Complete Costco Solar Panel Systems

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ELROY

Was kind of surprised to see a variety of Costco solar panel systems online.
They seem to have a pretty nice 3750watt system with M215 micro inverters.
Comes with mounting hardware and price includes shipping.
15 250watt panels.
Still not sure what they mean by 3750watt maximum power per day.
And shouldn't it be more than 175kWh per month?
And is it really only sufficient for 1/2 the power needs of an average 1200sq ft house??

costco1.jpg

costco2.jpg

costco3.jpg

costco4.jpg

costco5.jpg

costco6.jpg

costco7.jpg

How does does this $11300 system stack up against some of the other systems discussed on this forum?

What kind of installation/permiting costs/etc are expected for an installation of a 15 panel system approx? I live in Southern California.

If I charge the LEAF on average 3.8kWh for 4 hrs during the night...wouldnt a 3750 watt panel system running all day cover the power used by my LEAF??

So tempting to install something like this, but I am not fond of ruining my lightweight clay roof that was installed on my house not too long ago, as it was quite a bit of $$ to install the roof.

FYI: My bill last month was 985kWh ($176.31)
My super off peak when I charge is at .17cent/kWh
My rates for the rest of the day is around .27cent/kWh
However in the summer my peak rates will be .60cents/kWh

edisonnov2012.jpg

While solar is a good idea for you, Elroy, this package from Costco is not. I'll break it down for you-

$12,203.99 cost (including tax) = $3.25 per watt. Plus you're gonna need...

$ 600 Creofix spanish tile roof stands
$ 255 Enphase trunk cables
$ 450 Enphase Envoy computer
$ 139 trunk cable stainless steel clips
$ 350 wire, junction boxes, conduit, breakers, etc
$ 300 average cost of permit
$ 168 tax on all this
$2,262 total for extras

$12,203.99 original cost
+$2,262.00 extra parts needed
$14,465.99 = $3.86 per watt for only materials

The lowest installed price in California for your size system is currently $3.69 per watt, all materials and labor included. But, that company is based in the Northern California bay area, and you live in Southern California. For 2012, in the entire state, the average installed price for a 3.75 kw system is close to $6.00 per watt (per the California Solar Initiative website). Two weeks ago in Castro Valley, I saw a bid by Solar City for a 3 kw system, and they wanted $6.67 per watt. Yikes! It's very surprising to me that the prices are still so high, because the material costs for a solar system have plummeted this year. It's sort of like when the price of a barrel of oil drops a lot, and the price of gasoline doesn't.

So you should look for a bid from a solar company for between $3.69 per watt and $6.00 per watt. For that, you should expect- 1) a complete system installed, all labor and materials 2) the installer to do all the paperwork and drawings for the building permit application, all paperwork regarding your utility rebate, and all paperwork regarding your new solar meter 3) an internationally known brand of solar panel (not Grape), made by a strong, non-Chinese based company that'll hopefully be around for the full 25 years of the panel guarantee.

If you can find a licensed contractor, with solar experience, who will do it for $4.50-5.00 a watt or so, go for it.

Good luck Elroy!

Good Info! I always thought with the good Costco Warranty I would be well protected with no hassles. However, in this case with the average PV system warranties..it shouldn't be an issue anyways. And is having only a 10yrs material and workmanship warranty the norm? Is 18% efficiency high end or just average? And yes it seems the cost of install here about equals the materials anyways.

Mothernaturesolar said:
While solar is a good idea for you, Elroy, this package from Costco is not. I'll break it down for you-

$12,203.99 cost (including tax) = $3.25 per watt. Plus you're gonna need...

