2011, 2012 Nissan Leaf Leasing Information

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
ok, so it doesnt work for you and that is too bad. i think that if you really did this you might find your worst case scenario you have laid out above is not the case and you will find that there are many hidden costs to driving a car including your time.

you live in the Bay Area as I did. One thing I found was that time was money, more so than any area I had ever lived (military brat here, i have lived a lot of places). another part of your equation you might want to figure is the time you spend getting gas. You have a Prius, too bad you average 45 mpg which means you get gas 3 times a month. calculate the time you spend doing that. I found that it took me about 12-20 minutes (depending on the wait time at the gas station) to fill up my Prius despite the fact that it was less than 200 yards detour from my commute. problem is; the commute was during rush hour which aggravated the time issue.

I fill up only twice a month actually on average, and the station I go to is actually on my way home, right at the freeway exit, there is no detour. And before anyone asks, that station has good prices. Usually I only spend about 5 minutes for a fillup.

my other choice is hope that i had errands near the gas station (i use Costco exclusively because of the discount they give) when i need gas or make a special trip. the option of getting gas at an alternate station would provide very little in the way of time savings since i live technically in the suburbs but its very rural. (i live 3 blocks from County Fairground on basically an isthmus between two lakes) by the time i get to "civilization" 2 miles away, my gas station options START at 50 cents a gallon higher and UP.

Funny you are concerned about time but fillup at Costco. I don't fillup at Costco because of the time issue - it is usually a 10-15 minute wait before one can start pumping.

just curious; how far is your commute and what type of driving? to average 3 miles per Kwh (per your "adjusted" estimate) means you are driving 70 mph with climate controls blasting. I think you will find that its hard to average above about 4.5 miles per Kwh on the freeway, but its also difficult to get below 3.5 miles/kwh especially when you live in an area that does not get real cold.

Commute is 12-13 miles each way, 75% freeway, off-peak hours, usually I do 70mph there.
I am not a Leaf owner yet, I may yet become one, but if I do it won't be because of numbers alone.
Re: cold, I actually had to put my heater on at home last night for the first time, room was down to 64 and I need it at 69 at least or I get sick.

finally; get with your local FB owners group and discuss your utility rate situation.

By FB do you mean facebook ?
I have a good handle on my utility situation, the only practical solution is to put my solar PV, 12 more are going up on the roof tomorrow in addition to the 28 that went up 2 years ago.
This should allow for charging a Leaf for "free" - if you don't count the $5k solar addition investment (after incentives).

madbrain said:
Commute is 12-13 miles each way, 75% freeway, off-peak hours, usually I do 70mph there.
I am not a Leaf owner yet, I may yet become one, but if I do it won't be because of numbers alone.
Re: cold, I actually had to put my heater on at home last night for the first time, room was down to 64 and I need it at 69 at least or I get sick.
I have a good handle on my utility situation, the only practical solution is to put my solar PV, 12 more are going up on the roof tomorrow in addition to the 28 that went up 2 years ago.
This should allow for charging a Leaf for "free" - if you don't count the $5k solar addition investment (after incentives).
It looks like some posts are off topic "Nissan Leaf Leasing Information". Nevertheless, I found some logical problems on those posts.
1. Why do you want to get another vehicle provided you have a Prius already?
2. Do you need additional car? If yes, Leaf has best deal you can get now. If not, why bother?
3. Shouldn't it be comparison of "(Prius + Prius) vs (Prius + Leaf)" if you must have another vehicle on top of original Prius?

[edit below]
I can now plug in some more realistic numbers after 2 days.
1. My monthly payment is $189 virtually.
2. First year registration fee was recovered by CA $2500 rebate. Next two years in total is about $800. This add $22 a month on $189.
3. My insurance add $20 a month by adding Leaf.
4. My ICE car is 18.5mpg. Commute 1000 miles a month. Gas is $4.4 as of today. Monthly cost is $238.
5. Change pge rate plan to e9a. It may cost $45 to charge Leaf a month according to the estimation at pge.com
6. 189+22+20+45-238=$38.
7. SL model is pre-qualified for free Blink charger and $400 installation rebate in Bay Area.

ocean said:
1. Why do you want to get another vehicle provided you have a Prius already?

Want is the key word - I want to play with the new greener technology.

2. Do you need additional car? If yes, Leaf has best deal you can get now. If not, why bother?

No, definitely not a need.

