."

evnow said:
willk55 said:

Just wondering, what's wrong with leather seats?

Update: N/M I googled it. It seems like simulated leather isn't much better either. It is a bit ironic that one of the reasons why Nissan is offering leather as an option is because many don't like the current seats which are environmentally-friendly.

x10guy said:
Update: N/M I googled it. It seems like simulated leather isn't much better either. It is a bit ironic that one of the reasons why Nissan is offering leather as an option is because many don't like the current seats which are environmentally-friendly.
I think they should offer leather as an option - since some are replacing / adding leather covers anyway.

I voted high, there is only so much that Nissan can decontent without cutting into the meat.. the battery, motor, inverter, AC and charger are common to all Leafs no matter how much they gild the interior or tart up the radio.

Herm said:
I voted high, there is only so much that Nissan can decontent without cutting into the meat.. the battery, motor, inverter, AC and charger are common to all Leafs no matter how much they gild the interior or tart up the radio.

No meat required: no Nav, leather, fancy wheels or upscale electronics (like cruise), and they can easily get the MSRP <$30k. Now, I wouldn't want to buy that car, but that's not the point.

Stanton said:
No meat required: no Nav, leather, fancy wheels or upscale electronics (like cruise), and they can easily get the MSRP <$30k. Now, I wouldn't want to buy that car, but that's not the point.
Manufacturng in the US vs Japan itself should be enough to get this below $30k.

One thing about decontenting is that, it may not save much money. A lot of these options are very high margin items for the manufacturer - so removing them doesn't save much - but adding them increases the value to consumers. My guess is the base model with low content is the loss leader. Manufacturers expect to draw people using that price, but basically sell a higher model.

Stanton said:

I want to believe also..

Back