Marketing suggestion - fuel dollars per mile (or 100 miles)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlsoaz

I don't have regular access to conventional TV and advertising, ....has Nissan done any prominent TV or other ads which feature side-by-side comparisons of fuel-dollars per mile (or 100 miles)? I see some good discussions on a glance search here in the MNL forums as to these costs, but, at first glance, nothing in the suggestions forum.

I suggest (if Nissan hasn't done this already) a TV and other ad medium idea along the lines of side-by-side comparisons, something like:

[Left Side of screen] ||||||| [Right Side of Screen]

Conventional Gasoline-powered vehicle ||||||| Nissan Leaf

Fuel cost: $12 per 100 miles ||||||| Electricity Cost: $4 per 100 miles

[exact numbers for both sides of screen depend on gasoline cost, electricity cost, comparison model of ICV, whether the EV charges at public stations or just at home, and perhaps other factors.]

It could be an active screen throughout the commercial so that the numbers added up over the miles as one watched.

Of course, there is also potential for incorporating other costs (Insurance, maintenance, repair, etc.)

that would be one way to advertise but problem is putting too much info into a 30 second commercial. for me, i could say its $2.50 for 100 miles in the LEAF, $7 for the Prius and $12 in my In-Laws Kia Soul

DaveinOlyWA said:
that would be one way to advertise but problem is putting too much info into a 30 second commercial. for me, i could say its $2.50 for 100 miles in the LEAF, $7 for the Prius and $12 in my In-Laws Kia Soul

Hi Dave, I don't think this is a problem. One can readily identify some EPA-data-based numbers for some comparably-sized (midsized?) mainstream ICV... whichever comparison vehicles Nissan marketing determines is most appropriate.

I'd say something along the lines of an Accord or Camry or Fusion ICV? I don't know the exact sizes.

From there, if one wanted to compare also to include NPHEVs or PHEVs, then a Prius or Prius Plug-in or C-Max Energi or the like could be included. The Volt is a bit smaller on interior space, but I suppose could be included.

For one 30 second commercial, I reckon just one Camry or Accord, or perhaps some nameless ICV combinatory number, as compared to a Leaf..... that would work to keep the info down. It might have some built-in drama if the odometer changes as the commercial goes by to show a build-up to 100 or 1000 or 12,000 or whatever mileage works best to illustrate, by the time 30 (or 15) seconds comes around.

I could see someone asking about fuel savings. Such as potential buyer confused that he could save 20% and the answer is no you save 80% you only pay 20%. Then the bulb comes on and he says you mean the fuel savings will actually make the full lease payment? Compared to that SUV, you bet.

we definitely need to get away from "this is the only car you will need" message since that is not true for 90+ % of the households. Now maybe a commercial with someone doing the budget and having line items viewable

fuel $$
Mini Van.... $150
LEAF....... $35

DaveinOlyWA said:
we definitely need to get away from "this is the only car you will need" message since that is not true for 90+ % of the households.

Agreed. A big factor for me in my own Leaf experience. I did understand going in that I would have to retain my ICV, but it's still annoying and an important financial point that affects all my equations significantly.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Now maybe a commercial with someone doing the budget and having line items viewable
fuel $$
Mini Van.... $150
LEAF....... $35

While I agree that we need to get away from implying that for most people it's the only car you need (I don't know about a 90% figure, but for "a lot" of Leaf drivers it's not the only car they need), to keep things on-point for a single commercial idea, I think that with some effort, there could be a decent message that does not mislead people. Your idea may be a good workaround in this case. As I say, I sort of like the idea of a tally running up as the commercial progresses, so rather than just the static numbers, one where the numbers are visible throughout the days/weeks/months and then you see the final tally and understand why a Leaf's low operating costs for fuel (electricity) are a very good point for some.

I seem to remember marketing materials Nissan had a couple of years ago that were kind of the converse of the idea in this thread. It put a whole different spin on "range anxiety." It was something like, how far can you go on $20 (or $1, or $100).