3. Shouldn't it be comparison of "(Prius + Prius) vs (Prius + Leaf)" if you must have another vehicle on top of original Prius?
[/quote]

No, since it's not a "must" .

i suggested Facebook only as a vehicle to talk with others who have fought the fight with the PUD because your rates seem high especially for super off peak. as far as getting a LEAF? the reasons why are easy; its a very cool car, no explanation there, besides i did what you are thinking about doing. my LEAF replaced a 2006 Prius that only had 55,000 miles on it and was paid for. but it wasnt electric, so it had to go (besides i still got my other Prius...)

as far as range, your commute is well within all but the worst weather conditions so you should be fine on that.

ocean said:
Pick up a SL today (Dealer gave me SL in SV price). 36 months lease. I am in Bay Area, CA.

MSRP: $38,640
Adjusted cap: $24,970.53
Drive-off (include down payment, 1st month payment, Tire fee, Registration Fee....): $2,500
Monthly Payment before sales tax (8.25%): $179.94 After tax: $194.79
Residual: $18,547.20

Total Payment = $194.79 x 35 + $2,500 drive-off - $2,500 CA rebate = $9,317.65 - $2,500 = $6,817.65

That sounds like a great deal for your LEAF SL. Would it be possible for you to share with us which dealership & salesperson? I would like to get the same deal if possible. I too am near San Jose / Sunnyvale area. I want the 36 months lease too because of California's $2500 rebate. Did California send you the check or did the dealership do the paper work for you and the rebate check went to the dealership directly?

If you are not comfortable providing us with the name of the dealership, may I PM you to get it?

Does everyone here agree above is a very good deal in the San Jose CA area currently (Oct 2012)?

--------
Ready to lease a LEAF SL, near San Jose, CA

ocean said:
Pick up a SL today (Dealer gave me SL in SV price). 36 months lease. I am in Bay Area, CA.

MSRP: $38,640
Adjusted cap: $24,970.53
Drive-off (include down payment, 1st month payment, Tire fee, Registration Fee....): $2,500
Monthly Payment before sales tax (8.25%): $179.94 After tax: $194.79
Residual: $18,547.20

Total Payment = $194.79 x 35 + $2,500 drive-off - $2,500 CA rebate = $9,317.65 - $2,500 = $6,817.65

How many miles per year for this lease? (10k, 12k, 15k?)

jon said:
Be careful w/both Premier Nissans. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=236138#p236138" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

The other person who I mentioned is here on MNL and briefly told me about his bad experience. I don't recall the details but when he mentioned "Premier Nissan", my reply was "there's your problem". I'll let him come forward, if he wishes to.

If you do end up leasing from them (or attempting to), I'd be curious to know if it turns out good/bad.

I don't know if us 3 were the exception or the norm. If it happens too often, I kind of wonder how places like that stay in business. They are very convenient for me in terms of distance, but they'd definitely not be my 1st choice to buy/lease from...

I heard lease deal on radio (Nissan direct) 1999 down, 199 mo. Details at choosenissan.com, but I don't see them there.

cwerdna said:
jon said:
Be careful w/both Premier Nissans. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=236138#p236138" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

The other person who I mentioned is here on MNL and briefly told me about his bad experience. I don't recall the details but when he mentioned "Premier Nissan", my reply was "there's your problem". I'll let him come forward, if he wishes to.

If you do end up leasing from them (or attempting to), I'd be curious to know if it turns out good/bad.

I don't know if us 3 were the exception or the norm. If it happens too often, I kind of wonder how places like that stay in business. They are very convenient for me in terms of distance, but they'd definitely not be my 1st choice to buy/lease from...

I tried to lease a Leaf over the week-end. I went to 3 different dealerships. First premier in Fremont. They had advertised a deal of $270/month + tax for 36 months with $0 down on craigslist. I called at 2:30pm to confirm the deal was still good and they had the blue one in stock. Showed up at 4pm - car was not there, supposedly got sold "this morning". But they had a silver one, which I didn't want. They would only honor the price for the one on their lot. They wanted $1400 more to get one from another dealership.

Then I went to Capitol in San Jose. They claimed they would match the price and get a blue car from an SF dealership the same day. They didn't match the price, couldn't get the car the same day, and it was coming from Sacramento, not SF. They said it would take 2 days. My experience was so bad, you can read my review on Yelp from 10/13. They are the worst liars and I will never deal with them again. If I manage to get a Leaf I will not take it for service there even though they are the closest to where I live.

Yesterday I went to Stevens Creek in San Jose. They claimed on the phone they would match the Fremont dealer price and get the car transferred to them. But when we showed up, they could not actually make it happen. The price they asked was about $1400 higher over 3 years.

Apparently, there is no blue SL to be had within 200 miles of San Jose at this time. It would have to be driven from Sacramento and that's very problematic with the Leaf given that it needs at least one full charge half way through to make it, or perhaps two full charges.

