Tesla Supercharger Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
free fuel for long distance trips...I'm sold. And it looks like they are going to put one in Santa Nella, like I need for my business trips to Los Banos, Volta and Firebaugh. Time to put down my deposit on a ModelS-P60 since I'll be able to sell two cars and replace them with one very nice one.

Phoenix said:
But apparently Nissan is now going to install 300 QCs in the Bay Area starting Oct. 2012 per posting on the topic "SF Bay Area QC--getting them sooner rather than later" (someone, put in the link). Let's hope that is not vaporware like the $9900 QC. (Nissan, you are such a tease!)

But my loyalties are still with Nissan since they have put out an affordable EV.
Huh? http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5692&start=370" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; says
a Nissan representative announced while on the podium that Nissan will deploy 100 level 3 chargers in the bay area over the next two years starting in October 2012.
I really hope that's for real. If so, then at least it means Nissan's still serious about EVs and CHAdeMO. 100 in the Bay Area would be an incredible number. Question is, how much will they cost to use? I wonder how many will be installed at Nissan dealers?

Phoenix said:
But apparently Nissan is now going to install 100 QCs in the Bay Area starting Oct. 2012 per posting on the topic "SF Bay Area QC--getting them sooner rather than later" (someone, put in the link). Let's hope that is not vaporware like the $9900 QC. (Nissan, you are such a tease!)

But my loyalties are still with Nissan since they have put out an affordable EV.

It's not really "affordable" if your range is 50 miles after 50K miles... At that point, it's a very expensive vehicle that only gets you around town for chores.. You'll have even less range if you actually use the QC's that Nissan says they're deploying...

No doubt--the siren song of Tesla with lifetime free solar charging is beckoning. Hard to beat that since their supercharging network already exists (but not necessarily their Tesla Ss--at least not to enough customers). Nissan, with the opposite problem, can't get the QCs out there fast enough with solar PV charging.

I had to LOL at the huge lighted phallus they're using as a sign...

Not to mention these massive displays of light always rub me the wrong way - night-time light pollution is a big issue - not to mention the energy those lights consume.

grommet said:
I'm sold simply because of the giant Phallic Tesla Monolith at the launch. The monkeys jumping around were a nice touch, too.

It's not going to actually be that big, there are city sign ordinances... It's just signage to help you locate the SuperCharger site. At this point I'm realy pleased I waited for the Model S, free lifetime charging and enabling cross country travel (for free) is pretty amazing. The solar arrays are always feeding into the grid, so they'll actually be generating more energy than the SC site consumes - of course that will be dependent on how many cars/day use each site... It won't be many for a while, but it will eventually.
It's also brilliant marketing, "buy our car, we give you free energy for life". I don't think any other manufacturer can hope to compete with this model. It's probably has the attention of big oil at this point as well, or it will shortly.

Now if Nissan would just take a few tips from their playbook. Or many. Or just copy the damn car!

chris1howell said:
The space ship is about to land...
Chris, you are obviously having too much fun tonight taking time off from your EVSEs! I'm completely envious, especially after finally seeing and trying on a Model S for size this weekend in Newport Beach. Thanks for the picture!

HighDesertDriver said:
chris1howell said:
The space ship is about to land...
Chris, you are obviously having too much fun tonight taking time off from your EVSEs! I'm completely envious, especially after finally seeing and trying on a Model S for size this weekend in Newport Beach. Thanks for the picture!

2012-09-24_20-13-24_884 by chris1howell, on Flickr

JohnOver said:
Here's the video from today's launch (I think): http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/24/tesla-supercharger/

Others have asked the question, on this forum, but I couldn't find it answered: Will a J1772 vehicle be able to charge from a Tesla Supercharger station? With an adapter?

the simple answer is no. These are only for Model S vehicles at this point, and even at that they are only for the 60kWh and 85kWh pack vehicles, the 40kWh Model S is not able to charge at these supercharger stations. They do have two 10kW chargers on-board if you purchase the second one (first one comes with the car).

It's a bit sad that Nissan being the 1st automobile company to lead the way in mass production EV products has failed to capture mindshare, unlike Tesla, niche segment player deploying this kind of QC charging infrastructure for their EV products. (just read all the comments on the engadget article!)

I can just imagine how much positive mindshare Nissan would have had captured if they had a QC infrastructure deployment strategy which outfitted designated dealerships with their $10k QC Sumitomo EVSEs at strategic travel routes.

They could have easily beaten Tesla with a QC support dealer network but now they're just a follower and Tesla's got the lead mindshare. So sad for Nissan.

coolfilmaker said:
As an American, I prefer for Tesla to succeed.
I have some of the same feelings but, as a parent, I want GM, Tesla and Nissan to succeed. I'd like everyone to grasp how much better EVs are to drive and how unnecessary is our oil bondage.
But back on topic, Tesla's Supercharger infrastructure is enabled by the longer range of their car which comes back to the fact that it's still all about the battery. Supercharging is only at 1-2 C for these big packs. Two years ago the debate was whether the Volt battery pack broke the $1000/kWh barrier. Now Tesla is selling a climate-controlled battery pack for $823/kWh... oh and it comes with a pretty awesome car!
This is the change I voted for in 2011, with Nissan, and my wallet. I'm happy the Volt is getting more popular, I want Nissan to come back strong with something like Tesla's offering (both car, battery and charging network).

Time's running short though. I have to admit I've been caught by Tesla's tractor beam. Even the dorky Supercharger reveal that came off more like a tacky bar-mitzvah than a headline-worthy announcement, charmed me. Yeah, they'll stumble too. Over-promise, have delivery problems, cash-flow problems. Offering, free, zero-emission long distance travel is brilliant with Elon describing a cross-country trip where you pack food, stay with friends and can leave your wallet at home. Silly, but effective imagery. Tesla is attacking the EV naysayers on multiple fronts. They don't also sell oil-burners so they don't need to stifle their disdain for the archaic ICE.

Sat in a Model S last week; now need a test drive. Trying to justify a purchase in 12 mos. I've never regretted not buying something and the thrill usually wears off or is overtaken by some other shiny object. But they've staked out territory in my head. They've created desire on many levels. No small thing.

And all they would have had to do is require them at dealerships as they did in Europe... But it is now too late for them in that regard regardless of what they might do in the future... I've already voted with my wallet and put down a deposit on a Tesla...

mxp said:
I can just imagine how much positive mindshare Nissan would have had captured if they had a QC infrastructure deployment strategy which outfitted designated dealerships with their $10k QC Sumitomo EVSEs at strategic travel routes.

Unbelievable! Today TSLA has opened up by dropping almost 9%. I would have thought it would have received a bump. It did in my view as I was sitting on the fence about whether to spend that much money on a car, but now that it can be my only car and I can eliminate two vehicles I'm ready to put down my deposit for a Model S-P60 or P85. The difference is on road trips. A P60 will need to stop for fuel every two hours, and a P85 every three hours.

I'm happy for tesla, and this is a great stride forward ... but it really seems to me that muddying the waters further on the quick charge standard is more harmful than the charging network is helpful... I understand they want to ensure their investment benefits primarily their company rather than other companies, but seriously, the real barrier to their success is NOT Tesla Vs Volt Vs Leaf etc., it's overall adoption - and adding further confusion to what quick chargers are compatible with which cars definitely won't help that :(

Back