80% Charge only 9 bars?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just turned my climate off. Bumped SOC up to 92.5 / 260, which I guess is my new 99.6% (92.8 / 261 being my new 100%). But that's still at least a 2% loss in 6 weeks compared to only 5% loss over the previous 16 months.

Edit: end of day numbers in. Still consistent with the rest of the week. Note slightly higher end counts due to increased use of ECO on the drive home:

0 miles / 92.5 / 260 Gids / 393.5 v
30.5 miles / 60.1 / 167 Gids / 379.5 v
61 miles / 30.2 / 85 Gids / 367 v

Most of the people in DFW can't measure SOC, but looks like there is more than just temp effect on battery GID loss. tzzhc4 kept his car in AC garage and is experiencing GID loss. Will be great to know if desperately looking for shaded parking spot at work make much sense?

Today, for the first time ever, it charged to 80% but only 9 bars... A restart of charging almost immediately terminate the charge at still 9 bars... Weird. I may need to do a 100% overnight to let it equalize and see what happens...

Here's something weird I saw today. I've been almost always getting 9 bars on 80% charge lately. Once in a while (like this morning), I manually start the charging process again to see how long it'd take to go to 10 bars. Usually it takes a few minutes. I then stop the charging once confirmed that it takes only a few minutes to go to 10 bars.

Well, I haven't driven the Leaf at all since last night. It's been sitting in the garage since I charged it to 10 bars this morning. But I just checked again (at around 2pm) and noticed that it now drops back to 9 bars. That was a surprise because I thought it wouldn't drop back to 9 bars from 10 bars so fast just sitting there in the garage.

Volusiano said:
Here's something weird I saw today. I've been almost always getting 9 bars on 80% charge lately. Once in a while (like this morning), I manually start the charging process again to see how long it'd take to go to 10 bars. Usually it takes a few minutes. I then stop the charging once confirmed that it takes only a few minutes to go to 10 bars.

Well, I haven't driven the Leaf at all since last night. It's been sitting in the garage since I charged it to 10 bars this morning. But I just checked again (at around 2pm) and noticed that it now drops back to 9 bars. That was a surprise because I thought it wouldn't drop back to 9 bars from 10 bars so fast just sitting there in the garage.

The battery probably warmed up a little bit in your garage. Since a warmer battery can store more energy, the same energy shows 9 bars instead of 10.

Gerry

For the first time that I am aware of, an overnight 80% charge resulted in just 9 bars on the fuel gauge.

What is even more unusual is after driving three miles, the time to 80% estimate is blank. Normally I see 10 mins to 80% at 240v after driving a mile or two. It is reporting charge times like I have 10 bars. 9 bars normally would show 20 mins to charge to 80%.

Anybody else seen this erratic charge estimate and overnight charge shortcoming?

DSC_0269.JPG

A tad over 10.5 bars and you see 10.
A bit under 10.5 and you see 9 Bars.
Very little difference in actual charge.

For the charging estimate, maybe zero does not display well.

smkettner said:
Normal. Charge to 100% and see if it helps.
There is a big thread discussing this already.

Thanks for the advice.

As chance would have it my wife was planning a longer trip and I charged to 100% after lunch. I'll see how it goes from here.

JP

I have had my Leaf for 11 months. I keep it charged between 2 and 10 bars and have charged to 100% exactly once. For the first 10 months my charge to 80% gave me 10 bars. Over this past month I get 9 bars. Is this of concern? (I apologize if this was discussed elsewhere, I did not find it.)

Add me to the list. I know this thread is chock full of "it doesn't matter, it doesn't mean anything, etc.", but it's still interesting. Had the car 1 year Friday, and oddly enough starting friday I consistently get 9 bars on 80% charge, but not once before friday have I ever got anything other than 10 bars. Odd that it would be so consistently one way before, then suddenly be so consistently the other way. For reference I charge to 100% every friday, 80% every other day, and have done so for the past several months (for the first few months I only ever charged to 80%).

Having said that, it definitely doesn't seem to indicate any significant capacity change - I drop to 8 bars at about 8-8.5 miles, exactly as I did before (before it was 2-3 miles to 9 bars, then 8 bars at around 8-8.5 miles).

Anyway, it doesn't seem to indicate anything important, but I can't help but be curious about what changed to make it move from consistently 10 to consistently 9. Just an interesting question.

smkettner said:
OP seems to have lost the first capacity bar about 45 days after noticing the 9 bars at 80%
Anyone else keep track?
Here is what I posted on May 6, 2012 in this thread:
I think Volusiano may have been the first to report this phenomenon last summer. I noticed it happening to me in mid-summer as I recall and it seemed to go back to a 10-bar showing in the fall and winter. I noticed it again in the past week or so.

Edit: I just noticed that Volusiano noted that he first began seeing the 9bar charges in 4th Quarter 2011.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8921&start=490#p208447
I thought it was last summer but obviously it was a few months later. At any rate I recall that I didn't notice it until after he mentioned it.

leafkabob said:
Edit: I just noticed that Volusiano noted that he first began seeing the 9bar charges in 4th Quarter 2011.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8921&start=490#p208447
I thought it was last summer but obviously it was a few months later. At any rate I recall that I didn't notice it until after he mentioned it.
I might have originally reported it in summer 2011, Leafkabob, like you remember. But I recently changed my report to Q4'11 instead of summer 11 because although it might have started in summer 11, it was pretty rare until Q4'11 when it began to happen more often. By April'11 it became a consistent occurence, and by May'11 I lost my 1st capacity bar.

There seems to be an observation now that more regular 9-bar-at-80%-SOC is an early indicator that you'll lose your first capacity bar soon.

Add me to the list of 9 bars at 80% charge since yesterday.

Also yesterday I believe was the first day the temp hit over 100F here in Dallas, I saw 7 temp bars for the first time.

Back