100 Mile Club, 200 km, 300 km, 200 Mile Club (24kWh LEAF)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ShawnInStL said:
and ~5.5kwh/m. LBW kicked on at about 83 miles. My wife has severe range anxiety despite my constant reassurance so I dropped her off to finish my "experiment".... VLB kicked on ~93 miles.... 105.5 miles under my normal driving conditions, except for the last 15 or so, 100% to dead.

Looks like you've mastered the beast. By the power vested me by the 100 mile Academy, I hereby proclaim you "37".

I expect a 200km run from you soon, while the battery is new and the weather warm !!!!!

As the newest member of the 100-mile club at number 38, I managed 101.1 miles with pretty normal driving on a Sunday afternoon. My route was from Gilroy to San Jose, Ca., and back, with additional driving in both cities. My only adjustment was taking back roads rather than the freeway. I never went over 50 mph, kept it in Eco mode, no air conditioning, but had the radio on. Never did get to the dreaded turtle, but my final few miles were spent circling my neighborhood because I didn't want to have to push my Leaf home!

Keithm said:
As the newest member of the 100-mile club at number 38, I managed 101.1 miles with pretty normal driving on a Sunday afternoon. My route was from Gilroy to San Jose, Ca., and back, with additional driving in both cities. My only adjustment was taking back roads rather than the freeway. I never went over 50 mph, kept it in Eco mode, no air conditioning, but had the radio on. Never did get to the dreaded turtle, but my final few miles were spent circling my neighborhood because I didn't want to have to push my Leaf home!
Did you happen to notice if/when you got the Low Battery warning and the Very Low Battery warning? Put another way, was your GOM (Distance to Empty display) flashing or showing three bars? And if flashing a number, what number was it showing?

Ray

planet4ever said:
Keithm said:
Did you happen to notice if/when you got the Low Battery warning and the Very Low Battery warning? Put another way, was your GOM (Distance to Empty display) flashing or showing three bars? And if flashing a number, what number was it showing?

Ray

On my run, I saw LBW with 9 on the GOM, which is the highest number I've seen when hitting LBW. Normally I see 3-5 miles.

Jeremy

I came back to this thread looking for energy consumption data from 100% to LBW for cars which have lost one or more capacity bars. Interestingly, not a single LEAF owner has reported driving 100 miles or more with one or more capacity bars missing. That said, it clearly seems possible given LEAFfan's amazing accomplishment.

RegGuheert said:
I came back to this thread looking for energy consumption data from 100% to LBW for cars which have lost one or more capacity bars. Interestingly, not a single LEAF owner has reported driving 100 miles or more with one or more capacity bars missing. That said, it clearly seems possible given LEAFfan's amazing accomplishment.

I could be getting close to a losing capacity bar, and just made my fourth (and second longest) 100+ mile single-charge drive last Saturday. Whenever I do lose a bar, I will certainly continue testing for range and capacity.

8/18/12 capacity test results:

107.1 miles to VLBW, 108.0 miles in total, by the odometer...

The apparent loss of ~ 9% of total battery capacity since 9/7/11, plus an undetermined amount of capacity loss over the summer of 2011, prior to my first range test, might indicate I am close to losing a capacity bar...or it might not.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9064&start=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/4/dsc0667k.jpg/]
dsc0667k.jpg
[/URL]

My first time trying this. I did about 60 miles on the freeway, average speed was around 60 mph. Nice to know how far the car can go. I hope this picture works. I went 101.5 miles. I hit LBW at about 9 miles. GOM said I had about 4 miles left when the VLBW came on and switched to the 3 dashes. I figured it was time to quit.

Neal

neal77 said:
My first time trying this. I did about 60 miles on the freeway, average speed was around 60 mph. Nice to know how far the car can go. I hope this picture works. I went 101.5 miles. I hit LBW at about 9 miles. GOM said I had about 4 miles left when the VLBW came on and switched to the 3 dashes. I figured it was time to quit.

Neal

Congrats on reaching this milestone. We don't use the GuessOmeter at all, or CarWings, for these events. Check out the range chart linked in my signature line to get an idea how much further it might go.

You shall hereinafter be referred to as "39".

