New 3kW Modular Add-On Battery Pack for LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyWilliams

abasile said:
My point was, in the absence of workplace charging in my particular case or a super long commute as in the OP's case, adding a bit more battery capacity could make a significant difference in the utility of the car.

A California company with 5 years of doing plug-in conversions for Prius is now offering a 3kWh modular add-on battery pack for the LEAF. These are perfect for cars losing capacity, or for those times when you just need a little more range and there's no place to charge at your destination. Easily transferred to and from your car.

Plus, they are fully equipped with their own high tech BMS, charger and state of the art Lithium Manganese chemistry cells. Two year warranty. Shipped to you and easy to install. The cheapest version just has a simple inverter and J1772 plug to charge your car. About 10-12 more miles per module. About 60 pounds each:

$3495

Each pack is approximately 9" wide x 14" deep x 11" high. You should be able to fit 4 of these packs in the trunk, for 12 kWh total (approximately 36" wide x 14" x 11" high) for 40-48 additional miles.

It's not yet on their website (sorry, I didn't get a picture yet) but you can contact them at:

858-486-9972
[email protected]

TonyWilliams said:
Plus, they are fully equipped with their own high tech BMS, charger and state of the art Lithium Manganese chemistry cells. Two year warranty. Shipped to you and easy to install. The cheapest version just has a simple inverter and J1772 plug to charge your car. About 10-12 more miles per module. About 60 pounds each:

So is the idea that you will pull out a J1772 cord and wrap it around your car in the parking lot at work. So your car will appear to be "charging itself?"

adric22 said:
TonyWilliams said:

So is the idea that you will pull out a J1772 cord and wrap it around your car in the parking lot at work. So your car will appear to be "charging itself?"

Yes. It's simple and portable. Transferable to other cars.

Option is to have it hard wired (without the J1772), but that would require installation.

smkettner said:
So $14,000 and I still have to stop and charge to go the extra 48 miles? Pass.

Lets see, a brand new LEAF at $199 lease just might be the perfect car for folks who need Rav4 EV range at $599 month.

The simplest version is "portable and transferable", where a 12kWh version at 250 pounds would not be. Yes, that would still be "modular", but you would want it installed and "hard wired".

Sorry, I don't have a price for that.

smkettner said:

Just add another $8000 and buy another Leaf :!: . You tow one until the other one runs out of battery, then you swtich :lol:.

But seriously, if I had to go through all this trouble, I would not go or I would rent. Much cheaper either way.

EDIT: If there was trailer/range-extender that I could rent, I would look at that first even if it is ICE.

TonyWilliams said:
abasile said:
My point was, in the absence of workplace charging in my particular case or a super long commute as in the OP's case, adding a bit more battery capacity could make a significant difference in the utility of the car.

A California company with 5 years of doing plug-in conversions for Prius is now offering a 3kWh modular add-on battery pack for the LEAF. These are perfect for cars losing capacity, or for those times when you just need a little more range and there's no place to charge at your destination. Easily transferred to and from your car.

$3495

Each pack is approximately 9" wide x 14" deep x 11" high. You should be able to fit 4 of these packs in the trunk, for 12 kWh total (approximately 36" wide x 14" x 11" high) for 40-48 additional miles.

It's not yet on their website (sorry, I didn't get a picture yet) but you can contact them at:

858-486-9972
[email protected]
I like it!

TonyWilliams said:
...The cheapest version just has a simple inverter and J1772 plug to charge your car...

How does the add-on pack get charged in the first place?
Does it come with its' own charger? Does it hook into the cars charger?

camasleaf said:
smkettner said:

Just add another $8000 and buy another Leaf :!: . You tow one until the other one runs out of battery, then you swtich :lol:.
You know, that isn't a bad idea for some of these people that commute 150 miles per day. Keep one leaf at work charged up. Drive to work, swap cars for the drive home. Then again.. I suppose if you could charge at work, the extra car isn't needed... nevermind.

TEG said:
TonyWilliams said:
...The cheapest version just has a simple inverter and J1772 plug to charge your car...

How does the add-on pack get charged in the first place?
Does it come with its' own charger? Does it hook into the cars charger?

Has its own charger. It plugs in separately (120 or 240 options). That's how it stays portable for the 3kWh version.

camasleaf said:
smkettner said:

Just add another $8000 and buy another Leaf :!: . You tow one until the other one runs out of battery, then you swtich
Or even better yet - tow the second car - ignition on, in eco mode - so the Leaf being towed will in essence be getting quick charged DC .... then switch them around when the lead Leaf car starts running low. ;)

What a great idea! Of course, this would work for any J1772-equiped car (Leaf, Volt, PiP, C-Max/Fusion Energi...) It would also work for AAA as an emergency rescue (they will bring an ICE a gallon of gasoline, why not this for an EV?)

I hope this (or something like it) is widely available. Any thought on a CHAdeMO version, or is there too much overhead there?

adric22 said:
camasleaf said:
smkettner said:

You know, that isn't a bad idea for some of these people that commute 150 miles per day. Keep one leaf at work charged up. Drive to work, swap cars for the drive home. Then again.. I suppose if you could charge at work, the extra car isn't needed... nevermind.
Keep one on charge half way to work. Just trade cars and continue on your way like the Pony Express of the 1800's.
If you could own a fleet of LEAFs at the right location maybe you could make some money :p

With 5 locations you could make LA to Vegas etc possible and avoid QC delays and related battery heating ;)

GetOffYourGas said:
What a great idea! Of course, this would work for any J1772-equiped car (Leaf, Volt, PiP, C-Max/Fusion Energi...) It would also work for AAA as an emergency rescue (they will bring an ICE a gallon of gasoline, why not this for an EV?)

I hope this (or something like it) is widely available. Any thought on a CHAdeMO version, or is there too much overhead there?

The Chademo connectors are currently way too expensive and it would need a step up from 48v to 400v... More expense. So, no Chademo.

GetOffYourGas said:
What a great idea! Of course, this would work for any J1772-equiped car (Leaf, Volt, PiP, C-Max/Fusion Energi...) It would also work for AAA as an emergency rescue (they will bring an ICE a gallon of gasoline, why not this for an EV?)?

Yes, will work on any J1772 car. A Chademo battery pack was offered to AAA, which they advertised a bunch, but failed to buy.

TonyWilliams said:
GetOffYourGas said:

The Chademo connectors are currently way too expensive and it would need a step up from 48v to 400v... More expense. So, no Chademo.

I guess with 3kWh at 3.3kW, it would take less than an hour to transfer its charge to the car anyway so CHAdeMO really would be a marginal benefit. I think I would rather have it integrated into the car rather than stop for only 3kWh extra. But if it works for someone else, this is a great addition to the EV world.

TonyWilliams said:
A Chademo battery pack was offered to AAA, which they advertised a bunch, but failed to buy.

Well I don't know what they did implement, but they do have CHAdeMO on the one rescue truck out of the downtown LA office. But don't need it when there is a green event they're attending, because it's more than likely going to be at that event instead of servicing members.

smkettner said:
Keep one on charge half way to work. Just trade cars and continue on your way like the Pony Express of the 1800's.
If you could own a fleet of LEAFs at the right location maybe you could make some money :p
Actually, I've mentioned this before. Anytime people start in on the ludicrous idea of battery swap stations, I always point out that it would be more economically feasible to swap the whole car instead of the battery.

Back