I was mightily inconvenienced as my Prius 2007 was dropped at the body shop for to prep it for sale on saturday, and it won't be back until wednesday. I had to get a rental car today to get to work. Apparently the Leafs have become more popular due to the high gas prices. I have wasted a lot of time trying to get one, but perhaps this is just not meant to be.
I really, really, really wish one could just do the deal and submit the order online so I do not ever have to talk to a car dealer in my life again.

madbrain said:
cwerdna said:
jon said:

I tried to lease a Leaf over the week-end. I went to 3 different dealerships. First premier in Fremont. They had advertised a deal of $270/month + tax for 36 months with $0 down on craigslist. I called at 2:30pm to confirm the deal was still good and they had the blue one in stock. Showed up at 4pm - car was not there, supposedly got sold "this morning". But they had a silver one, which I didn't want. They would only honor the price for the one on their lot. They wanted $1400 more to get one from another dealership.

Then I went to Capitol in San Jose. They claimed they would match the price and get a blue car from an SF dealership the same day. They didn't match the price, couldn't get the car the same day, and it was coming from Sacramento, not SF. They said it would take 2 days. My experience was so bad, you can read my review on Yelp from 10/13. They are the worst liars and I will never deal with them again. If I manage to get a Leaf I will not take it for service there even though they are the closest to where I live.

Yesterday I went to Stevens Creek in San Jose. They claimed on the phone they would match the Fremont dealer price and get the car transferred to them. But when we showed up, they could not actually make it happen. The price they asked was about $1400 higher over 3 years.

Apparently, there is no blue SL to be had within 200 miles of San Jose at this time. It would have to be driven from Sacramento and that's very problematic with the Leaf given that it needs at least one full charge half way through to make it, or perhaps two full charges.

I was mightily inconvenienced as my Prius 2007 was dropped at the body shop for to prep it for sale on saturday, and it won't be back until wednesday. I had to get a rental car today to get to work. Apparently the Leafs have become more popular due to the high gas prices. I have wasted a lot of time trying to get one, but perhaps this is just not meant to be.
I really, really, really wish one could just do the deal and submit the order online so I do not ever have to talk to a car dealer in my life again.
madbrain, you are just too nice to them. I feel sorry about your story. Use my quote as your weapon on any dealers.

cwerdna, it will be nice to have honest dealership in US. However, there is no such thing in real world. Don't be idealistic. It is a "fight" between you and dealer. It never come easy. And most of fights are nasty.

jon, you can PM me.

Is it my negotiate skill or I am just lucky? Not sure. I got a good deal from a dealer some people do not like.....Very interesting....I want blue one, too. If I hesitate few more days, it would have all gone in Bay Area.

Here is my Blue SL Leaf. After having it one week, I am now a true believer of electric car! I wish I can lease another one, but our family have enough cars already.
img20121010171417.jpg

ocean said:
madbrain, you are just too nice to them. I feel sorry about your story. Use my quote as your weapon on any dealers.

I really wonder, which dealer did the deal for you ?

I walked out on 3 dealers, so I can't have been too nice. None of them tried to get us to come back in when we did.

Stevens Creek said the very best they could do was $11,800 over 3 years for the blue SL.
You got it for $9,317, that's an amazing difference.

madbrain said:
ocean said:

I really wonder, which dealer did the deal for you ?

I walked out on 3 dealers, so I can't have been too nice. None of them tried to get us to come back in when we did.

Stevens Creek said the very best they could do was $11,800 over 3 years for the blue SL.
You got it for $9,317, that's an amazing difference.
It does not really matter which dealer as long as they can give you the deal. If you have to know, PM me.

I checked the inventory in Bay Area http://www.choosenissan.com/san-francisco-oakland-san-jose-area/leaf/?dcp=ppr.49376461.&dcc=0.225587977" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They sell really well in past week. One dealer used to have 23 on lot last week, now only have 4. It may be the reason they are are not willing to give good deal anymore.

ocean said:
cwerdna, it will be nice to have honest dealership in US. However, there is no such thing in real world. Don't be idealistic. It is a "fight" between you and dealer. It never come easy. And most of fights are nasty.
FWIW, I bought an 06 Prius from Toyota Sunnyvale and 2 Nissans (an 02 Maxima and 04 350Z) from Nissan of Fife (in WA state, when I lived there), all new. I was happy w/the price and buying experience. I'd have no hesitation in going back there to car shop, depending on which state I'm in and whether they have the car I want.

I got a surprisingly good price when I sold my Z to Stadium Nissan in Seattle (which is now gone). It was higher than a used car dealer's offer or anyone else's offer (not many) that I was getting on Craigslist. Heck, it was higher than what I advertised for on CL.

Not all dealers are bad.