E.g., $20 spent at a gas station then would buy 5 gallons of gas which would take your 12 MPG SUV 60 miles, or your Prius 250 miles. The same $20 spent on electricity would buy 167 kWh which would take your LEAF 667 miles.

Too bad they never really advertised it widely.

DaveinOlyWA said:
90 percent that "need" another car besides the LEAF

Hi Dave:

I think I understood your basic point. I'm one of the people who needs another car besides the Leaf, no quotation marks necessary in my case.

My point was, and is,your claim of an exact number of "90%", a number which you keep repeating. Do you have any actual evidence for this exact figure of 90%?

Note that there is this one number of somewhere between 73 and 81% (19% having one EV and no ICV, and another 8% having two EVs or more and no ICV), which I get from this very small-sample non-scientific poll from this forum:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=10461" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Besides the suggestion re: ads, perhaps Nissan should put something into the car similar to what the Prius c has where you can put in the avg. cost of fuel along w/the mpg your previous/other car gets.

When you shut off the Prius c, it can tell you how much you saved vs. the other car (and/or I think it can tell you the trip cost).

To see what I'm talking about, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FngoNwMDQWY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; from 0:46 to 1:15, then 1:57 to the end.

jlsoaz said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Hi Dave:

I think I understood your basic point. I'm one of the people who needs another car besides the Leaf, no quotation marks necessary in my case.

My point was, and is,your claim of an exact number of "90%", a number which you keep repeating. Do you have any actual evidence for this exact figure of 90%?

Note that there is this one number of somewhere between 73 and 81% (19% having one EV and no ICV, and another 8% having two EVs or more and no ICV), which I get from this very small-sample non-scientific poll from this forum:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=10461" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

what i actually said is "90+%" which is based on transportation study of individual trips from home where 93% are under 40 miles round trip. (done in 2007 i think...but the length of trips have been declining)

as far as personal unscientific poll, that is nearly impossible to quantify. for example;

my in-laws drive a F-150 and a Kia Soul. both have round trip commutes under 10 miles. so the only time they would need more mileage is when they go visiting. they rarely shop out of town and since their Son moved back to Olympia from Salem, OR about the only time they leave town is to go camping... FYI; we frequently join them and have only taken the Prius one time in the past 2 years so most of their camping journeys maybe be beyond the 50 mile RT parameters but is still doable by the LEAF. here is a pix from Ocean Shores WA a 72 mile one way trip. not applicable to the discussion but...

DSC_1635.JPG

Other camping destinations; Hoodsport; 46 miles RT
Port Townsend; 52 miles RT, etc you get the picture. so all very reachable and none of these places are "compromises." i think many people are realizing that good places to go are not always necessarily a long way off.

for anyone I know well, its pretty much the same. I drive all over as part of my job and I have a close friend who does the same as part of his. I know a half dozen people who work several miles from home but none drive. they go from their home to the a park and ride including me about 75% of the time. this also includes two people who have only started van pooling this year. Both absolutely love it and lament they did not do it sooner.

but keep in mind; for this household combo to work, only one of the two have to have a driving need under 50 miles for the LEAF to work. Right now, the Prius gets driven frequently because there are two of us and it needs to be driven otherwise it will have problems (12 volt battery problems are way too common these days. its funny that auto manufacturers put all these power needs onto the 12 volt battery without any regard to long term viability)

but my scientific poll showed several months where 100% of trips were under 40 miles. had my sister who is unique in that her SO's kids live 40 miles away so they take turns either picking them up 40 miles away or meeting "halfway" (which is about 30 miles away...not sure how that works out to half...) and even with those special circumstances, she is just now getting below 90% but only because of the holidays and additional trips they dont normally make.

so ya, i stick by my statement "90+%"

walterbays said:
I seem to remember marketing materials Nissan had a couple of years ago that were kind of the converse of the idea in this thread. It put a whole different spin on "range anxiety." It was something like, how far can you go on $20 (or $1, or $100).

E.g., $20 spent at a gas station then would buy 5 gallons of gas which would take your 12 MPG SUV 60 miles, or your Prius 250 miles. The same $20 spent on electricity would buy 167 kWh which would take your LEAF 667 miles.

