Gen 1 GM Volt Plug-In Hybrid (2011-2015)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RegGuheert said:
scottf200 said:
Insider: 1.4L Engine Discontinued in 2014 Chevrolet Volt by Jay Cole (Statik) 11Jun2012
scottf200 said:
I would guess there may be two voltec platform options on the Volt. Standard and Performance.
If that's so, then why discontinue the 1.4?
Adding a turbocharger now...it seems clear GM is intent on selling the most complicated passenger vehicle EVER!
I'm not convinced a larger engine is a good move for the Volt. :?:

I think they needed to do something for the Cadillac ELR as those buyers would expect reasonable/comparable performance. So if they had to engineer the Voltec platform for the ELR they could add it as an option on the Volt by my way of thinking.

I would think they would have a smaller option as well 1.0L turbo.

Turbos seem to be the trend:
Millions of turbocharged vehicles making for greater efficiency
By Don Bain on Wed, 05/30/2012
http://www.torquenews.com/397/millions-turbocharged-vehicles-making-greater-efficiency" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Turbochargers are both quietly and vociferously changing the vehicles on the roads of today, as more and more cars, like the 11 models with EcoBoost engines coming from Ford this year, as well as top sellers like the Chevy Cruze and Sonic come off the showroom floor with this option built right in.
<snip>

scottf200 said:
b) Wouldn't this then also mean there is no silly "mountain mode". That was added because the current configuration could not keep up.
I thought one of the wonders of EREV was that you could use a half sized engine.

I always thought the 1.4L engine was a bit undersized, but going all the way to a 2.0L turbo is a big jump.. I had predicted the 1.8L engine used in the base Cruze.

Why upgrade the engine:

1. genset will not have to rev so high in the hybrid mode, it will be much quieter in that mode.
2. prestige.. to stop that odious comparison many people make with a Cruze
3. get rid of the Mountain Mode
4. better economy in the hybrid mode, since the engine can run in its optimum point.. plus an atkinson (actually miller cycle) turbo engine with DFI may achieve higher efficiency through higher compression ratios. The turbo will be optimized for the application, no need to get rid of turbo lag.
5. higher performance

Herm said:
I always thought the 1.4L engine was a bit undersized, but going all the way to a 2.0L turbo is a big jump.. I had predicted the 1.8L engine used in the base Cruze.

Why upgrade the engine:

1. genset will not have to rev so high in the hybrid mode, it will be much quieter in that mode.
2. prestige.. to stop that odious comparison many people make with a Cruze
3. get rid of the Mountain Mode
4. better economy in the hybrid mode, since the engine can run in its optimum point.. plus an atkinson (actually miller cycle) turbo engine with DFI may achieve higher efficiency through higher compression ratios. The turbo will be optimized for the application, no need to get rid of turbo lag.
5. higher performance

Re: #2 & #5
They needed something for the Cadillac ELR anyway right? I'm guessing those buyers have higher performance expectations.

Re: #4
On a long long reasonably steep Mtn (Pikes Peak) the current configuration (generator + ICE) could not keep up ... thus the reason for Mtn Mode where you start at the bottom of the mountain at ~40% SOC so you can dip into the battery as needed when the ICE can't keep up.

Re: #1 and #4
Good post from T from GM-VOLT.com thread.
I think people are missing the use of this engine in a volt configuration. Theoretically, yes, this engine can produce 270hp, but it is not peak hp that will be used in a Volt configuration. Here, the engine will operate around peak torque levels and that occurs at a very low (260ft-lbs @1500rpm) compared to the 4000rpm required to produce the 93 ft-lbs in the current, naturally aspirated 1.4l volt engine (I understand the volt engine operates in a range of RPMS). At those RPMs (1500rpm and 4000rpm, respectively) and for virtually equivalent power (260*1500 vs 93*4000), I believe that the 2.0l turbo will be 15% more fuel efficient than the NA engine (I calculated the peak airflow for each engine at those rpms and then calculated the hypothetical fuel use based on the air/fuel ratio). Needless to say, I presume everyone here would be happy with a CS mode fuel efficiency of EPA 42.5mpg (EPA 37 mpg *1.15= 42.5mpg @ 1500rpm). [I am being very conservative with calculations too].