I've had some negative dealer experiences (some of which were echoed by others) at some other dealers. Honda of Kirkland, WA comes to mind.

ocean said:
They sell really well in past week. One dealer used to have 23 on lot last week, now only have 4. It may be the reason they are are not willing to give good deal anymore.

I see. Maybe I just need to wait until the gas prices come back down a little bit, maybe they will be less popular then.
Seems like I missed the boat. sigh.

cwerdna said:
ocean said:
FWIW, I bought an 06 Prius from Toyota Sunnyvale and 2 Nissans (an 02 Maxima and 04 350Z) from Nissan of Fife (in WA state, when I lived there), all new. I was happy w/the price and buying experience. I'd have no hesitation in going back there to car shop, depending on which state I'm in and whether they have the car I want.

I got a surprisingly good price when I sold my Z to Stadium Nissan in Seattle (which is now gone). It was higher than a used car dealer's offer or anyone else's offer (not many) that I was getting on Craigslist. Heck, it was higher than what I advertised for on CL.

Not all dealers are bad.

I've had some negative dealer experiences (some of which were echoed by others) at some other dealers. Honda of Kirkland, WA comes to mind.
I would never just go to one favorite dealer to buy a car. Even they give me best deal before. Every time is different. Of course, I will have high expectation from previous favorite dealer. But I won't stop there, shopping around is still your golden rule.

cwerdna, I am a bit lost with your posts. Sunnyvale has good dealership but they offer me $3000 more than other dealers. So what is your point?

I cannot wait to see your numbers from Nissan Sunnyvale anyway.

ocean said:
I would never just go to one favorite dealer to buy a car. Even they give me best deal before. Every time is different. Of course, I will have high expectation from previous favorite dealer. But I won't stop there, shopping around is still your golden rule.

cwerdna, I am a bit lost with your posts. Sunnyvale has good dealership but they offer me $3000 more compare to other dealers. So what is your point?
I tend to agree. I would still shop around.

For some folks, they don't care as much about trying to get the absolute lowest price they can. Some are willing to support the business (in general, since they need to pay their bills and workers), find the location convenient, give repeat business for a previous good experience, like the staff, etc.

I've never bought a car from Sunnyvale Nissan. My parents bought an Altima Hybrid from them when they were Falore. They were the designated Costco dealer and the price we got (they knocked some off the Costco price) we were satisfied with, in the limited time we had. It was a replacement car for my mom since her's got totaled. We weren't going to stretch out the shopping over several weeks.

I liked and my mom likes their service department. I can't speak for their sales dept or their pricing though, as their ownership's changed.

Judging by madbrain's story + mine, it seems like both Premier Nissans (Fremont and San Jose) are to be avoided, at least for sales.

cwerdna said:
ocean said:

cwerdna, I am a bit lost with your posts. Sunnyvale has good dealership but they offer me $3000 more compare to other dealers. So what is your point?
I tend to agree. I would still shop around.

For some folks, they don't care as much about trying to get the absolute lowest price they can. Some are willing to support the business (in general, since they need to pay their bills and workers), find the location convenient, give repeat business for a previous good experience, like the staff, etc.

I've never bought a car from Sunnyvale Nissan. My parents bought an Altima Hybrid from them when they were Falore. They were the designated Costco dealer and the price we got (they knocked some off the Costco price) we were satisfied with, in the limited time we had. It was a replacement car for my mom since her's got totaled. We weren't going to stretch out the shopping over several weeks.

I liked and my mom likes their service department. I can't speak for their sales dept or their pricing though, as their ownership's changed.

Judging by madbrain's story + mine, it seems like both Premier Nissans are to be avoided, at least for sales.
I see. Your point is that you want us avoid both Premier Nissans. My point is that we don't care which dealership as long as they provide best price.

The funny thing is that I got car from one of them. I must be lucky! LOL!

ocean said:
I see. You want us avoid both Premier Nissans.

Want? Maybe.... It's just a heads up more than anything else.

It just doesn't look like a coincidence to have a friend going back to high school, a MNLer, madbrain and myself having bad experiences w/them.

I think you got lucky.

cwerdna said:
ocean said:
I see. You want us avoid both Premier Nissans.

Want? Maybe.... It's just a heads up more than anything else.

It just doesn't look like a coincidence to have a friend going back to high school, a MNLer, madbrain and myself having bad experiences w/them.
Alright, alright.. The both Premier Nissans are such lousy dealers and we all should avoid them. In the mean time, Sunnyvale dealer gave me worst quote among all 4 dealers so I won't buy car from them. The only one dealer left on Steven Creek did not even have Leaf on their lot. So we should end of with nothing. Can we stop now?

Back