Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't the i using Toshiba's SCiB lithium-titanate oxide battery pack?

http://bit.ly/mievbattery" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not according to their FAQ:

Who makes the battery for the Mitsubishi i?

We do. The high-quality lithium-ion battery in the Mitsubishi i is made possible by Japan Lithium Energy. This company is a joint venture between GS Yuasa and Mitsubishi Corporation, giving us the ability to offer a battery that was specifically designed for our EV.

http://i.mitsubishicars.com/faq/battery

I don't know if this is simply a case of sloppy reporting, but this article provides some surprising statements.
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/aug/03/web-chat-alerts-nissan-leaf-woes/

This statement from Mark Perry is a new one on me:
"We've also been very transparent in making sure people know that battery capacity will degrade in very high heat – for instance, if the cars sit out in 110-degree heat for five hours a day."

They learned about the battery problems from their "internet monitors?"
Nissan's Internet monitors also learned about those complaints by reading recent Web discussions. Perry estimated there have been fewer than a dozen incidents and that the automaker is paying for battery repairs as it investigates.

for instance, if the cars sit out in 110-degree heat for five hours a day."

That was in the owner's manual after the "120F for 24 hours" thing. Didn't you see it in the latest revision, dated August 1, 2012 ?

:mrgreen:

Perry estimated there have been fewer than a dozen incidents .

Up from 5 or 6. I guess it doubled in a short time.

NEWS HEADLINE: Nissan admits battery degradation incidents doubled from two weeks ago !!!

BTW, hello Nissan !!!! Thanks for monitoring me :geek:

TonyWilliams said:
for instance, if the cars sit out in 110-degree heat for five hours a day."

That was in the owner's manual after the "120F for 24 hours" thing. Didn't you see it in the latest revision, dated August 1, 2012 ?

:mrgreen:

No, I don't have the revised owner's manual. I have not had that "recall" update and don't really plan to get it. So I am still going to go by the original manual. ;)

leafkabob said:
This statement from Mark Perry is a new one on me:
"We've also been very transparent in making sure people know that battery capacity will degrade in very high heat – for instance, if the cars sit out in 110-degree heat for five hours a day."
Wow - completely BS. I have never heard that before. In fact - I only recall ever seeing 2 heat-related things that would significantly affect capacity. 1. Heated paint booths when repairing a LEAF. 2. Storing a LEAF at 120F for over 24 hours will void the warranty.

Certainly "110F for 5 hours a day" was not a scenario given customers that I am aware of. I don't know what Perry is smoking here.

leafkabob said:
They learned about the battery problems from their "internet monitors?"
Nissan's Internet monitors also learned about those complaints by reading recent Web discussions. Perry estimated there have been fewer than a dozen incidents and that the automaker is paying for battery repairs as it investigates.
They're not doing a very good job - otherwise they would have spotted this issue months ago and nipped it in the bud. If they keep this up they are quickly going to see an angry mob of early adopters gathering with virtual pitchforks. They are not handling this situation well at all (see my earlier rant in the marketing thread).

azdre said:
What?!?!?!?!?! I really hope that was a misquote. I know most of you have seen this, but reposting... Fast forward to 3:30 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DShtvd5jJHQ&feature=plcp
Hah - Perry's quote there (link directly to quote):
This is not a you're just parked in the parking lot at 110 degrees and you have to worry about it - this is a you're parked in Death Valley and it's 130 degrees outside and you're going to leave it there for a week - that's bad
Completely opposite.

How many parts of the US (or world) might see 110 degress for 5 hours a day? Throw in radiated heat from hot asphalt and I think the answer is quite a few. I assume even one day of 110 degrees is bad. If that's the case many leafs could be exposed to this type of environment.

TonyWilliams said:
BTW, hello Nissan !!!! Thanks for monitoring me :geek:
They have definitely stepped up the scrutiny of this forum. There were even folks that labored through the entire 200 odd pages of this thread, some of them as recently as yesterday.

nissantraffic5

drees said:
They're not doing a very good job - otherwise they would have spotted this issue months ago and nipped it in the bud. If they keep this up they are quickly going to see an angry mob of early adopters gathering with virtual pitchforks. They are not handling this situation well at all (see my earlier rant in the marketing thread).
Agreed. I mentioned in a private conversation with a friend that at this rate, Nissan might be headed for an ugly confrontation with disenchanted owners in the not too distant future. What a train-wreck!

Ok, now I'm confused. if Mark Perry said the "110F in a few hours", I've got my pitchfork ready. If, however, somebody badly botched his statement, every post needs to be edited by the respective author, or moderator, to fix this.

WE DON'T NEED FUEL ON THE FIRE !!!!

TonyWilliams said:
Ok, now I'm confused. if Mark Perry said the "110F in a few hours", I've got my pitchfork ready. If, however, somebody badly botched his statement, every post needs to be edited by the respective author, or moderator, to fix this.

Directly from the article... I find it strange that there's no author to credit this article to, but it looks to be a mainstream rag.

azdre said:
I've never heard or seen this before. In fact, Nissan has been so vague with their battery care recommendations that we had regular arguments about this very topic. Here is what Mark Perry said in response to Darryl Siry's article in the Wired:

Mark Perry said:
Click to open

Don't park outside for 5 hours when it's over 110? Is that a joke? So he's telling owners in Phoenix that they can't drive their car to work for 30 days/year, since that's what we average? I was waiting for the cars to come back from Casa Grande and some kind of statement from Nissan, but if this is the garbage they are now proffering, then I'm also ready to grab my pitchfork. Unbelievable.

TonyWilliams said:

Fair enough. I've deleted my comment and stowed my pitchfork for the time being. :twisted:

The "very high heat" comment is seriously ridiculous, if it was a quoted correctly. That would probably include many (bland climate) Silicon Valley based LEAFs; I bet parking lot asphalt can get up there numerous days.

No sane person would buy a LEAF knowing that usage restriction. I'm seeing loss (probably more than I expected), but I haven't run a full capacity test in a long time... it looks like it may be time. :shock:

Not sure whether to laugh or cry at Mark Perry's memory of what he said. The Internet is going to make it difficult for him to do so much revisionist history.

Back