$ 600 Creofix spanish tile roof stands
$ 255 Enphase trunk cables
$ 450 Enphase Envoy computer
$ 139 trunk cable stainless steel clips
$ 350 wire, junction boxes, conduit, breakers, etc
$ 300 average cost of permit
$ 168 tax on all this
$2,262 total for extras

$12,203.99 original cost
+$2,262.00 extra parts needed
$14,465.99 = $3.86 per watt for only materials

The lowest installed price in California for your size system is currently $3.69 per watt, all materials and labor included. But, that company is based in the Northern California bay area, and you live in Southern California. For 2012, in the entire state, the average installed price for a 3.75 kw system is close to $6.00 per watt (per the California Solar Initiative website). Two weeks ago in Castro Valley, I saw a bid by Solar City for a 3 kw system, and they wanted $6.67 per watt. Yikes! It's very surprising to me that the prices are still so high, because the material costs for a solar system have plummeted this year. It's sort of like when the price of a barrel of oil drops a lot, and the price of gasoline doesn't.

So you should look for a bid from a solar company for between $3.69 per watt and $6.00 per watt. For that, you should expect- 1) a complete system installed, all labor and materials 2) the installer to do all the paperwork and drawings for the building permit application, all paperwork regarding your utility rebate, and all paperwork regarding your new solar meter 3) an internationally known brand of solar panel (not Grape), made by a strong, non-Chinese based company that'll hopefully be around for the full 25 years of the panel guarantee.

If you can find a licensed contractor, with solar experience, who will do it for $4.50-5.00 a watt or so, go for it.

Good luck Elroy!

And is having only a 10yrs material and workmanship warranty the norm? For the system as a whole? Yes.

Is 18% efficiency high end or just average? High end.

The average efficiency is between 14% to 16% for solar panels. But keep in mind, efficiency is primarily a smoke screen by solar companies so that they can charge higher prices. But a high efficiency 250 watt panel doesn't put out more power than a standard 250 watt panel, it just puts out the same amount of power with a smaller panel. It's quite unimportant if your panels cover 100 square feet less of your roof with high efficiency panels than with standard panels. Do you think anyone would ever notice or care? What you really need to know is- How much are you going to pay for each watt produced?

A 4 kw system with standard 250 watt panels is no different than a 4 kw system with high efficiency 250 watt panels. The standard system has 16 panels, the high efficiency system has 16 panels. The high efficiency panels will take about 25% less roof area, therefore they put out more power per square foot; but, they still only produce 4 kws, just like the standard panels. The important differences are- 1) a standard 4 kw system is much cheaper 2) a standard 4 kw system coupled with Enphase M215 inverters will actually outproduce a 4 kw system of high efficiency panels coupled with a DC inverter 3) you pay much more per watt produced for high efficiency panels than with standard panels.

With standard panels, you'll pay anywhere from $3.69 to $6.00 per watt installed, and with the high efficiency panels you'll be lucky to be below $6.00 a watt, and often the price will be higher.

The only time to consider high efficiency panels is when you have a small amount of roof area available for your solar system (remember, a high efficiency 250 watt panel is smaller than a standard 250 watt panel). Therefore, you can fit more panels into a limited roof area.

If you have enough roof area, as most people do, the high efficiency panels NEVER pay off better than the standard panels.

These Costco panels appear to be about 3.25ft x 5.3 ft.
Are those high efficiency panel dimensions?
If so, how do stock efficiency panel dimensions compare?
Also, with my 985kWh consumption for the month, what size system is needed?

I was looking at the data from a forum member's system:

It appears that even with a 6kw system, you will fall short especially at this time of year

Mothernaturesolar said:
And is having only a 10yrs material and workmanship warranty the norm? For the system as a whole? Yes.

Is 18% efficiency high end or just average? High end.

The average efficiency is between 14% to 16% for solar panels. But keep in mind, efficiency is primarily a smoke screen by solar companies so that they can charge higher prices. But a high efficiency 250 watt panel doesn't put out more power than a standard 250 watt panel, it just puts out the same amount of power with a smaller panel. It's quite unimportant if your panels cover 100 square feet less of your roof with high efficiency panels than with standard panels. Do you think anyone would ever notice or care? What you really need to know is- How much are you going to pay for each watt produced?

