Using Extension Cord with 110V Charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeezix

I know the manual says not to use an extension cord with the 110V charging unit. I assume the reason is that owners might not use a heavy-duty enough cable and Nissan doesn't want to be liable.

Does anyone know why exactly the manual says this?

Is anyone using an extension cord with no problem?

If I use a heavy duty extension cord, should I have any problems?

Thanks!

skeezix said:
I know the manual says not to use an extension cord with the 110V charging unit. I assume the reason is that owners might not use a heavy-duty enough cable and Nissan doesn't want to be liable.

If I use a heavy duty extension cord, should I have any problems?

Thanks!

Multiple reasons.

- One purpose of the EVSE is to protect you from a live circuit, shorts, arcing, etc.. This is why the wall-plug end of the EVSE is so short. It's not just to be aggravating. That length of cable is always "hot". If you use an extension cord, instead of 6 inches of cord right next to the plug, you suddenly have a 10, 25, 50 foot length of "hot" cable snaking along the ground waiting to be nicked, cut, crushed, shorted, etc...

- An extension cord introduces another set of contacts of unknown quality, which is another opportunity for overheating, water intrusion, shock, etc...

- This is a high-draw application and the user may or may not be familiar with the necessary wire gauge to handle the current for a given cord length, or how to properly handle excess cord -- adds up to risk of overheating and fire.

skeezix said:
My car always has an extension cord packed into the back compartment. It sits right next to the http://www.evseupgrade.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The cord has L6-20 twist lock ends on it with a very heavy oil resistant cord.

You never know when there is going to be a Suburban parked in your way.

I used a 6' cord for the first 5 months continuous on 120v... #14 wire appliance cord.

I have used 50' and 100' extention cords with #12 wire for extended periods (3+ hours) with no issues. That is both 120v & 240v 12 amps.

Just don't leave the cord coiled up.

I use a 25' 12/3 cord frequently with my L1 charger. Never warm and no issues. Its a high grade water/oil resistant cord I custom made. No issues. I have the same thing modified for my L2 charger if I need to take it with me, on 220/240V still no issues...as the car only pulls 12-16amps (from what we have learned) No issues again.

mazdaboi said:
I use a 25' 12/3 cord frequently with my L1 charger. Never warm and no issues. Its a high grade water/oil resistant cord I custom made. No issues. I have the same thing modified for my L2 charger if I need to take it with me, on 220/240V still no issues...as the car only pulls 12-16amps (from what we have learned) No issues again.

I used a heavy duty 12 gauge cord 15ft...no problems. No heat like the previous smaller gauge extension I was previously using.

Re: http://www.evseupgrade.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How long is that extension cord? It is not listed on the site.

ILETRIC said:
Re: http://www.evseupgrade.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How long is that extension cord? It is not listed on the site.
I'm not sure what you are referring to. The EVSE has a 25 foot cord, with about 12 inches between the box and the wall plug, as the electrical code specifies. The adapter that plugs into a standard 120v 15A outlet (NEMA 5-15P) and accepts (L6-20R) the nominally 240v 20A plug on the EVSE is a bit less than 2 feet long. This is not an extension cord, which would be a cord with matching type connectors on both ends. (i.e. one where it would be physically possible to plug one end of the cord into the other.)

Ray

Back