"Negawatts" - Preparing for Your New Electric Car

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
indyflick said:
Anyone tied solar tubes for lighting yet?

Yes! Natural light is always preferable to artificial light, in my opinion. Two years ago, we installed three 10 inch diameter solar tubes (about $180 each at Home Depot) in our main living area, and one each in two large closets. We also installed a 14 inch diameter tube in my in-laws' home. The light transmission is great. Even at night, they pick up moonlight! I would recommend using the largest diameter you can accommodate between your roof joists.

There are just three downsides I would point out:
- Not much light gets through when they are covered by 2 feet of snow, which we do get from time to time here in the Southern California mountains.
- Like any "window", there is some heat transfer, but I've found it to be pretty minor.
- Solar tubes might interfere somewhat with the placement of photovoltaic panels in the future.

indyflick said:
Anyone tied solar tubes for lighting yet?
I've got 2 14" ones in my windowless bathroom - an old one in the tub/toilet area and a new SolaTube one on the other half in the sink area.

Love them both - no need for additional lighting during the day 99% of the time. As abasile mentions they let in a bit of moonlight so you don't need to turn on the lights to stumble to the toilet at night.

The new one is Energy Star rated so noticeably lets in less heat on hot days than the old one. Can't really tell that the new one lets any significant amount of heat while the old one gets warm to the touch.

Skylights

We have six 22 x 44 in skylights on a flat roof. We now have the plastic bubble type which let in a lot of the summer heat. We want to replace them with double-pane low-e glass skylights. We know that Velux makes such a skylight, but you have to build a contraption out of wood so the skylight is slanted so the rain will run off.

Does anyone know of any other manufacturers of glass skylights that might work better on our flat roof?

How do we "prepare" for our LEAF if we may not have an EV when our LEAF comes in December? I only see one the EV Charge America unit available now- but I have not had any responses from them. When and which other EV home charger units be available this year?

JPC2822 said:
How do we "prepare" for our LEAF if we may not have an EV when our LEAF comes in December? I only see one the EV Charge America unit available now- but I have not had any responses from them. When and which other EV home charger units be available this year?
In this forum under Technical Nissan Leaf Discussion there's a section called Batteries & Charging. There you'll find a lot of discussion on EVSEs. Your question should probably be asked in one of those topics.

Here's an interesting solar energy product. It's basically a solar space heater. It would be interesting if home builders integrated (technically and architecturally) such technology into new home construction. I found some articles where folks have built their own versions of these systems for a fraction of the cost. But of course, they don't look as professional or finished as the manufactured versions.

For those of you interested in LED lighting, the 2010 Lighting for Tomorrow contest winners were announced yesterday:

http://www.lightingfortomorrow.org/2010/10winners.shtml

The contest is for new products, so you may also want to look through some recent past winners for ideas.

indyflick said:
Here's an interesting solar energy product. It's basically a solar space heater. It would be interesting if home builders integrated (technically and architecturally) such technology into new home construction. I found some articles where folks have built their own versions of these systems for a fraction of the cost. But of course, they don't look as professional or finished as the manufactured versions.

It's interesting that you mentioned this, as I recently looked into solar space heating as well. While it won't really save electricity unless you have electric heat, it does seem like a great way to utilize solar energy. I recently spoke with the proprietor of a small company in Massachusetts that manufactures solar space heaters. They seem to have a good product, and it happens to be a little less expensive. http://sunmatesolarpanels.com/content/view/2/31/

And here's another, similar product that I came across: http://www.organicmechanic.com/product/solar-air-heater#

lne937s said:
For those of you interested in LED lighting, the 2010 Lighting for Tomorrow contest winners were announced yesterday...

Thanks. Interesting developments!

From the standpoint of saving electricity (ignoring other factors such as mercury in CFLs), I think it currently, generally only makes sense to upgrade from CFLs to LEDs for downlighting or directional lighting applications. (lne937s did mention that those are the ideal LED lighting applications.) An LED light in a track head, for instance, will typically not "waste" lumens (and consequently watts) lighting the inside of the track head. As a result, that LED light can potentially output fewer total lumens than a CFL bulb, and yet provide an equivalent amount of useful illumination.

