Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
myleaf said:
I finally built my SOC kit and measured after 100% charge. I got 227. I ran the climate control using CW for 30 mins and it went to 229. This level of degradation maybe consistent for Phx. I normally charge to 80%. What is odd is that I still have all my capacity bars.
Yes, but it sounds like you are right on the edge of losing the first capacity bar. :(

I just posted earlier in a new headline to highlight it, but Dallas, Texas, 1 year (exactly), 20,206 miles, First battery bar gone. So it is not just Arizona...

Stoaty said:
myleaf said:
I finally built my SOC kit and measured after 100% charge. I got 227. I ran the climate control using CW for 30 mins and it went to 229. This level of degradation maybe consistent for Phx. I normally charge to 80%. What is odd is that I still have all my capacity bars.
Yes, but it sounds like you are right on the edge of losing the first capacity bar. :(

Yes, they are at a 14% loss right now. They will lose it soon. One other driver that I tested was at 14%, and the next day he lost the first bar.

I am just wandering what the dealers in hot climates say to the prospective buyers when they are asked about capacity loss :?: .

camasleaf said:
I am just wandering what the dealers in hot climates say to the prospective buyers when they are asked about capacity loss :?: .

Unless those buyers are on some LEAF forum, they won't know to ask about capacity loss in hot climates. Most of their questions are: How far can it go on a charge?, How long does it take to charge?, How much does it cost to charge?, and How fast does it go?

1. Azdre - Reported bar lost mid April to early May, 2012. 17K miles/14 months ownership. Phoenix
2. bturner - May 12, 2012. 13.6K/12 months. Phoenix
3. turbo2ltr - May 18, 2012. 13K/15 months. Phoenix
4. TickTock - May 20, 2012. 14K/12 months Phoenix
5. Volusiano - May 20, 2012. 16.5K/12 months. Phoenix
6. Mark13 - May 22, 2012. 15.7K/12 months. Phoenix
7. Leafkabob - May 26, 2012. 9.5K/12 months. Phoenix
8. Cyellen - __________. ___K/14 months. Phoenix
9. RickS - June 10, 2012. 11.3K/13 months. Phoenix
10. Pipcecil - June 17, 2012. 20.2K/12 months. Dallas, Texas

Not reported by owner, but by others:
1. Opossum has reported of two cars in Phoenix that have lost 2 bars.
2. Leafkabob reported a street encounter with a Leaf owner who stated he lost a bar after about a year.
3. Skywagon approx. May, 2012. Phoenix

Stoaty said:
myleaf said:
At 228 I had all 12, next 100% charge after losing the top bar was 225 so yeah, any day now.

leafkabob said:
1. Azdre - Reported bar lost mid April to early May, 2012. 17K miles/14 months ownership. Phoenix
2. bturner - May 12, 2012. 13.6K/12 months. Phoenix
3. turbo2ltr - May 18, 2012. 13K/15 months. Phoenix
4. TickTock - May 20, 2012. 14K/12 months Phoenix
5. Volusiano - May 20, 2012. 16.5K/12 months. Phoenix
6. Mark13 - May 22, 2012. 15.7K/12 months. Phoenix
7. Leafkabob - May 26, 2012. 9.5K/12 months. Phoenix
8. Cyellen - __________. ___K/14 months. Phoenix
9. RickS - June 10, 2012. 11.3K/13 months. Phoenix
10. Pipcecil - June 17, 2012. 20.2K/12 months. Dallas, Texas

Not reported by owner, but by others:
1. Opossum has reported of two cars in Phoenix that have lost 2 bars.
2. Leafkabob reported a street encounter with a Leaf owner who stated he lost a bar after about a year.
3. Skywagon approx. May, 2012. Phoenix

I think it would be very useful to also tally up all the cars in Phoenix > 12months that *have not* yet lost a bar. I realize it won't be a proper random sample since you could argue folks who have not lost a bar are less likely to post/vent (I, for example, only became active last October when I started to suspect something amiss) but it would be nice for those folks to speak up to try to get some perspective on the severity of the issue.

