Tesla Supercharger Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
coolfilmaker said:
I think the crazy plan has to do with battery swapping at the supercharger stations. That would explain why the smaller capacity cars are not eligible to use them.
I agree battery swapping may well be the "crazy idea" but I don't believe swapping is related to the lack to supercharger access on the 60 kWh and 40 kWh battery packs.

A few weeks ago the web site listed 60 kWh support for the superchargers as "TBD." Now it says "optional" with no price given. Support must include some relays that switch the single port from the internal charger(s) for AC to the battery pack for DC. The maximum rate of charge for a given chemistry is proportional to the pack capacity, so if the 85 kWh pack can accept a maximum of 90 kW, the smaller packs are limited to less, so perhaps the 60 kWh pack will charge at a maximum rate of about 60 kW.

Presumably they are not offering DC access for the 40 kWh pack because its maximum rate of charge is too slow for the superchargers. However, if they would get off their NIH attitude and offer support for CHAdeMO and/or SAE DC QC through their port, then DC access for all 3 battery sizes would make sense. The cost of the relays should not be much.

adric22 said:
I don't know about that. I've been thinking about it for a few hours and it sort of makes sense. By using solar you could bypass all of the regulations and red-tape involved in getting high voltage from the electric company....
With a combination of solar, maybe generators, and/or a regular 240V link to the grid you could keep a set of batteries fully charged waiting for the next customer to drive by.

Here is an interview with Elon, and he is NOT talking about the supercharger network, but rather some other ideas he has for companies.
I found this comment by Elon very interesting as he talks about the "hyperloop" transport system...(statement at 46:30) "there is a way to store the power for use 24/7, without using batteries."
here is the link directly to the comment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uegOUmgKB4E&feature=youtu.be#t=46m15s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the interesting part of the long interview starts here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uegOUmgKB4E&feature=youtu.be#t=37m30s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There was just a small comment from the "TESLA MOTORS, INC. SECOND QUARTER 2012 FINANCIAL RESULTS Q&A CONFERENCE CALL".

http://ir.teslamotors.com/events.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The comment begins at 26:50 after one of the investment bankers asked if he could comment on the supercharger network. Elon replied (paraphrased) "...way cooler than anyone realizes...it will have a profound effect on how the public sees electric vehicles...there will be some surprises..."

He noted that Tesla is planning on a public unveiling event in September, but that is not a firm date just yet.

So now we wait....

News starting to get out ahead of the big announcement on Monday.

http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://insideevs.com/tesla-supercharger-to-debut-monday-full-85-kwh-charges-in-less-than-an-hour/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://green.autoblog.com/2012/09/20/tesla-supercharger-design-reveal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for the technical aspects, here are some of the things we already know:

---A top-of-the-line 85-kWh battery pack will be able to be recharged in about an hour.
---You will be able to get around three hours of driving during a 30-minute stop, and that will get better over time.
---The capacity is "on the order of 100 kW."
---There will be solar power involved (we had heard rumors of battery swaps, too, but then that kind of died down).
---The network is intended to allow for long-distance drives and will require about 30 Superchargers to provide that capability along the U.S. continental coasts.

Today while looking for a parking space to visit the Folsom Plug In Day Event, I saw a ModelS...wow, my first sighting in the "wild". I parked my car and began to walk over and noticed that the car was plugged in and the driver was still in the car. As I approached he got out, unplugged the car and that's when I noticed there was not a j1772 adapter on the connection. He was plugging directly into his car. Then I noticed the Tesla logo on the pedestal. Wow, I accidently discovered one of the first superchargers. I found out that this particular unit is 90kW.

The gentleman who was driving the car is a Tesla employee and he was driving a development car and it was clearly marked with MFG plates and numbers all over it. I'm assuming he was there to test the charge station, as well as the car. I also saw ModelS #42 (I think...it was in the 40's) which was on display. The owner was gracious enough to bring it to the event and allow people to touch it...lots of finger prints! This was one of the Signature vehicles with all the options. Very beautiful car!

Anyhow, here are some photos. The station itself is just a simple pedestal with a cable, and the hardware is in an enclosure nearby. It looks like they have done a lot of electrical work to put this in. There is a new Transformer, power distribution panel, and the charge controller. It also looks like they are setup to add a second charge controller as there is room to park another car and there are bollards to protect where they would put the second unit. You can also see on the slab between the charge controller and the distribution panel the conduits they have already run to the parking space.

20120923-141947.jpg

20120923-141957.jpg

20120923-142007.jpg

20120923-150110.jpg

20120923-150122.jpg

20120923-150133.jpg

20120923-150142.jpg

That's a monster, with an "external" cabinet like first gen CHAdeMO units... not exactly elegant like I would have expected from Tesla. But I assume it'll deliver the goods. ;)

Nice find palmermd!

You should post this over at the Tesla site. They've been engaged in all manner of fantasy about Tesla super chargers.
I am surprised by the rather unadorned, homespun, almost "shop-class" look to the thing. I assume tomorrow's big Tesla Supercharger announcement will show something much flashier.
One thing I like, is the placement. While obviously good for the port location on the Model S, it also makes it possible to charge even when the spot is "iced"; whilst blocking the offender until one has completed filling up.
Thanks for the pics!

I think you are looking at a "city" version of the SuperCharger, if the site has no room for the "solar canopy", which is rumored to be used for the "highway rest stop" version of the SuperCharger. I think what's more interesting is, there appears to be no controls, no stop/start, The Model S locks the charging connector to the car during charging, so there appears to be no way to stop the charge partially completed, maybe it can be it done via some controls in the car. We'll learn more tommorow night.
Also it doesn't look "shop class" to me, it looks like Tesla used their sheet metal and bending equipment to make that Pedestal, they probably painted it as well... it's interesting it has about 3' of cable, I guess that's one way to discourage copper thieves.

BTW, this link is the thread on this SuperCharger site (Folsom, CA) on the TMC site:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/10286-Possible-supercharger-location-in-Folsom-CA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Up in Hawthorne for the event early and ran into George B...Nice guy, and the stage setup is pretty impressive...The have the charging station covered up and will be doing the big reveal...Should be pretty exciting.....

Randy

This is the way to get EVs launched. A dedicated quick charge network, and a network of dedicated professionals to make sure that the customers have a great experience, and promote the car. Imagine if Nissan had a select group ofdealers ddedicated to the LEAF with folks that knew the car inside and out., with 440 quick chargers at each location... I bet the LEAF would be selling 4x as well. Instead we have cars with batteries dying and no support available.

The live reveal is tonight starting at 8:00pm. Just about now.

http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I agree with the second to last post. Nissan has dropped the ball so far by not helping to build out a quick charge network.

But apparently Nissan is now going to install 100 QCs in the Bay Area starting Oct. 2012 per posting on the topic "SF Bay Area QC--getting them sooner rather than later" (someone, put in the link). Let's hope that is not vaporware like the $9900 QC. (Nissan, you are such a tease!)

But my loyalties are still with Nissan since they have put out an affordable EV.

Phoenix said:
But apparently Nissan is now going to install 300 QCs in the Bay Area starting Oct. 2012 per posting on the topic "SF Bay Area QC--getting them sooner rather than later" (someone, put in the link). Let's hope that is not vaporware like the $9900 QC. (Nissan, you are such a tease!)

But my loyalties are still with Nissan since they have put out an affordable EV.

Wow, that would be sweet. That would be the game changer we are all waiting for.

Back