Tony

MY fifth and sixth 100+ miles single charge trips, of 108.0 and 109.4 miles, while testing my LEAF's range and capacity:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9064&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am amazed that some LEAF drivers still don't want to use Carwings.

Carwings compiles exactly the same (not-quite-accurate) kWh use numbers as reported on your dash, but also gives you very useful reports of regen from each trip. For example, on 9/8/12:

107.4 miles to VLBW, and 109.4 miles in total by, odometer.

As reported by CW, 106.8 total miles (~2.5% under report), at 6.4 m/kWh, using 16.7 kWh.

9-1-12to9-9-12CWratesimulation.png

Unfortunately, CW can't seem to fix what appears to be inaccuracy in my LEAF's dash and nav screen kWh use reports, as reported at the thread above.

Here's my 119.4 mile run from June 9, 2012:

Details:
2012 Leaf, 7700 miles, seven months old. Car charged the night before to 100%, and left plugged in for another four hours after charging was complete.

Conditions:
Temperature 81F, crosswind (from west) at 8mph, climate control off, fan on low, regular 200W draw from other systems. The route has speeds of 30 - 55 mph, typically 45 mph, occasional lights, moderately hilly with the elevation regularly varying between 500 and 900 feet. Route was straight out and back, destination same as starting point. Six temp bars throughout.

Range test: 119.4 miles total at 5.8 mi/kWh (dash). LBW at 100.1, VLBW at 108.7, Turtle at 118.1, Dead at 119.4.

Detailed mileage breakdown:

bars mi(tot) mi(GOM) mi(per bar) efficiency
12 0 121 9.2 --
11 9.2 94 8.0 --
10 17.2 99 8.6 5.5
9 25.8 75 6.0 5.2
8 31.8 75 9.0 5.4
7 40.8 67 9.6 5.5
6 50.4 62 7.4 5.6
5 57.8 51 7.5 5.5
4 65.3 40 7.7 5.5
3 73.0 30 9.6 5.5
2 82.6 24 14.4 5.6
1 97.0 13 3.1 5.7
LBW 100.1 10 8.6 5.7
VLBW 108.7 -- 9.4 5.8
TURT 118.1 -- 1.3 5.8
DEAD 119.4 -- -- 5.8

Recharged to full overnight at 120V. Measured 27.1 kWh using a Kill-a-Watt meter. Total charge time 19 hours. Charged in garage, outside temperature range 91F - 67F.

In this case I turtled at the top of a hill, so most of the distance from turtle to dead was coasting downhill to my driveway. But yeah, I don't plan to run to dead again.

This is an interesting comparison:

RegGuheert said:
Wall energy using L1 charging from 0.2 miles below VLBW to 100% prior to drive: 27.17 kWh
NullPointer said:
Car charged the night before to 100%, and left plugged in for another four hours after charging was complete.
I'm fairly certain I left our LEAF plugged in for the extra four hours, also.
RegGuheert said:
Total number of legs driven: 10
Ambient temperature range for the driving: ~65F to 85F
Battery temperature range for the driving: Mostly at 6 temperature bars but a small amount at 5 bars
NullPointer said:
Temperature 81F, crosswind (from west) at 8mph, climate control off, fan on low, regular 200W draw from other systems. The route has speeds of 30 - 55 mph, typically 45 mph, occasional lights, moderately hilly with the elevation regularly varying between 500 and 900 feet. Route was straight out and back, destination same as starting point. Six temp bars throughout
Conditions were quite similar except my drive was broken up over a couple of days/drives.
RegGuheert said:
Miles to LBW: 88.7 mi. (FWIW, 10 was showing on GOM.)
Miles to VLBW: 100.3 mi.
Miles total: 101.0 mi.
Dash efficiency: 5.7 mi./kWh
NullPointer said:
LBW 100.1 10 8.6 5.7
VLBW 108.7 -- 9.4 5.8
Same dash efficiency for the drive, but NullPointer's LEAF goes 12.4 miles (13%) farther to LBW and 8.4 miles (8.3%) farther to VLBW.
RegGuheert said:
Wall energy using L1 charging from 0.7 miles below VLBW to 100% following the drive: 26.85 kWh
NullPointer said:
Recharged to full overnight at 120V. Measured 27.1 kWh using a Kill-a-Watt meter. Total charge time 19 hours. Charged in garage, outside temperature range 91F - 67F.
Nearly identical energy used to recharge after the drive, even though NullPointer went all the way to dead.

