prberg
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Letter about possible Nissan Lawsuit

Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:26 pm

Curious if anyone else has received a letter from a law firm regarding a potential Nissan lawsuit regarding the battery capacity issues? Although the letter actually says it is related to a defect in the battery cooling system. Funny.. the car doesn't have a battery cooling system so not sure how it can be defective.

I can see how those who have lost a few battery capacity bars might be into something like this. Especially if Nissan doesn't come back with some answers and/or solutions regarding these issues.

I still have all my capacity bars so I won't likely be joining in.. but I was curious how people felt about this. I didn't see any posts regarding this issue.. sorry if I missed it.

I'm still loving the car. I do hope the battery holds up for a nice long time, but it still meets my needs for about 95% of my trips. It would be nice when the battery does lose alot of capacity.. that I can replace the battery for a reasonable cost and hopefully get more range that what I got when the car was brand new. Although if that time comes before like 8 years I will be quite disappointed.

-Peter

TonyWilliams

Re: Letter about possible Nissan Lawsuit

Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:59 am

Yes, it's been covered here.

First, let me say that this law firm probably doesn't know anything about a LEAF, and might not even know anything about the auto industry. They are trolling for business. They may be the best, worst, or something in the middle choice for a law firm for these issues, but I would seriously research any of them before signing on the dotted line.

Before anybody signs ANY attorney/client priviledge document, please take a deep breath (EVEN AFTER MR. PERRY'S or any other Nissan decision maker's announcement in the coming weeks) and then wait a week or two. My honest opinion is that there may be no other logical option, but companies don't "fix" things in litigation. They can't. They'd lose, since that's akin to admitting their product was faulty.

Anyway, all I'm asking for is wait a week AFTER the announcement. We'll hash it out here. If you still, then, don't have a good taste for the situation, do what you have to do.

LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:42 am

Or maybe an adverse court ruling would be the last straw that causes Nissan to discontinue selling the Leaf, at least in the United States. Sell it in other countries where the legal environment is more favorable, and let the U.S. content themselves with gasoline-powered models, as we continue our march into world-noncompetitive oblivion.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue
2016 SV-adjacent May 2016 lost 4th bar March 2018

ttweed
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1317

Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:55 am

Ultimately, the only ones who "win" in these kinds of lawsuits are the lawyers. :evil:

TT
Tom Tweed
La Jolla, CA
Plowshare Media
2011 SLe #1317 del. 4/1/11
1st bar lost at 31,953 miles
2nd bar lost at 38,685 miles
3rd bar lost at 50,711 miles
4th bar lost at 59,758 miles after 64 months
Battery replaced at 61,307 miles.

Herm
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2012

Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:02 am

LTLFTcomposite wrote:Or maybe an adverse court ruling would be the last straw that causes Nissan to discontinue selling the Leaf, at least in the United States.
Its a hostile anti-EV environment in the US right now, and Nissan is not helping. I have always felt that we would have trouble from one class of Leaf owners.. those with long range commutes desperate to get away from a gasoline bill. Apparently the batteries are holding up ok under heavy use as long as the weather is moderate.

LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:15 am

Herm wrote:
LTLFTcomposite wrote:Or maybe an adverse court ruling would be the last straw that causes Nissan to discontinue selling the Leaf, at least in the United States.
Its a hostile anti-EV environment in the US right now, and Nissan is not helping. I have always felt that we would have trouble from one class of Leaf owners.. those with long range commutes desperate to get away from a gasoline bill. Apparently the batteries are holding up ok under heavy use as long as the weather is moderate.
Wouldn't it be ironic to have a factory in Tennessee cranking out 150k Leafs a year and have every last one of them loaded on train cars headed for the port to be shipped to other parts of the world? So there are your "green jobs" (with health care) doing nothing to greenify things here. Assuming CO2 and other pollutants all get mixed around in the atmosphere sooner or later maybe it doesn't matter where the cars are. Let the Leaf ply the roads of Scandinavia where no doubt the thermal management is irrelevant.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue
2016 SV-adjacent May 2016 lost 4th bar March 2018

Herm
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2012

Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:22 am

LTLFTcomposite wrote: Assuming CO2 and other pollutants all get mixed around in the atmosphere sooner or later maybe it doesn't matter where the cars are. Let the Leaf ply the roads of Scandinavia where no doubt the thermal management is irrelevant.
Its pretty irrelevant what we do in the US compared to the amount of CO2 pumped out by the Pacific Rim nations.. if you want to do some good convince a person in China to keep an electric bicycle handy. The rest of the world wants cars and electric appliances now that they can afford it.

I prefer to use the energy-self sufficiency argument when talking about EV, and even that may be ignored with the recent explosion and glut in US produced crude.

The best thing to do is accelerate research into batteries and safe fail-safe nukes.

Stanton
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:32 am

LTLFTcomposite wrote:Or maybe an adverse court ruling would be the last straw that causes Nissan to discontinue selling the Leaf, at least in the United States. Sell it in other countries where the legal environment is more favorable, and let the U.S. content themselves with gasoline-powered models, as we continue our march into world-noncompetitive oblivion.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

Stoaty
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3871

Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:54 am

Herm wrote:Its pretty irrelevant what we do in the US compared to the amount of CO2 pumped out by the Pacific Rim nations.. if you want to do some good convince a person in China to keep an electric bicycle handy.
If you want to do some good convince a person in the U.S. to buy less of the stuff that China is making for us.
2011 Leaf with 62,000 miles given to Nephew
2013 Tesla Model S85 with 251 miles rated range at full charge
Leaf Spy Manual
Battery Aging Model Spreadsheet

Stanton
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:01 am

Stoaty wrote:
Herm wrote:Its pretty irrelevant what we do in the US compared to the amount of CO2 pumped out by the Pacific Rim nations.. if you want to do some good convince a person in China to keep an electric bicycle handy.
If you want to do some good convince a person in the U.S. to buy less of the stuff that China is making for us.
Well unless you don't want an iPad/iPod/iPhone (really just about any phone), PC, or a display to view it on (ok--that might be Korea), along with a multitude of other electronics, that will be pretty difficult. The continue long-term "off-shoring" of our manufacturing capability has seen to that. Of course, you could actually buy a US MADE Leaf next year if the hysteria (and lawyers) don't take care of that also :twisted:
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”