Leaf reaches 20,000 reservations, to shut reservations 9/23

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

update : Email is here. The reservation system has been shutdown - till it opens sometime next year.

We are thrilled with the overwhelming enthusiasm people like you have shown for the 100% electric Nissan LEAF™. To date, 20,000 people have already reserved a LEAF - a number that has exceeded our expectations.

We have completed the first phase of reservations. In order to provide the best level of customer service and premium ownership experience to the first Nissan LEAF drivers, we will not be accepting new reservations until the next phase begins. A subsequent phase of reservations will begin next year, after current reservations and orders have been processed.

We're grateful for your understanding and patience as we work to bring this 100% electric car to you.

---------------

Look for an email about this soon ...

Nissan aggressively anticipated reaching its goal of 20,000 consumer reservations by December 2010 and we are excited to announce that we have reached this goal 3 months ahead of schedule! Therefore, on 9/23/10, Nissan will shut down the reservation system in order to focus on providing the best level of customer service and premium ownership experience to those who have already reserved.

All current reservation holders will continue to have the opportunity to purchase or lease a Nissan LEAF. Those who are interested in the Nissan LEAF but have yet to make a reservation are invited to sign up for information and updates on http://www.nissanusa.com. A subsequent phase of reservations for those consumers will begin next year.

So, if you know someone who wanted to reserve but hasn't yet - tell them to do so now.

What is the reason behind this decision? Months ago their goal was 25,000 by december. Are they having trouble producing the Leaf?

stanley said:
What is the reason behind this decision? Months ago their goal was 25,000 by december. Are they having trouble producing the Leaf?

They first said 20K, then they changed it to 25K and now back to 20K.

It makes sense - they would want to go back to letting dealers order the cars and sell them.

I just tried to select "reservation information" at the Nissan Leaf website(http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car), and saw the following screen message:

We're sorry

the page you requested does not exist. You might have typed the address incorrectly,
or the bookmark or link you followed is outdated. Select a link on this page to find your
destination

Perhaps the shutdown has already happened...

Is this real? It really is hard to know what to believe? I thought they were having trouble converting orders? Now we are hearing they sold 20K? There are people on this sight that have said they reserved on 4/20 and still could not order? Does this mean all of 2011 production has been reserved and/or sold? That really is pretty amazing news if that is truly the case.

Consumer reservations peg at 20,000, with an additional 5000 to be sold to fleets.

Timaz said:
Is this real? It really is hard to know what to believe? I thought they were having trouble converting orders? Now we are hearing they sold 20K? There are people on this sight that have said they reserved on 4/20 and still could not order? Does this mean all of 2011 production has been reserved and/or sold? That really is pretty amazing news if that is truly the case.

50K is their production capacity until the Tennessee plant comes online in 2012, maybe late 2012.

25K was the number they planned to send to the US (and Canada?) through 2011. They also have Japan, Europe, and Australia clamoring for cars.

20K was the target for reservations, which they met. I suppose based on whatever conversion rate they are seeing to date, that they are confident with reservations plus fleets plus new walk-ins, that dealers will be able to sell the remainder of their 2011 US allocation of 25K, or whatever they may have revised that number to.

Timaz said:

I think you are getting confused between a reservation and an order. They stopped taking additional reservations as they have enough reservations to sell all the first years production. As far as "sales quotes", I don't know the exact number, but I think they said it is somewhere near 500 right now. The stopped taking orders for a few days, and now (today) they have started that process back up for the remaining 19,500 reservations.

Another lame move by Nissan. Ordering should continue until all are fulfilled even if it takes until 2015.
Maybe Nissan will just take a pause and set up ordering and dashboard 2.0 :roll:

smkettner said:
Another lame move by Nissan. Ordering should continue until all are fulfilled even if it takes until 2015.
Maybe Nissan will just take a pause and set up ordering and dashboard 2.0 :roll:

You're confusing orders with reservations too. They've stopped taking RESERVATIONS not orders.

Here is the email that I just recieved from Nissan:

#name

We are thrilled with the overwhelming enthusiasm people like you have shown for the 100% electric Nissan LEAF™. To date, 20,000 people have already reserved a LEAF - a number that has exceeded our expectations.

We have completed the first phase of reservations. In order to provide the best level of customer service and premium ownership experience to the first Nissan LEAF drivers, we will not be accepting new reservations for the Nissan LEAF until the next phase begins. But please be assured - your order will not be affected and we will continue to process and complete your order. Pausing reservations until the next phase begins will allow us to focus on serving you and others who have already ordered a Nissan LEAF.

We thank you for your interest in going 100% electric.

Now the reason is clearer behind the survey question about delivery time. The Leaf will become more desirable if you can't even reserve it; less desirable if you can order one but it never arrives.

In order to provide the best level of customer service and premium ownership experience to the first Nissan LEAF drivers, we will not be accepting new reservations for the Nissan LEAF until the next phase begins. But please be assured - your order will not be affected and we will continue to process and complete your order. Pausing reservations until the next phase begins will allow us to focus on serving you and others who have already ordered a Nissan LEAF.
This seems perfect for those that have either ordered, or those who are having issues completing their orders. This will allow them to focus on the anxious early adopters, and do what they can to ensure a positive experience (or for those that have not as yet had a positive experience ... to turn that around).

mwalsh said:
smkettner said:

You're confusing orders with reservations too. They've stopped taking RESERVATIONS not orders.

I will word it a little differently:

Another lame move by Nissan. Reservations and ordering should continue until all are fulfilled even if it takes until 2015.

Otherwise are you saying a person can now order without making a reservation?

Did not get an email ...

Set up a new account successfully, but when I got to the dashboard got a message basically reading what SeattleBuleLeaf reported in the email (which I did not receive), plus
we will notify you when reservations are available. in the meantime, feel free to configure your LEAF so when you can reserve, you'll be ready.
Configured it ... same process as before (but no QC option ... but I don't think that gets selected until RAQ). It never asked for $99 or credit card info.

I just got an email from Nissan stating that they have reached 20,000 reservations and are not currently accepting any more...

Back