Too bad they never really advertised it widely.

Interesting.

cwerdna said:
Besides the suggestion re: ads, perhaps Nissan should put something into the car similar to what the Prius c has where you can put in the avg. cost of fuel along w/the mpg your previous/other car gets.

When you shut off the Prius c, it can tell you how much you saved vs. the other car (and/or I think it can tell you the trip cost).

To see what I'm talking about, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FngoNwMDQWY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; from 0:46 to 1:15, then 1:57 to the end.

I watched the video and it does seem like an interesting idea. There seem to be a lot of cool-idea information capabilities that can be bundled into cars, especially with plug-in cars, where there are new and different information focuses. I can't say I'd use it for sure since I personally seem to use only a small percent of the information points they build into cars/computers/phones/etc., but I might.

DaveinOlyWA said:
jlsoaz said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
[...]My point was, and is,your claim of an exact number of "90%", a number which you keep repeating. Do you have any actual evidence for this exact figure of 90%?

what i actually said is "90+%" which is based on transportation study of individual trips from home where 93% are under 40 miles round trip. (done in 2007 i think...but the length of trips have been declining)

as far as personal unscientific poll, that is nearly impossible to quantify. for example;

[...]
but my scientific poll showed several months where 100% of trips were under 40 miles. had my sister who is unique in that her SO's kids live 40 miles away so they take turns either picking them up 40 miles away or meeting "halfway" (which is about 30 miles away...not sure how that works out to half...) and even with those special circumstances, she is just now getting below 90% but only because of the holidays and additional trips they dont normally make.

so ya, i stick by my statement "90+%"

Hi Dave:

The "transportation study" you mention - is this just you performing some sort of research? Or is there a formal study somewhere you are trying to cite? Can you provide a link? I'm not sure what can be made of the personal annecdotes you run through, but, in any event, I'm not arguing the point that "a lot" of people need a gasoline or diesel vehicle as a second car. I have yet to see a defensible statement of exact percent of BEV buyers who need a gasoline or diesel vehicle to supplement the BEV.

I do like that the poll we have here in the forum in itself suggests that one avenue to research would be not so much what potential BEV drivers claim, or what researchers claim, but rather what actual drivers choose. To give results some defensibility, we would need a more legitimate sampling procedure and study. It might be interesting if PIA or others were to look into this and shed some light on it, but maybe that has already been done.

Getting back to the point of the thread (my suggestion for marketing, zeroing in on the $ fuel savings), I don't think it's important to settle the exact percent, but instead I can simply acknowledge that the point is taken as a very good point that in many cases, a household will not be able to have only a BEV but may still need a HCV (hydrocarbon fueled vehicle, I think I'll try that acronym for awhile) for some of its miles, and so Leaf marketing should take this into account. Within the specifics of the video ad envisioned here, a way to do that might be to present a two-vehicle household and a running tally over the course of the commercial as to fuel dollars spent, and then on the other side of the screen, substitute out one of the gasoline vehicles for a Leaf and show that tally and see how things shape up.

This thread has also got me to thinking about tie-ins to other suggestions that have been made to Nissan as to trying to faciliate Leaf driver access to HCV for those times when the vehicles are needed. For example, there might be a car-sharing service that might offer access, or some sort of special deal that a Leaf driver could have with the local Nissan dealership for occassional lease or rental, or perhaps an agreement with an established car rental company. Perhaps a negative could be turned somewhat into a positive where, if Nissan strikes the right chord, it could help Leaf drivers have access to a well-maintained high-mileage Nissan HCV for certain trips, while maintaining the access to the Leaf for other trips.

I'm also trying to figure out if we can make progress on insurance costs. In some cases where there is a one-driver one-car HCV household (like mine) and there is the acquisition of a Leaf, but the retaining of the HCV, then shouldn't insurance adjust not only for the addition of a second car, but the spreading of miles between the two cars? Maybe it already does (have to contact my insurance agent to verify # of annual miles is lowered on my HCV, and see if this saves me money).

Back