TonyWilliams

Re: Official Toyota RAV4 EV Thread

Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:47 pm

surfingslovak wrote:
TonyWilliams wrote:Idiotic refueling port at the existing gasoline port. I enjoyed trying to walk around the car with the handle sticking out the side. Brought to you with the "Frankenplug" mentality (they wanted it to fit where gasoline goes... apparently that's a benefit for EVs).

Yes, dumb is the key word here. It's been one of my top complaints about the ActiveE as well. But alas, one will resign to this design travesty eventually. Image

I seriously think I would just move it to the nose. I could have two ports.

drees

Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:43 pm

Nice review, Tony. Given the amount of time it took Toyota/Tesla to whip this thing together, imagine what they could do with a normal product development cycle.

I wish they'd stick the drivetrain in the Camry or something - though I imagine it's easier to squeeze the batteries into the RAV4 without compromising road clearance.

How much did Mossy Toyota charge you for the rental?
'11 LEAF SL Powered By 3.24 kW Enphase Solar PV

surfingslovak
Vendor

Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:59 pm

TonyWilliams wrote:I seriously think I would just move it to the nose. I could have two ports.

In that case, I think you might want to watch this. Good looking car otherwise!

Click to open

drees wrote: wish they'd stick the drivetrain in the Camry or something - though I imagine it's easier to squeeze the batteries into the RAV4 without compromising road clearance.

If my source is correct, it was Tesla's suggestion to go with a RAV4 chassis for this EV, and they evaluated all cars/platforms in Toyota's portfolio.

tbleakne
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 2400

Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:48 pm

TonyWilliams wrote:Preliminary data:

75mph - 2.8 m/kWh
70mph - 3.1
65mph - 3.3
60mph - 3.6

Über secret rolling hill test results : 78mph peak vice 81mph for LEAF. Unfortunately, we're not making a completely valid test, since the Rav4 weighs more, but it is surprisingly close. With a 1 foot square box on top of LEAF, it went 73mph. Toyota says 0.30 Cd, and Nissan says 0.29 Cd for LEAF (but with much smaller flat plate area).

Range will be greater in Model S with the same 40kWh battery pack and 0.24 Cd.

In LEAF I am now getting 5.0-5.2 m/kWh quite often on freeway RT doing 54-58 mph.

3.6 m/kWh with charging at 6.6 kW L2 = 24 miles per hour of charge - about 50% better than 2011/2012 LEAF.
If your L2 is actually delivering 208V (quite common, I believe), charge rate would be a little lower.

With RAV4 EV I would hope to get at least 4.0 m/kWh, but it sounds like I might have to drive less than 54 mph to achieve this. As you say, higher frontal area is main problem on level ground. For hill climbing one would also have to derate more for heavier weight.

What is the usable battery capacity in kWh in both Normal and Sport mode ?
LEAF Ocean Blue SL, "100 % Electric" decals, Delivered June 3, 2011
Sold June 2014 27K miles, 18% capacity loss, 1 bar, 5.0 mi/kWh.
Solar 4.6 KW DC with both string and micro-inverters.

JeremyW
Delivery Date: 23 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 19136

Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:56 pm

I picked up the RAV4 early this morning from Roseville Toyota. It's a blast! :)

I put it in B and sport mode for the drive back to work. Amazing. Broke traction numerous times, up to what seemed 30mph. The roads were a bit slick, but still... this thing has a LOT of torque. Tony's right, it's downright nutty. You can get yourself in to trouble pretty easily. Push sport button, win ticket. ;)

The regen in B mode seems stronger than the leaf, but not substantially so. The application is different, with an initial strong negative torque as you lift off the throttle but you still need to use the brakes to come to a complete stop. Will do some power hill climbing (and regen-ing) tomorrow.
I tested the hauling capability by moving a couch. The timing was perfect, as I had recently gotten a good deal on one from a coworker. It luckily splits in two sections, and the back seats in the RAV4 go down flat. Seemed similar to the cargo capabilities of my old 2002 Honda CR-V.

More to follow. Haven't even fiddled much with the nav.

Oh and my efficiency for the last few trips was 2.8 mi/kWh. :shock: :?
Former 2012 SL leasee 6/23/12 - 9/23/15
Now driving Honda Fit EV, License plate: CHADEMO
2000 Honda Insight for long trips

surfingslovak
Vendor

Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:11 pm

JeremyW wrote:Oh and my efficiency for the last few trips was 2.8 mi/kWh. :shock: :?

Not to worry! The dash in my ActiveE proudly displays 3.0 miles per kWh. It just takes some getting used to :lol:

TonyWilliams

Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:21 pm

Ok, here it is. 100% "extended" (range charge in Tesla-speak) with 130.1 miles driven. This is "Very Low Battery", and still shows one segment of the 16 Fuel Bar segments. It probably still had a few miles left in it:

The 240 volt estimate is at 10kW (40 amps). Only the Tesla Roadster chargers in public can do this (Clipper Creek CS100). So, for lowly 6.6kW (30 amps), add a few hours:

abasile
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2011

Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:38 pm

Very cool, Tony! Did that 130 miles include your trip to Julian? How fast were you driving?
2011 LEAF at 68K miles, pre-owned 2012 Tesla S 85 at 85K miles
LEAF battery: 10/12 bars and < 49 Ah (-27% vs. new)
Tesla battery: 250+ miles of range (-5% vs. new)

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:50 pm

Very cool that you've handily beat the EPA rated range, including some freeway driving.
TonyWilliams wrote:When walking ul to the car, it will automatically unlock the door. Pushing the door button then relics the car. Very frustrating coming from Nissan / Infiniti cars.

You sure about that? Typical Toyota Smart Key System behavior is that the interior lights turn on as you approach it w/the smart key. Only when you touch the rear of the door handles do the doors unlock, confirmed by a two beeps. Pushing the black button locks the doors and that is its ONLY action. On newer Toyotas w/SKS (like the '10+ Prius), the black button has been replaced by two ridges that you can push on/squeeze on.

On Nissans w/smart key (Intelligent Key in Nissan parlance), the black button serves both lock and unlock functions. I dislike that.
Last edited by cwerdna on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

TonyWilliams

Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:52 pm

abasile wrote:Very cool, Tony! Did that 130 miles include your trip to Julian? How fast were you driving?

Yep. 4000 feet up and down, plus some time at 85mph on the freeway (it has to be in "sport" mode to hit over 100mph, which I forgot at the time).

I just drove "normal" the rest of the time, with the A/C on "ECO Hi". Here's a picture of the economy going up to Julian (left column) and coming back:

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”