A 4 kw system with standard 250 watt panels is no different than a 4 kw system with high efficiency 250 watt panels. The standard system has 16 panels, the high efficiency system has 16 panels. The high efficiency panels will take about 25% less roof area, therefore they put out more power per square foot; but, they still only produce 4 kws, just like the standard panels. The important differences are- 1) a standard 4 kw system is much cheaper 2) a standard 4 kw system coupled with Enphase M215 inverters will actually outproduce a 4 kw system of high efficiency panels coupled with a DC inverter 3) you pay much more per watt produced for high efficiency panels than with standard panels.

With standard panels, you'll pay anywhere from $3.69 to $6.00 per watt installed, and with the high efficiency panels you'll be lucky to be below $6.00 a watt, and often the price will be higher.

The only time to consider high efficiency panels is when you have a small amount of roof area available for your solar system (remember, a high efficiency 250 watt panel is smaller than a standard 250 watt panel). Therefore, you can fit more panels into a limited roof area.

If you have enough roof area, as most people do, the high efficiency panels NEVER pay off better than the standard panels.

Are those high efficiency panel dimensions? No, that's the standard size

If so, how do stock efficiency panel dimensions compare? 2.5ft x 5ft

Also, with my 985kWh consumption for the month, what size system is needed? With south-facing panels, a 6.75kw system will cover all your consumption. But you would actually need a smaller system, from 5.5kw to 6kw, to reduce your bill to zero since you'll receive the solar benefits of time-of-use billing.

It appears that even with a 6kw system, you will fall short especially at this time of year. You stock up your excess solar credits during the summer with time-of-use billing, and use them during the winter.

Mothernaturesolar said:
Are those high efficiency panel dimensions? No, that's the standard size

If so, how do stock efficiency panel dimensions compare? 2.5ft x 5ft

Also, with my 985kWh consumption for the month, what size system is needed? With south-facing panels, a 6.75kw system will cover all your consumption. But you would actually need a smaller system, from 5.5kw to 6kw, to reduce your bill to zero since you'll receive the solar benefits of time-of-use billing.

It appears that even with a 6kw system, you will fall short especially at this time of year. You stock up your excess solar credits during the summer with time-of-use billing, and use them during the winter.

Here is the forum member's system output for today...12/29/2012:
Today's total output: 8.97 kWh
Past 7 days: 47.3 kWh
Month to date: 244kWh

https://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/public/systems/QDVT52503" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So this is around a 7kW system with 31 panels I believe.
And yet I am consuming on average 26-30kWh per day....and this huge system would have only covered 1/3 of my energy needs today?

And for the past 7 days, you can see the average was under 7kWh per day.

Is this because of the time of year? And if so, it would seem it would be hard to go too big, considering this is 31 panels.
And out of 7kWh generated, That wouldn't even power the LEAF L2 charging for 2 hrs. I would need more than double that to charge my LEAF battery daily.

And yet I am consuming on average 26-30kWh per day....and this huge system would have only covered 1/3 of my energy needs today?

Elroy, the numbers are down because it's been cloudy and raining in Roseville all month. Solar panels don't run on clouds or rain. Even without clouds or rain, panels have less production in the winter cause the sun is low, and more in the summer cause the sun is high.

If Con Edison has cheap baseline charges like PGE, and if they're 4,800 kwh per year like PGE, a good size system for you would be 4.25kws. It would produce 7,437 kwh's per year (facing due south), and therefore would reduce your electric bill comfortably into the cheap baseline electric charges.

I just noticed that his house is now producing electricity on the other side of the roof which was pretty much dormant earlier today. So perhaps he doesn't have a south facing roof? If so, how much difference would that have made in total output?
Still not bad, he will probably just about hit 16kWh for the day. That would have covered my 30 miles of driving/testing today.
As far as my whole household usage, I used 47.4kWh total yesterday. I am currenty in tier 2 of the TOU EV rate.

