Cheap Seat Cover to prevent Static Shock?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yorkhung

Hello,
I am getting static shock when getting out the LEAF to a point I am afraid of touching the handle.
I read other post and found getting a Seat Cover will prevent the static shock from happening.
But when I go to Pepboy, I found their Seat Cover is too small to put into Leaf's seat.
Can anyone please help to recommend a good seat cover that doesn't generate static electricity?
As long it is cheap enough, it doesn't have to look good.

Thanks

The static shocks will dissipate after a while, but it make take longer than you'd like. I don't remember now just how long, but if you search the board there is a thread about it someplace.

Edit: Here you go. Looks like I said two months. YMMV.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=6219" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yorkhung said:
Hello,
I am getting static shock when getting out the LEAF to a point I am afraid of touching the handle.
I read other post and found getting a Seat Cover will prevent the static shock from happening.
But when I go to Pepboy, I found their Seat Cover is too small to put into Leaf's seat.
Can anyone please help to recommend a good seat cover that doesn't generate static electricity?
As long it is cheap enough, it doesn't have to look good.

Thanks
Get a dryer fabric softener sheet and vigorously rub it all over the seat and it will pretty much cure your problem (or install leather like I did and that also ends static fear). Is that cheap enough for you?

Here's a trick until the static dissipates:

Hold a small metallic object (such as a coin, etc...) between thumb and finger, then instead of touching the handle with your hand, bring the coin into contact with the handle. The spark will jump between the handle and the coin. Since you're contacting the coin over a larger surface area the charge dissipates without you feeling any painful "shock". If you wear a ring, that will probably work.

Useful in any situation where you may customarily get a static spark (indoor carpeting and doorknobs, etc...).

Right on, Nubo! I haven't tried rubbing a dryer sheet on the seat, that is a great idea!

When I moved to the SF Bay Area (dry air) from Hawaii (humid air), I got some wicked static discharges while getting out of my Honda Civic. Certain clothing tends to make it worse (synthetics, silk) as does dragging yourself across the seat as you get out. Your shoes can make it better or worse.

Since I had to use a key to open the car door, I used the metal key as my current spreader, and found it amusing to sometimes see big sparks without feeling much pain from them. But it is difficult to do that when getting out of the car, and the worst static shocks I have ever experienced occurred as I was getting out of the car. So I started making it a habit to keep my right hand in contact with the body of the car as I was getting out of the seat, usually holding onto the bracket that the door latches to when it is closed. That way the static is harmlessly drained off as I am getting up, keeping the charge from building up to painful levels. It does look a little odd, but it is a lot less painful than being shocked. You might have to wipe off excess grease on the bracket the first time.

Back