Getting optimal use of LEDs might be a factor to consider when planning new construction or remodeling. Knowing what I know today, I would have installed fewer wall sconces and more track and can lights when we remodeled our home two years ago.

lne937s said:
For those of you interested in LED lighting, the 2010 Lighting for Tomorrow contest winners were announced yesterday:

http://www.lightingfortomorrow.org/2010/10winners.shtml

The contest is for new products, so you may also want to look through some recent past winners for ideas.
I just spent some time on the Lighting For Tomorrow site. They highlight some interesting products. I really like the Sunter Architect LED Desk Lamp and the RT1 7 Button Timer is a great idea. However, the Philips LED doesn't seem that impressive, 12.6 watts at 60 watts equivalent. A CFL can do that for far less money. Also, I'm not sure I would ever want to dim a 60 watts equivalent bulb. They must be targeting this product to commercial applications who need very long lasting (25,000 hours) and low wattage bulbs.

Azrich said:
Skylights

We have six 22 x 44 in skylights on a flat roof. We now have the plastic bubble type which let in a lot of the summer heat. We want to replace them with double-pane low-e glass skylights. We know that Velux makes such a skylight, but you have to build a contraption out of wood so the skylight is slanted so the rain will run off.

Does anyone know of any other manufacturers of glass skylights that might work better on our flat roof?
Sorry I missed your post. Have you considered tubular skylights? They let in all the sunlight with none of the heat, and they're easier to install as well. :)

Existing through-roof skylights, apparently on a flat roof.
Wants to replace plastic domes with low-e glass, right?

Q. How to tip so rain runs off?

But, first consider:
1. Is glass allowed in the skylight?
2. Sealing glass so there are no leaks.
3. Holding the glass down in a strong wind.

Then, consider a frame to tilt the glass slightly. Only a very little is needed for rain.

Here's an interesting site on Trombe Wall's and Thermal Mass Window System's for passive solar heating. While this system would reduce your consumption of gas considerably, you might only save a couple of kWhs of electricity a day in the winter months because you wouldn't be running your blower as often. Furnace blower motors typically consume ~100 watts for the efficient versions with many consuming several hundred watts.

I did some quick and dirty calculations to find out which is better for the environment in regards to mercury emissions. Incandescent, CFL, or LED.

First of all, we know that the average electricity production in the US is 57% coal. Also, coal power plants emit on average 0.06 milligrams of mercury per kWh. Finally, CFLs contain about 4.5 milligrams of mercury and last about 1000 hours.

Therefore, using 60 watt incandescent bulbs over a period of 1000 hours would emit 2.05 milligrams of mercury.
A 20 watt CFL would emit only 0.68 mg but we have to add the 4.5 mg contained in the bulb, so a total of 5.18 milligrams of mercury over the same time period.
Currently, LED bulbs are roughly the same efficiency as CFLs but contain no mercury, so an LED bulb would emit only 0.68 milligrams.

This is assuming the power source is 57% coal and the remainder of the power mix is mercury-free. This is also assuming the bulbs are disposed of in the landfill (CFLs are supposed to be disposed of in hazardous waste but nobody bothers to do so).

The result: In terms of mercury emissions the LED bulb comes out ahead of the pack with the least mercury emissions by far. LEDs currently seem very expensive until you consider that they last up to 10 times longer than even CFLs. Second is the incandescent, and the CFL is worst. The solution: Upgrade to the latest lighting technology: LEDs :cool:

Sources: http://www.powerscorecard.org/tech_detail.cfm?resource_id=2 & http://www.myledlightingguide.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=19

johnr said:
I did some quick and dirty calculations to find out which is better for the environment in regards to mercury emissions. Incandescent, CFL, or LED.

First of all, we know that the average electricity production in the US is 57% coal. Also, coal power plants emit on average 0.06 milligrams of mercury per kWh. Finally, CFLs contain about 4.5 milligrams of mercury and last about 1000 hours.

Therefore, using 60 watt incandescent bulbs over a period of 1000 hours would emit 2.05 milligrams of mercury.
A 20 watt CFL would emit only 0.68 mg but we have to add the 4.5 mg contained in the bulb, so a total of 5.18 milligrams of mercury over the same time period.
Currently, LED bulbs are roughly the same efficiency as CFLs but contain no mercury, so an LED bulb would emit only 0.68 milligrams.

