Orange County, CA, Public Charging stations (J1772 and DCQC)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Evoasis said:
Happy Easter-Lake Forest Leaf Driver!
Our DC Quick-Charger at San Juan Cap is up and operating. I'll leave you an Easter Basket at the hotel front desk...Angus
Woo Hoo! Angus . . . . he's the MAN! Mighty quick work - changing out a transformer. I am impressed.

richard said:
My situation is that when I'm in my GE Wattstation account, and go to Settings | My Payment Information | Set Up Account, it takes me to Paypal, where I log in. Then I press on the Agree.. button. I'm supposed to be taken back to my GE Wattstation account to do the final confirmation, but instead I'm dumped back at the GE login page. So it's not possible for me to set up this link at this time. I suspect the issue lies with the GE Wattstation site accepting the Paypal token.

Still waiting for something concrete from Customer Support. I keep hearing that they have to verify the paypal link with their "backend" staff. It's clear that I'm missing the link, because every time I log into my account, the button says Set Up Account. If I had a link, I'm pretty sure it would say Remove Account.

So if your My Payment Information has a button labeled "Set Up Account", you're not linked properly, and the pay Wattstations won't work.

Another thing to check is whether GE is listed as a Service Provider in your Paypal account. (My Account | Profile |My Settings | Service Providers) Can someone with a working account confirm that GE appears in this list?

Bit of an update and a correction.

I got several automated email updates from GE technical support over the holidays, but no apparent progress.

Out of desperation, I was just about to abandon my old Wattstation account and create a new one, thinking maybe older accounts like mine were missing something. But first, I tried doing a password reset. Then I tried logging into the the account again and setting up the Paypal account. Like before, after completing the Paypal portion, I still got dumped off at the GE login page. But then I tried logging back into my GE account and trying again, and that time it worked. I ended up back in my GE account. The button read "Remove Account", so the link to Paypal seems to have finally stuck.

Paypal doesn't record GE as a Service Provider, so the above instructions don't work. To verify GE is set up correctly in Paypal, go to:
My Account | Profile | My Money | My preapproved payments | Update (or use the search box and enter "My preapproved payments")
You should see GE listed there.

This week, Andrew from GE Tech Support called me back and said that they had found a problem in the backend setup and had fixed that.

So some combination of the above seems to have worked, because I tried my card at Irvine Spectrum on Wednesday and got the pretty green ring (instead of the red $ icon)

This has been by far the most complex setup of a charge station card that I've experienced.

Quick update on additional DCQCs that are (and may) be coming to the area:

Connell Nissan has theirs permitted already and has had a site inspection by AV (which is a bit weird...are we talking about AV DCQCs or is AV the contractor for installing Nissan branded ones?). They expect to have it ready to use sometime in March.

Looks like Doug Kind may have overcome the objections he encountered late last year and is once again looking for a DCQC to install at CSUF. Last week he asked me to put him in contact with folks at Nissan again. Hopefully, it'll be a more fruitful connection than it was when we tried the same thing this time last year.

Very nice. Thanks for the update mwalsh! Anyone knows anymore about other DCQC that Nissan is supposedly going to install at other Nissan dealership, esp in SoCal?

mwalsh said:
... Connell Nissan has theirs permitted already and has had a site inspection by AV (which is a bit weird...are we talking about AV DCQCs or is AV the contractor for installing Nissan branded ones?). ...
I believe that AV is the US distributor for the Nissan DCQC. It makes sense they would also handle installation and maintenance.

mwalsh said:
Quick update on additional DCQCs that are (and may) be coming to the area:

Connell Nissan has theirs permitted already and has had a site inspection by AV (which is a bit weird...are we talking about AV DCQCs or is AV the contractor for installing Nissan branded ones?). They expect to have it ready to use sometime in March. ...snip...
Nice! Any word weather it's going to be set at 25kW or 50kW ?

Yea, the CSUF illusory QC ... how long have they been trying now?

I have a meeting next to John Wayne Airport on Thursday, and thought I'd take the LEAF. My first choice to charge up enough to return would be IKEA (shopping to do), and my second choice, Bella Terra (read a book) shopping center.

Can I confidently expect to get home (are these reliable choices) ? I'd need about 2 hours of juice. I have an active chargepoint card.

JimSouCal said:
I have a meeting next to John Wayne Airport on Thursday, and thought I'd take the LEAF. My first choice to charge up enough to return would be IKEA (shopping to do), and my second choice, Bella Terra (read a book) shopping center.

Can I confidently expect to get home (are these reliable choices) ? I'd need about 2 hours of juice. I have an active chargepoint card.

there are a bunch of charge points at nearby south coast plaza garages

JimSouCal said:

You will need a BLINK card at IKEA, South Coast Plaza has Chargepoint and a free access ClipperCreek in lower level parking SCP West.
Much better food, shopping, relaxing, people watching at SCP. Unless you really need something at IKEA.

smkettner said:
JimSouCal said:

You will need a BLINK card at IKEA, South Coast Plaza has Chargepoint and a free access ClipperCreek in lower level parking SCP West.
Much better food, shopping, relaxing, people watching at SCP. Unless you really need something at IKEA.
Thanks. Remodeling kitchen. IKEA is 20% off on kitchens through April and several folks I know have had excellent results.. South Coast Plaza, well, I've never been, and that will be helpful. I have a blink card, BTW. Much thanks for the tip.

JimSouCal said:
Thanks. Remodeling kitchen. IKEA is 20% off on kitchens through April and several folks I know have had excellent results.. South Coast Plaza, well, I've never been, and that will be helpful. I have a blink card, BTW. Much thanks for the tip.
20% you say .... mmmm .... have to chect it out.

New double J1772 Chargepoint station has been installed in the Plaza Tower parking structure next to the Westin Hotel (Segerstrom Concert Hall). It is not yet powered. Looks like it will have 2 dedicated parking spots. It is adjacent to the two stations already there. No fee for charging so far but parking is pricey. It is Costa Mesa!

Big thanks to the South Coast Plaza management.

Update: There is an additional double unit and parking spots in the Center Tower parking structure next to the OCPAC. It is functional and the spots striped. Rumor has it that another double unit will be going into One Town parking structure as well (across the street). I was told these locations are getting a lot of use.

JPVLeaf said:
Plaza Tower (L1 South 1) 600 Anton Blvd. Costa Mesa CA 1 L1/L2 Chargepoint
Plaza Tower (L1 South 2) 600 Anton Blvd. Costa Mesa CA 1 L2 Chargepoint
Center Tower (L1 West 01) 3444-3480 Park Center Dr. Costa Mesa CA 1 L1/L2 Chargepoint
Center Tower (L1 West 02) 3444-3480 Park Center Dr. Costa Mesa CA 1 L1/L2 Chargepoint
I believe two more L2 will be going in at each of these locations. Just in case you frequent the theater or music hall.

Back