So what can be concluded from this data?

The most obvious (and very possibly the correct conclusion) is that NullPointer's LEAF has more battery capacity than our LEAF and therefore more range but the recharge energy reads about the same due to inaccuracies in one or both of our energy meters. We could probably find out the answer to that question by comparing our meters.

But what can be made of the fact that our LEAF went 12.4 miles versus 8.6 miles (44% farther) between LBW and VLBW? Unfortunately I did not record efficiency carefully like NullPointer, so I don't know if I achieved over 8.2 miles/kWh during that portion of the drive. I may have, but I do not remember what I did that evening.

Could edatoakrun and GerryAZ's theories about LEAF instrumentation degradation and more capacity lurking below LBW be in play here? Maybe, but I suppose that may just be wishful thinking on my part.

So, NullPointer, do you want to compare meters sometime?

TonyWilliams said:
NullPointer said:
Here's my 119.4 mile run from June 9, 2012.

So close to 200km!! Were you trying? Congrats anyway, Mr. 40.

Thanks! I was just trying to beat 100 miles, and get as far as I could afterwards. I was very surprised that I did not hit turtle until 118.1. At that point I thought it would be great if I could make it to 120 miles. :) I headed home, coasted downhill for about 0.5 miles, and then drove on flat ground for another 0.5 miles until I passed my house slowly at 119.1. I continued to the end of the cul-de-sac, turned around and stopped at the bottom of my driveway at 119.4. At that point the car shifted into N, and could not be shifted into D anymore.

I do wonder if I could have made it to 120 if I kept doing slow laps near my house, but I wanted the car to be stopped within charging distance of my house.

In retrospect if I had known I would make it this far, I would have tried to be even more efficient to get to 200 km, certainly 120 mi.

what really caught my attention is the miles/bar readings. 9 miles on the bar# 12 is amazing, given that you don't get much in terms of regen when you have 12 bars. And also I noticed that bar# 2 gave 14 miles, which is even more impressive.

neal77 said:
URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/4/dsc0667k.jpg/]
dsc0667k.jpg
[/URL]

Neal

Hi Neal,

Could you post what your dash or nav screen m/kWh were for this trip, or what were your Carwings reports of m/kWh and total kWh used?

At this thread: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9064" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can see there, that while my range seems to have remained remained constant from "100%" to VLBW, all of these reports indicate a higher m/kWh, and lower battery capacity, over time.

My battery capacity (as reported from these sources, erroneously?) has declined from 18.7 kWh, to 16.7 kWh, over the last year.

It would be a very useful to the discussion, IMO, if other owners of "new" LEAFs could post their present capacity, and watch to see whether or not reported capacity declines over time, at a faster rate than does their actual range (on future trips on the same route, at the same speed, and with all other conditions matched as closely as possible) as mine has.

I also just noticed from your dash photo that your time to recharge of 17:00 to 80%, is exactly what my dash has shown in my three most Recent trips to VLBW. You may be aware that some have reported that this dash recharge time is a fairly accurate "reverse gid meter", though mine have never seemed to match the charts at the thread below very closely.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7079&start=60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I believe NullPointer and your battery capacities from "100%" to VLBW can be calculated at ~18.7 kWh and ~17.7 kWh respectively.

Mine was ~18.7 at ~3,300 miles, and is now ~16.7 a year later at ~12,500 miles, but as you noted, I don't think these numbers could accurately reflect my actual battery capacity, whatever it was, and whatever it now is...