Volt fire Myths Debunked

http://voltowner.blogspot.com/2012/06/volt-fire-myth-debunked.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

scottf200 said:
<snip>

Re: #4
On a long long reasonably steep Mtn (Pikes Peak) the current configuration (generator + ICE) could not keep up ... thus the reason for Mtn Mode where you start at the bottom of the mountain at ~40% SOC so you can dip into the battery as needed when the ICE can't keep up.

<snip>
Re Mtn Mode: Since I don't follow the Volt forum, could any of our resident Volters (Voltages?) comment on whether or not Normal or MTN Mode is required to drive up to Tahoe (or Yosemite) from Sacramento or the Bay Area, keeping up with traffic (i.e., 70 mph up hill on I-80)? Both trips have long, sustained, fast climbs.

A question for the Voltafiles: Does the Volt have an indicator, as does the Leaf (tick marks next to the battery SOC bar-graph gauge), that shows the deterioration of the battery pack capacity? If so, what have people in hot climates like Phoenix been seeing?

TomT said:
A question for the Voltafiles: Does the Volt have an indicator, as does the Leaf , that shows the deterioration of the battery pack capacity?

No it does not..

Regarding using Mountain Mode from Tahoe to Sacramento.. just flip the switch and turn MM on as you leave your house, all it does is reserve a bit more energy in the battery... on a long distance trip the extra drop or two of gasoline you will use is inconsequential.

Herm said:
TomT said:
A question for the Voltafiles: Does the Volt have an indicator, as does the Leaf , that shows the deterioration of the battery pack capacity?

No it does not..

Regarding using Mountain Mode from Tahoe to Sacramento.. just flip the switch and turn MM on as you leave your house, all it does is reserve a bit more energy in the battery... on a long distance trip the extra drop or two of gasoline you will use is inconsequential.
Yeah, I know, I was more interested in whether the ICE can maintain freeway speed up the hill by itself (I'd think not), and if not, how far you could go in the respective modes before the battery power ran out and you were stuck in the truck lane getting your power from the ICE only.

Herm said:
TomT said:

No it does not..

unless you trip ends on the uphill, or just on the side, you don't have to waste anything.. just turn off MM after you are done the mountains. But even if you are going just up (e.g. to a ski condo), you can turn it off a bit before the trip ends and not waste anything. Going up I70 to summit county, I did just that but missed by estimated by 1-2 miles and had reduced propulsion mode that limited me to 65mph.

On the positive side I've found that using MM on trips with modest hllls can increase MPG_CS.. allowing me to have days with 50MPG_CS on 130mile trips.

GRA said:
Yeah, I know, I was more interested in whether the ICE can maintain freeway speed up the hill by itself (I'd think not), and if not, how far you could go in the respective modes before the battery power ran out and you were stuck in the truck lane getting your power from the ICE only.

I believe it can sustain 55 indefinitely.. that 80hp engine will suffer going up a mountain since its not turbocharged, add some headwind plus a heavy load and you have trouble. It should be easy to determine that steady speed by keeping an eye on the power flow status.

Herm said:
GRA said:

I believe it can sustain 55 indefinitely.. that 80hp engine will suffer going up a mountain since its not turbocharged, add some headwind plus a heavy load and you have trouble. It should be easy to determine that steady speed by keeping an eye on the power flow status.
I'm just going to have to rent one, and drive it up to Tahoe or Yosemite to see. Probably Yosemite, as Tioga Pass tops out at 9,941 so I'd get the ultimate test (in California), from Oakdale at ca. 125'.

The engine is about 75 horsepower. The electric motor is about 150 horsepower. So, at peak use, the engine can not provide necessary power for the 150 HP motor, and when this happens, it supplements the engine with the ~3kWh reserve power. When you run out of that, you will not be able to maintain highway speeds. The mountain mode is supposed to allow the Volt to drive to the highest peaks in the country and maintain speed, as long as it is activated in plenty of time to give it the extra 10% state of charge it needs.

Herm said:
depends on how much performance you want in that CUV.. better than a Volt or equivalent?

Maybe equivalent to the gas version. Or maybe just "good enough". Equinox 4 cylinder claims to be 182hp @ 6700rpm and 172ft-lbs @ 4900rpm.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Any thoughts on whether the Volt power train would be adequate for a small CUV like the Equinox?
Taking a wild guess on what's likely to be in it, I would suspect the Cadillac ELR power train would fit a CUV better... But we'll have to see if they pony up the ELR compared to the Volt.

Back