Mothernaturesolar said:

Elroy, the numbers are down because it's been cloudy and raining in Roseville all month. Solar panels don't run on clouds or rain. Even without clouds or rain, panels have less production in the winter cause the sun is low, and more in the summer cause the sun is high.

If Con Edison has cheap baseline charges like PGE, and if they're 4,800 kwh per year like PGE, a good size system for you would be 4.25kws. It would produce 7,437 kwh's per year (facing due south), and therefore would reduce your electric bill comfortably into the cheap baseline electric charges.

So perhaps he doesn't have a south facing roof? If so, how much difference would that have made in total output? Approx half of his panels face due east, and the other half face due west. He loses 11% of what he would have otherwise produced with due south facing panels.

Still not bad, he will probably just about hit 16kWh for the day. That would have covered my 30 miles of driving/testing today. The general benchmark is 4 miles driven per 1 hour of charging. So, your 30 miles driven was powered by 7 1/2 kwhs, not 16.

Mothernaturesolar said:
So perhaps he doesn't have a south facing roof? If so, how much difference would that have made in total output? Approx half of his panels face due east, and the other half face due west. He loses 11% of what he would have otherwise produced with due south facing panels.

Still not bad, he will probably just about hit 16kWh for the day. That would have covered my 30 miles of driving/testing today. The general benchmark is 4 miles driven per 1 hour of charging. So, your 30 miles driven was powered by 7 1/2 kwhs, not 16.

I think perhaps you mean 4 miles/hr at L1 charging. I am at L2 charging (3.8kw), with an estimated 5hrs of charge needed to cover the 36 miles of driving I did.
3.88kw x 5 hrs= 19.4 kWh to cover the 36 miles of driving I did today. So that 31 panel system would have covered only about 80% of my LEAF's charging needs today. (15.6kWh)

Today's driving took 9 bars on the GOM out of 10 (80% charge). So only 1 bar remaining..
I just don't think that 7 1/2 kWh would cover 9 bars of charging. Considering 7.5kWh is only about 1/3 of the battery capacity, and I am quite certain 9bars on the GOM is more than 1/3 of the battery capacity.
Also, if I charged to 100% (12bars), It will typically get me only about 6-9 miles more of normal driving.

20121230202659254.jpg

20121230202632723.jpg

3.88kw x 5 hrs= 19.4 kWh to cover the 36 miles of driving I did today. If you're only getting 1.83 miles per kwh (36 miles driven/19.4 kwh), something is haywire.

But you're not getting 1.83 miles per kwh, your own car is telling you that you got 3.2 miles per kwh. The maximum you can get out of a Leaf is 4.5 miles per kwh, but you have to drive 50 on the freeway, leave the heater off, etc. Most people average 3.75 to 4 miles per kwh. No reason why you shouldn't, too.

Mothernaturesolar said:
3.88kw x 5 hrs= 19.4 kWh to cover the 36 miles of driving I did today. If you're only getting 1.83 miles per kwh (36 miles driven/19.4 kwh), something is haywire.

But you're not getting 1.83 miles per kwh, your own car is telling you that you got 3.2 miles per kwh. The maximum you can get out of a Leaf is 4.5 miles per kwh, but you have to drive 50 on the freeway, leave the heater off, etc. Most people average 3.75 to 4 miles per kwh. No reason why you shouldn't, too.

Well remember at 85% efficiency, of 3850 watts, only about 3272 watts actually makes it into the battery.
And 5hrs indicated is realistically 4.5 hrs. (the charge time is usually pessimistic)

So 4.5hrs x 3272watts= 14.72kwh into the battery.

But your right...hard to believe using up 9 bars on the GOM is still leaving almost 8-10kWh of battery capacity unused?

Interestingly enough, this morning before I even drove the car. From 80% charge to 100% according to my phone App would have only been 1.5hrs more charge time. So figure that into the equation.

I did have a few runs up to 91mph during my testing, so you would think my miles/kWh reading should be lower.