This is assuming the power source is 57% coal and the remainder of the power mix is mercury-free. This is also assuming the bulbs are disposed of in the landfill (CFLs are supposed to be disposed of in hazardous waste but nobody bothers to do so).

The result: In terms of mercury emissions the LED bulb comes out ahead of the pack with the least mercury emissions by far. LEDs currently seem very expensive until you consider that they last up to 10 times longer than even CFLs. Second is the incandescent, and the CFL is worst. The solution: Upgrade to the latest lighting technology: LEDs :cool:

Sources: http://www.powerscorecard.org/tech_detail.cfm?resource_id=2 & http://www.myledlightingguide.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=19

From a personal exposure perspective, CFL's are even worse if they break. Reason being is that they vaporize the Mercury in the bulb and send it directly into the room. Whereas the coal plant sends it into the atmosphere where it is diluted, the CFL puts it into a concentrated, contained airspace filled with people. It is like the difference between venting car exhaust into the atmosphere and running it in a sealed garage. Mercury is bioaccumulative (you can't really get rid of it in your system unless you surgically remove it) and it tends to collect in biologically active parts of the body. It especially causes problems with pregnant women and children-- this is dramatically more exposure from broken bulbs than regular carnivorous fish consumption (i.e., tuna). If a CFL bulb should break, be sure to evacuate people from the room, ventilate, and follow cleanup procedures recommended by the EPA:

http://www.epa.gov/cfl/cflcleanup.html

johnr said:
But our power source (PG&E) is 1% coal, and I do dispose of CFLs as hazardous waste. (In fact I have an appointment Friday morning to do just that, along with some old paint.) Given those facts I think I'll stick with CFLs for now.

johnr said:

I have to disagree a little...my CFLs are guaranteed to last 5 years. It will be four years and counting in Dec. There is no way that any LED will last 50 years (your "up to 10 times longer). I did notice your "up to", which can actually mean anywhere from no longer to ten times. It's like those sales, when they say, "up to 75% off", but in reality you may find only a few items at that price, with others anywhere from list price to 5-70% off. ;)

leaffan said:
I have to disagree a little...my CFLs are guaranteed to last 5 years. It will be four years and counting in Dec. There is no way that any LED will last 50 years (your "up to 10 times longer). I did notice your "up to", which can actually mean anywhere from no longer to ten times. It's like those sales, when they say, "up to 75% off", but in reality you may find only a few items at that price, with others anywhere from list price to 5-70% off. ;)

It has to do with hours of operation in-fixture rating. For typical residential use, those CFL's will last a few years and are warranteed due to government regulations surrounding EnergyStar rating. In many applications, they will not last that long and the warranty will typically be very difficult for you to cash in on (fill out a form, pay S&H that is as much as a new bulb, etc.) so they count on people never cashing in. And those warranties do not apply to commercial applications. If you use the fixture heavily, you will get 10 times as many hours of operation out of an LED bulb in-fixture- more if you use the bulb in a sealed can, more if it is used outside or there are big termerature swings, and much more if the light is constantly being switched on and off (occupancy sensors). Will the LED bulbs last 50 years? probably not due to corrosion, plastics breaking down, etc. Will they last 50,000+ hours in heavily-used fixture with constant switching on and off- yes.

lne937s said:
For LED lighting, I recommend CREE. There is a lot of exageration in the LED lighting business, and some products that look good in manufacturer's claims do not perform well in real life or independant testing. CREE products tend to outperform rated specs in independant testing.
http://www.creeledlighting.com/index.aspx

You can acutally buy one of their downlights through home depot:
http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-Fans-Light-Bulbs-LED/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xqdZbmg0/R-202240932/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
I ordered the CREE downlights from Home Depot to replace the 5 standard dimmable ones I have in my kitchen. It took a total of 20 minutes to do all 5 and my wife loves the look and the brightness of the new lights. $50 a pop is still pretty expensive, but I counld not be happier (other than if they were cheaper :p ) with these.

johnr said:

Your conclusion is wrong because you have made the wrong assumption about CFL bulb life.

While an incandescent bulb typically lasts about 1000 hours at most, your typical CFL is rated for between 6000-15000 hours.

If you run the numbers for even a 6000 hour run time, the conclusion is very different - especially considering that you can recycle the CFL and avoid all mercury emissions.

If you are worried at all about breakage - do not use a CFL in that location and pay extra for the LED bulb.

Back