Is Carwings glitchy for you?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm assured that, as of around 4pm yesterday, CarWings is A-OK again.

I've been out of town and haven't used my LEAF at all (Vegas run), and probably won't get a real chance to now until Wednesday (though I can find the time to do so tomorrow morning, if need be), so can you guys comfirm that all is now well?

All functions working nicely now. Response less than 30 seconds.

If this level of availability can me maintained I will happily subscribe.

Had another Carwings Remote timer app failure this morning. Timer set OK last night, but "difficulty communicating with the car" at 6:45 am. No fun driving with no heat at 11 degrees, but without preheat, too much range loss to safely make the round trip (if I have to heat the water bath from scratch on the outbound leg).

I have not been able to communicate with the car using the owner's portal website, the Nissan iOS app, or LEAF Link iOS app since Dec 20 4:24pm. I just chatted EV support and my one week old ticket is still open. Just as other's glitchy behavior subsided, my communication success rate dropped to 0. I still see driving history updates: the most recent being Dec 23.

I'm so dissappointed in this company.

Randmac said:
I have not been able to communicate with the car using the owner's portal website, the Nissan iOS app, or LEAF Link iOS app

Randmac: sorry to learn of your continuing issues. The last few days I've been able to reach my vehicle's CARWINGS account successfully in all the ways you mention. Just now I tried again to verify. Worked fine on Nissan's iOS app, LEAF Link, the Nissan Owners Portal, and GreenCharge.

My car is in the garage and plugged in to my L2 charging station, ambient temperature about 30F. My iOS apps work on my iPhone5, my wife's iPhone4S, my MacBook Pro, and my iPad Mini, all running up-to-date software. I tried connecting my iPhone using home wi-fi and AT&T's LTE cellular data service...both worked very well.

At this point if you haven't already, you may wish to call Nissan at (877) 664-2738, option 1 for English, then option 6 for CARWINGS/telematics to open up another trouble ticket and close out your original one.

I was able to start my climate control remotely this morning (as well as the past few days) with no problems, using the IOS LEAFLink app.

Please try the following: in your car, try instigating a Carwings request, for example, try to update nearby charging stations. If this fails, you probably have a problem in your car. Try pulling the appropriate fuse:

To clear the TCU there is a much easier fix. Just remove the fuse F34 from the fuse compartment below the battery for 30 seconds:

img0469k.jpg

I have done that 2 times to solve the problem. According to the service manual F34 supplies power to the TCU so there is no lost data with this procedure.
If this does not do the job, you may need to visit your dealer.

I was having the issues last week during the outage like everyone else. Seemed to be fixed when y'all said it was but then yesterday it was again failing on both start charge and start climate. Had to go to garage to start charging from 80 to 100.

I'll try again tonight what I get home.

palmermd said:
I was having the issues last week during the outage like everyone else. Seemed to be fixed when y'all said it was but then yesterday it was again failing on both start charge and start climate.
+1. After working for 3 days for me, status update and starting CC remotely failed again for me this morning. :evil:

TT

normal "Charging stopped" text message at 04:55 pst (80% endtime-only timer).

"Climate control on request failed" at 05:45 pst. CC request initiated via the LEAF Link app timer function (set to 05:45), but since the failure notification was text message from Carwings, I am assuming the request was sent successfully.

Didn't want to work for me this morning. I tried to do a manual charge, tried to get status, and tried to start climate control. All failed. I had to make an extra trip this morning, so I'll be on LBW or VLBW when I get home tonight. I really could have used that 100% charge today. It was in the 30's this morning, so a warm car would have really been nice too.

ttweed said:
palmermd said:
I was having the issues last week during the outage like everyone else. Seemed to be fixed when y'all said it was but then yesterday it was again failing on both start charge and start climate.
+1. After working for 3 days for me, status update and starting CC remotely failed again for me this morning. :evil:

TT

Agree, it's starting off just like last time -- a few days of intermittent problems which then led up to a complete outage. Hopefully Nissan can nip this episode in the bud and get a permanent fix installed.

ksnogas2112 said:
worked just fine within the last hour
Yes, status just updated OK for me right now. Somebody must have rebooted something again. All in all, this is pretty marginal behavior for such an important corporate system so many people use. Hardly "enterprise" quality.