My Leaf officially lost a capacity bar today, after less than 10 months of ownership and 13,745 miles. I charged to 80% and noticed one bar missing this morning. I usually charge to 80%, but at 100% 1-2 times per week. I've quick-charged about 8 times since I've owned the car. The car is garaged and charged at night with an end timer ending shortly before I go to work. During the day, the car is almost always outside in a parking lot. My average efficiency over the last several weeks has been 4.4 mi/kwh

phxsmiley said:
My Leaf officially lost a capacity bar today, after less than 10 months of ownership and 13,745 miles. I charged to 80% and noticed one bar missing this morning. I usually charge to 80%, but at 100% 1-2 times per week. I've quick-charged about 8 times since I've owned the car. The car is garaged and charged at night with an end timer ending shortly before I go to work. During the day, the car is almost always outside in a parking lot. My average efficiency over the last several weeks has been 4.4 mi/kwh

Just in case you don't know, losing capacity will not affect your efficiency/m/kW h. You could be down to 85% or even 70% battery capacity and the effect on your efficiency is nil.

LEAFfan said:
phxsmiley said:

Just in case you don't know, losing capacity will not affect your efficiency/m/kW h. You could be down to 85% or even 70% battery capacity and the effect on your efficiency is nil.

I know the efficiency is not related to the capactiy, I was just reporting that as a measure that the car hasn't been driven hard.

EdmondLeaf said:
so we may say that during summer car stay at bar 7 for 16h?
Not sure about that. I don't seem to get 7 bars until sometime in the afternoon, but it lasts until after midnight. Probably more like 12 hours. My garage is hot until late at night, but I have a box fan trying to pull in some outside air. Hopefully, it's cooled down to 6 bars by the time charging starts. At morning, it's always been back to 6 bars.

TickTock said:
Stoaty said:
myleaf said:
At 228 I had all 12, next 100% charge after losing the top bar was 225 so yeah, any day now.
Would it be fair to say that the threshold was 225 Gids for the first capacity bar on a full charge, and 208 Gids for the second capacity bar?

phxsmiley said:

Damn. Our cars are very close in age. I took mine home on 8/6/2011, VIN is 6188, and mileage is 10,145. Still have all 12, but a month ago LEAFfan's scan gauge read an 85.7% after a 100% charge.

It's about 11:15pm local time and I think today's high was about 110 degrees. Temp bar on my garaged LEAF is currently at 6. In the evenings, there are usually 7 temperature bars.

problem is that bar 6 have no much value because it covers range from 74 till 98. IMO you are perfectly fine if you close to 74 but not really if you in 98 zone. Just installed my battery temp measurement system to see what is really going on.
If this is of any value switch back from temp bar 6 to 5 is at 72.3F

By contrast with the Volt:

http://www.hybridcars.com/news/gm-tweaks-2013-volt-increased-range-and-more-46843.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

While GM has milked an incremental gain in energy density, it also reports “tests have revealed less battery degradation,” not that there were known problems before.

We have a LEAF and a Volt. Love both cars, but we are admitedly concerned about the LEAF, especially since we bought instead of leasing. Good to hear the owners in more temperate climates like CA and WA seem to be doing okay in terms of capacity, but seems like us desert-dwellers are hurting.

Any Tucson LEAF owners out there? Just wondering if any of you are losing capacity bars. Is it usually about 8-10 degrees cooler there in the summer?

It appears that GM is going to have the last laugh when it comes to batteries and battery thermal management... I wonder if Nissan wishes they had changed their mind on no management for the Leaf at this point...

Leasing just continues to look better and better. I wonder where my battery will be at the end of the four years...

shrink said:
While GM has milked an incremental gain in energy density, it also reports “tests have revealed less battery degradation,” not that there were known problems before.

Back