RegGuheert said:

RegGuheert said:
Wall energy using L1 charging from 0.2 miles below VLBW to 100% prior to drive: 27.17 kWh
NullPointer said:
Car charged the night before to 100%, and left plugged in for another four hours after charging was complete.
I'm fairly certain I left our LEAF plugged in for the extra four hours, also.
RegGuheert said:
Total number of legs driven: 10
Ambient temperature range for the driving: ~65F to 85F
Battery temperature range for the driving: Mostly at 6 temperature bars but a small amount at 5 bars
NullPointer said:
Temperature 81F, crosswind (from west) at 8mph, climate control off, fan on low, regular 200W draw from other systems. The route has speeds of 30 - 55 mph, typically 45 mph, occasional lights, moderately hilly with the elevation regularly varying between 500 and 900 feet. Route was straight out and back, destination same as starting point. Six temp bars throughout
Conditions were quite similar except my drive was broken up over a couple of days/drives.
RegGuheert said:
NullPointer said:
LBW 100.1 10 8.6 5.7
VLBW 108.7 -- 9.4 5.8
Same dash efficiency for the drive, but NullPointer's LEAF goes 12.4 miles (13%) farther to LBW and 8.4 miles (8.3%) farther to VLBW.
RegGuheert said:
Wall energy using L1 charging from 0.7 miles below VLBW to 100% following the drive: 26.85 kWh
NullPointer said:
Nearly identical energy used to recharge after the drive, even though NullPointer went all the way to dead.

The most obvious (and very possibly the correct conclusion) is that NullPointer's LEAF has more battery capacity than our LEAF and therefore more range but the recharge energy reads about the same due to inaccuracies in one or both of our energy meters. We could probably find out the answer to that question by comparing our meters.

But what can be made of the fact that our LEAF went 12.4 miles versus 8.6 miles (44% farther) between LBW and VLBW? Unfortunately I did not record efficiency carefully like NullPointer, so I don't know if I achieved over 8.2 miles/kWh during that portion of the drive. I may have, but I do not remember what I did that evening.

Could edatoakrun and GerryAZ's theories about LEAF instrumentation degradation and more capacity lurking below LBW be in play here? Maybe, but I suppose that may just be wishful thinking on my part.

RegGuheert said:

RegGuheert said:
NullPointer said:
LBW 100.1 10 8.6 5.7
VLBW 108.7 -- 9.4 5.8
RegGuheert said:
NullPointer said:

Yes, very interesting comparison - thanks for lining up our numbers.

Regarding my efficiency numbers - they are cumulative, not per bar. My efficiency was 5.8 for the total trip but 5.5 for the first 60 miles, implying about 6.1 efficiency for the last 60 miles. Also, the NAV displayed an efficiency of 6.0 - usually it is only 0.1 higher than the dash reading for me, so perhaps I was getting close to 5.9 overall.

The route itself was straight out and back. More uphill on the way out, downhill on the way back. I was pretty sure I could hit 100 miles so I went out about 50.2 miles, turned around and went straight back. I hit LBW at 100.1 miles, maybe a quarter mile from home. At this point I did laps of roughly 3 miles with my house in the middle of the loop, so I would never be too far from home. These laps were more moderate in speed, maybe 35 mph, probably with better efficiency than the rest of the route.

Our VLBW numbers are not too far off - 108.7 compared to 100.3. However, at least 2 miles of that difference, perhaps more, is explained by the higher efficiency. In addition, I may have had more capacity available because:
- My battery appears to have been slightly warmer; I saw 6 temp bars throughout, whereas you were at 5 for some of the drive.
- I started and finished the test within hours after a full charge, whereas your test was broken up over a couple of days. Perhaps a small amount of energy in the battery was lost while your car sitting idle.

I went 10.7 miles after VLBW, which is in line with my efficiency of 5.8 mi/kWh and TickTock's listing in his Capacity Distribution speadsheet of 1.84 kWh left to use @ VLBW. Is VLBW precise and consistent enough to use as a comparison across cars?

If our power numbers are accurate, I believe your battery may have more capacity! You drew 26.85 kWh according to your meter, implying 26.85 * 0.78 = 20.94 kWh made it into the battery. Add in the 1.84 kWh left available at VLBW, and take off 0.7/5.7 = 0.12 kWh (you went 0.7 mi past VLBW) and this suggests that you had 22.66 kWh available to use! This is higher than the 21.5 kWh figure that I recall mentioned on this forum, as well as my own figure of 27.1 * 0.78 = 21.1 kWh available.

Or, perhaps our meters are reading funny :) Mine is just a plain old kill-a-watt. Yes, let's compare meters sometime.

Back