ELROY said:
Are those high efficiency panel dimensions?
I would say those are normal efficiency dimensions.
ELROY said:
If so, how do stock efficiency panel dimensions compare?
By way of comparison, my ~2 YO Sharp 235W panels are precisely the same size as these panels. That is not a coincidence, since standard panels have 60 cells each and the cells are all cut from 8" silicon wafers. Any differences in dimensions are due to differences in the frame designs.
ELROY said:
Also, with my 985kWh consumption for the month, what size system is needed?
As mentioned by others, I would not recommend sizing a system based on production in December, but rather you should size to either match annual electricity consumption to annual electricity production OR to match annual *value* of production to annual *cost* of consumption if using time-of-use metering.
ELROY said:
I was looking at the data from a forum member's system:
It appears that even with a 6kw system, you will fall short especially at this time of year
I will also recommend against using production information from someone else's system unless you are SURE that you are in the same climate (i.e. you are nearby) AND your roof(s) point in a similar direction AND you have similar shading characteristics.

In the case of the solar array you have linked to, I will say that this system will tend to underperform some similarly sized systems in the same area by 20% or more. This is not due to any fault of the owner or the system installer, but it is simply a function of the roof itself. Specifically, this house does not have a south-facing roof. Instead, the solar panels are located on east- and west-facing roofs. That will typically reduce production by about 15%. (In fact it is possible that an east-facing array will outperform a south-facing array if there are consistent afternoon clouds. Unfortunately, there is no way to know this for sure based on existing government insolation data since they do not break it down by hour of production. But that is more likely to happen in Florida than in California.) Having arrays that point East and West also has the result that wintertime production is drastically lower than summertime production. You can see this effect in the production curves for the system you have linked. This type of very high seasonal variation can also occur with a south-facing roof, but it depends on the slope of the roof and the latitude. A very shallow roof in the U.S will have a large difference between summertime and wintertime and a steeper roof will have a smaller difference. A *very* steep south-facing roof will have production peaks in the spring and fall rather than in the summertime.

The bottom line is that a system on *your* house will likely greatly outperform the system on this house during the months of December and January. Also, a system on your house will likely outperform this system year-round by a little bit if you have a more PV-friendly roof orientation. If you can provide us details about the compass directions of your roof and its pitch along with your location, we can probably give you advice which is much more specific to your situation.

BTW, the Costco system looks pretty nice to me. But please note that I do not live in CA and cannot get a system installed as cheaply here.

Mothernaturesolar said:
5.7? Wow! Do you do a lot of downhill driving? Haha.

Seriously, wow. I bet he drives down hill both ways. I probably average ~3.5 with lots of heat use in the winter and lots of fast freeway driving.

QueenBee said:
Mothernaturesolar said:

Seriously, wow. I bet he drives down hill both ways. I probably average ~3.5 with lots of heat use in the winter and lots of fast freeway driving.

Okay, so the actual amount of time it took to charge the LEAF for the 36 miles of driving was 3hrs 46 minutes. (L2/16A)
Which is about $2.43 of electricity costs (.17 cents kWh). On the other hand I lost 2 bars in 3 miles of driving this morning, and that is without any heater usage. I have 8 bars now. The GOM is pretty wild to say the least.

Mothernaturesolar said:

I rarely use my brakes, I coast in Eco for regen and slowing the vehicle. I learned to look ahead and anticipate lights, traffic patterns etc. I use the frontage roads, never the highway, so I am usually at 45 or under. In Tucson I never need the heat. Thats about it.

So if you someone were to buy this 7.99kW Sharp Solar Panel set for $6999, that comes out to only .88 cents a watt.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-99KW-Sharp-235W-Mono-Solar-Panel-NU-U235F9-BX-60-Mono-Solar-Cell-Panel-/170908722559" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

So what other costs will be involved?
Looks like 34 Panels. Is this a good deal for grade "B" panels?
How much do M215 Enphase micro inverters cost?

If it is so expensive for labor here in So Cal, what are the alternatives?
Would it be worthwhile, or difficult to get your own electrician certification? Are classes expensive?

Back