TT

This is Jonathan from Nissan.

Nissan and our vendors have been carefully monitoring CARWINGS performance as well as social media, forums and blogs and are aware of the intermittent connectivity issues that some customers have continued to experience this week. Due to the intermittent nature of the issues that these customers are experiencing and the localized impact of weather on cellular availability, we have decided to evaluate some vehicles directly via remote diagnostics to trace and determine specific cause. If you are experiencing recurring connectivity issues and would like to give us permission to use your vehicle specifically for remote testing, please contact our call center at 877-664-2738 or via live chat on the LEAF website today or Monday. We sincerely appreciate your patience and support as we work through these issues – this is the highest priority for our technical organization to address and resolve.

Best regards,
Jonathan

Mine has been great since the "Big Fix" (whatever that happened to be...and as an IT guy I'd still kinda like to know).

A bit longer to log into the app than I'd perhaps like, but super-snappy responses to given commands.

mwalsh said:
Mine has been great since the "Big Fix" (whatever that happened to be...and as an IT guy I'd still kinda like to know).

A bit longer to log into the app than I'd perhaps like, but super-snappy responses to given commands.

Same here. It's worked as well as it ever has in the 3 months I've had the car (oooh, I wish I could step into a time machine and give myself my 2011 LEAF back in 2011! Haha...).

But that in and of itself means that it's sub-par performance. The app's still slightly rough around the edges. A big, persistent, and "in the nature of the app" bug (so it should be observed by every other user as well) still persists. Multitasking kills this app. On most Android phones and the iPhone, they multitask by keeping background apps in memory unless the phone's resources are needed for other things. So when I've used the LEAF app recently, it'll show me a "good to go" app when I haven't done enough else on my phone to push LEAF out of memory. So when I go back to the app and it hasn't closed an hour or two later, it still thinks I'm logged in until I hit a button like "refresh" or "start CC". So if I fire up my phone and the LEAF app once, it loads with the proper "Nissan"... "Verifying user information"... "What do you want to do?" program flow. But if I then click off my phone, derp around for a few hours, maybe start playing some music on the phone throughout the day (I make full use of the LEAF's Bluetooth stereo!), then go back to the app, then not enough had been done yet to "clear" LEAF out of memory. LEAF opens back up to the same page I was at, and doesn't realize the login has timed out already. So I actually *have* to do something to trigger its "Session timed out, please login again" error.

Honestly, that ^ behavior should have been caught during beta testing in my opinion. :roll:

Additionally, the longest the whole request should take is the amount of time the app takes to "send request". Instead, it takes a few seconds to "send request" and then 10-30 seconds to actually get the job done. Those delays - the login timeout problem, the "sending request", and the time it takes to process the request, move the app out of "something I would subconsciously do as I'm considering leaving" into "well, I need to plan around this task and I'll just skip it if it's not important"... it really needs to respond quicker overall in my opinion.

Make it respond on the scale of quickness as in this commercial, and I will have no qualms: http://youtu.be/ZFrvxjjrdVo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NissanLEAF said:
This is Jonathan from Nissan.

Nissan and our vendors have been carefully monitoring CARWINGS performance as well as social media, forums and blogs and are aware of the intermittent connectivity issues that some customers have continued to experience this week. Due to the intermittent nature of the issues that these customers are experiencing and the localized impact of weather on cellular availability, we have decided to evaluate some vehicles directly via remote diagnostics to trace and determine specific cause. If you are experiencing recurring connectivity issues and would like to give us permission to use your vehicle specifically for remote testing, please contact our call center at 877-664-2738 or via live chat on the LEAF website today or Monday. We sincerely appreciate your patience and support as we work through these issues – this is the highest priority for our technical organization to address and resolve.

Best regards,
Jonathan

Thanks for monitoring the situation. I've switched from setting the timer via the app the evening before, to turning on the heat when I first get up, and haven't had any more problems or communication failures since the 28th.

Back